Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2004 Ford StreetKa CSM Code - Help Needed

dankeogh

Hi all,

I've plugged our 2004 (MY2003.5) StreetKa into Forscan for an unrelated issue (ABS light on, 2 codes, both of which relate to the wheel speed sensor so will get that replaced). We have found another code within the CSM for the following:

B2160 - Remote Personalization Output Circuit Short to battery

We have two remote keys, one of which unlocks and locks the doors and opens the boot as normal. The other does nothing, even after replacing the battery and syncing it to the car. The alarm doesn't work, and I can't remember the last time it did - I've tested it by leaving a door open, locking the car and then opening from the inside. This doesn't do anything, even so much as set the hazards flashing. If we lock the car with the remote and then open it with the key manually, this also doesn't set it off.

The alarm module is definitely present behind the carpet in the boot - are the issues with it not working and one of the keys doing nothing related? And if so, will replacing the CSM fix it? I'm not too sure on how much work would be involved to do this.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dan

16 minutes ago, dankeogh said:

The other does nothing, even after replacing the battery and syncing it to the car.

Has that key ever worked in the time you have owned the car ?

When programming it in to the cars system have you done both the remote function and the passive transponder ?

Are sure that the car actually has a full alarm system fitted ? Some Ford StreetKa were only fitted with the immobiliser and not an audible alarm.

Now that you mention it, we can't remember it ever working. But having said that, I've taken both keys apart to change the batteries and they both have exactly the same internals. It's worth pointing out that I can start the car with both keys, so the transponder works fine.

It has the PAT sticker on the window and it does look to have some form of alarm system in the boot. It's a Luxury spec too, if that helps. I'm not sure if an alarm was standard on those.

EDIT: Worth mentioning that until late June, this car was off the road for the best part of a year with the battery taken out. Does anything need to be done to re-sync the alarm / central locking system upon reconnection of a battery?

18 minutes ago, dankeogh said:

I've taken both keys apart to change the batteries and they both have exactly the same internals. It's worth pointing out that I can start the car with both keys, so the transponder works fine.

Well the fact that either key will start the car is a good news. So as you say at least the transponder is working. The remote may just simply be broken and not transmitting, or it is not an original and is the incorrect variant for your car. Using the programming method (should be in the hand book) what happens when you try to programme in the remote function ?  Very important to remember that you have to programme in both the keys (meaning the one that is working now) at the same time or else the system will only remember the first key.

23 minutes ago, dankeogh said:

It has the PAT sticker on the window and it does look to have some form of alarm system in the boot. It's a Luxury spec too, if that helps. I'm not sure if an alarm was standard on those.

PAT confirms it has the passive anti theft system fitted but unfortunately doesn't confirm one way or the other about it having an alarm. Can you post a photo of the unit that is fitted in the boot ?

26 minutes ago, dankeogh said:

this car was off the road for the best part of a year with the battery taken out.

There should be no need to do anything to get things back in sync. If the battery is in good condition and fully charged then all will be OK. If you want to try an all module reset then just disconnect the battery lead from the negative terminal and leave it off for 20 ~ 30 minutes before reconnecting. After 5 minutes all modules will have rebooted.

When I go into programming mode, I press both buttons on both keys and the LED on the clock blinks confirming it's registered, but only one of them works. The other one simply doesn't respond to any button presses etc. I've also tried to programme each key in one at a time just to rule that out and that doesn't work either.

I've attached a photo of the module that's fitted in the boot.

image_67192065.JPG

2 hours ago, dankeogh said:

I've attached a photo of the module that's fitted in the boot.

Well that's a curious looking unit 🤔

I'm not even sure it's Ford original equipment (but it could be). It looks like some after market unit but what, I just don't know.

Perhaps @iantt will know what it is ?

As far as I know it's never had an aftermarket system fitted. The Luxury trim did come with an alarm as standard according to my research so that may well be the original one - it may just be goosed.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club