Do Not Sell My Personal Information

P0642 Code, car will not start

kingtibu

i have P0642  code on my 2010 ford mondeo TDCI, it will not start at all, it had p0113, p0642 and p0069, i replaced 2 sensors on the throttle body now only p0642 code is showing, but still no start. Any help would be much appreciated.

Are you using FORScan, would expect to see another code along with that telling which sensor it is.

hiya it came with the p0113 and p0069 code, both sensors replaced, both codes are now gone but now only showing the P0642 code

Theses are generic codes not Ford specific which may give you more information so I take it you did not read with a Ford specific fault code reader. P0642 is sensor reference voltage A low. Possibly bad connection or wiring fault. See if you can get a Ford specific code. Which sensors did you replace ?

I replaced the map sensor and intake air temperature sensor

• 1 month later...

just an update ford have had the car 2 months replaced the ecu, checked the wiring and the car still wont start, ford cannot fix the car. i dont know what else to do

• Sad 2

I can't help a feeling of deja vu with this problem.... I've a feeling I've read a recent-ish post with a similar issue that turned out to be something quite trivial but had defied efforts of the garage to solve. 

Hiya nicam, could you point me to this post, could be the same problem, I'm scratching my head here lol

Well it's only a feeling! No promises that'll I'll find it, but if you have the time, have a trawl through the pages over the last 3 years. 

Cheers mate will do

Thank you

KenM asked if you're reading the codes using forscan,  if you're not, then I recommend you to get a reader from Tunnelrat electronics and download Forscan 'cos that way you'll read the Ford specific codes, not just generic ones. 

ford read the codes and it was a p0069 and a p0642, they have checked the wiring and changed the pcm, still no joy

47 minutes ago, kingtibu said:

ford read the codes and it was a p0069 and a p0642,

Both of those codes are generic and very wide reaching. I'm not sure what your Ford main dealer was using to read the DTC's but I'd expect more specific codes, and on the bases of them I certainly wouldn't be replacing PCM's on a whim.

Personally I'd do two things at this stage of the game. Firstly I'd get FORScan and read the DTC's for myself. Second I'd find a different main Ford dealership, one that has a fully qualified Ford auto electrical technician.

If you were closer to me I'd read the codes for you. Perhaps you know someone in Norfolk who has FORScan on their windows laptop or even on their phone ?

• Like 2

At what point did the car stop running, was it before the sensors were changed, were they changed by Ford, how was the car running prior to this. Is this something you want to take on yourself or do you need to find someone to do it for you?

8 minutes ago, unofix said:

Both of those codes are generic and very wide reaching. I'm not sure what your Ford main dealer was using to read the DTC's but I'd expect more specific codes, and on the bases of them I certainly wouldn't be replacing PCM's on a whim.

Personally I'd do two things at this stage of the game. Firstly I'd get FORScan and read the DTC's for myself. Second I'd find a different main Ford dealership, one that has a fully qualified Ford auto electrical technician.

If you were closer to me I'd read the codes for you. Perhaps you know someone in Norfolk who has FORScan on their windows laptop or even on their phone ?

Hiya, I only have 1 ford dealership near me, the next one is 25 miles away, but the one near me are useless, it took them weeks to come to the conclusion it's the pcm, and even then they didn't know how to code the pcm properly, said the new one wasn't blank, but it's new? I was looking at getting the vcm 2 with ids software

7 minutes ago, KenM said:

At what point did the car stop running, was it before the sensors were changed, were they changed by Ford, how was the car running prior to this. Is this something you want to take on yourself or do you need to find someone to do it for you?

Car went into limp mode near home, and died, read the codes and changed sensors, then had recovery come out and he saw the was no signal going to the camshaft sensor so I changed that and no joy, after sent it to ford, who also couldn't fix it. I don't mind doing it myself just need the right direction to go in.

It might help if you buy a reader that will work with Forscan, which not only reads Ford - specific codes, but also can monitor live data. Won't cost an arm and a leg either, check out Tunnelrat electronics' offerings, - maybe other forum members can recomend  alternatives. 

https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/product/usb-modified-with-switch-elm327

• Like 1

https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/product/vgate-vlinker-fs-usb

This would probably be better, can read high and medium speed can switching automatically, Forscan software is free link below, you would need a multimeter and wiring diagrams as well.

https://forscan.org/download.html

Cheers guys, im off this week, so will start investigating

• Like 1

Hey guys

i did some further investigating and found that the wiring was corroded, i found that within 15 mins, theres nothing wrong with the ecu at all. Ford had my car for 2 months and with a bill of close to 1k. They didnt check the wiring and made me buy parts i didnt need too. Im going to make a formal complaint against that branch and the technicians, i want my money back. Thank you guys for all your help, can i splice these wires together or is it best to get a seperate wire of the same colours and join them?

PXL_20230716_074449013.jpg

PXL_20230716_074501269.jpg

PXL_20230716_075029849.jpg

PXL_20230716_075036990.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

It’s nice to have the same colour but doesn’t matter, just cut back to good cable and splice some new cables in, solder and heat shrink then tape it back up. Well done finding it. I would certainly be paying the dealer a visit especially as they were meant to have checked the wiring.

• Like 3

Show the dealership a picture of that mess and make it clear you expect them to collect the car asap and fix it properly...at no further cost to yourself.

• Like 2

Just to say: well done!  👏👍

Where abouts is that bit of damaged loom? Can you zoom out and take another pic.... did you have to undo the binding to expose the damaged wires? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kingtibu said:

i found that within 15 mins, theres nothing wrong with the ecu at all.

Well done Thomas !!

I found a very similar fault last year on an Ecosport.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nicam49 said:

Just to say: well done!  👏👍

Where abouts is that bit of damaged loom? Can you zoom out and take another pic.... did you have to undo the binding to expose the damaged wires? 

I found that underneath the air box, it's a y shaped loom, I cut all the insulation off, and at the point it goes into one, it was all corroded and separated, 2 wires broken and covered in corrosion. I will take a zoomed out picture tomorrow and post

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club