Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 C-Max Grand Sync 2 Nav issue

DaftStu

Hi guys

We have a 2016 C-Max Grand.  Over recent months, when using the navigation, the map screen keeps glitching back to the main Navigation page, as if someone has pressed the back button.  Sometimes it stays on for a few minutes, sometimes for a few seconds, but eventually the route that you have inputted disappears and you're back to the main nav menu.

My wife loves this car so much, and wants to keep it for at least another 4 years, and as such she wants this fixed.  She wants me to take it in to Ford, but previous experience with ford with a similar issue with a sync unit on a Focus leads me to believe their solution will be to replace the full sync unit at north of a grand.

Has anyone had a similar fault before? It feels like a bad connection somewhere or a ground fault on the touchscreen maybe.  Are there any obvious remedies I should try? I've already tried a sync reset, an update, and reverting to an older map data card all to no avail

Failing that, if anyone knows a good auto electrician in South Manchester who will quote me to diagnose this, then I'm all ears

Thanks guys (and girls?)

Check all the connections at the rear and see if the radio (ACM) needs a software update.

Upgrading to Sync3 would suit you better, if you plan to keep the vehicle, it's much better

Hey thanks Dave for your quick reply

I have checked online with ford using my VIN and it tells me that maps and sync are up to date.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DxC3L3WZTfc8juur6

These are the other data points I have been able to find:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zeVPZp6oGFA51oSP9

I'm not sure how to tell if the ACM needs updating, or how to do it - I can't find it in the menu tree anywhere

Re: checking connections - I'd love to have a go.  Is there a guide on here to show me how to disassemble enough of the dash to do it? And would it just be a case of checking/wiggling the connectors and maybe spraying some contact cleaner?

Re your other point - I looked at updating Sync 2 to 3 a while ago, and at the time it seemed a bit shady, having to order bits from china etc

Is this now something that a lot of people have done, and are there garages in the UK who do it routinely do you know?

Thanks again Dave I do appreciate you taking the time to reply 👍

1 hour ago, DaftStu said:

Hey thanks Dave for your quick reply

I have checked online with ford using my VIN and it tells me that maps and sync are up to date.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DxC3L3WZTfc8juur6

These are the other data points I have been able to find:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zeVPZp6oGFA51oSP9

I'm not sure how to tell if the ACM needs updating, or how to do it - I can't find it in the menu tree anywhere

Re: checking connections - I'd love to have a go.  Is there a guide on here to show me how to disassemble enough of the dash to do it? And would it just be a case of checking/wiggling the connectors and maybe spraying some contact cleaner?

Re your other point - I looked at updating Sync 2 to 3 a while ago, and at the time it seemed a bit shady, having to order bits from china etc

Is this now something that a lot of people have done, and are there garages in the UK who do it routinely do you know?

Thanks again Dave I do appreciate you taking the time to reply 👍

For Sync2 to Sync3 upgrade message @Rowan112 on here, he can do these with his eyes closed, 2nd hand parts other than a Chinese GPS antennae 

ACM update will need to go to Ford, takes about 10 minutes so expect an hour's labour.

If you mention when booking in that you want the ACM software updating to the latest level, due to the resetting at start-up issue, they will know you know what you are talking about

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club