Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dash board and controls cut out Grand C Max

Anna MRB

Recently had steering rack replaced in my 2011 ford grand c-max diesel. Immediately after engine warning light came on. Mechanic spent many hours tracking down an electrical fault. A week later the entire dash blanked out as driving and all controls dropped to zero eg speedo, fuel gauge. At same time indicators stopped working and electric windows. After several minutes all came back on with warning about failed immobiliser and brake fluid. The couple of minutes later controls all died again. This cycle just keeps continuing. Mechanically car seems fine. Please help.

This could very well just be the common dry solder joints of the instrument cluster failing. An easy repair for about £85

@rd457 can possibly help.

You really should use FORScan and a vLinker FS cable to read all of the DTC's

Also you should check the battery State Of Charge 1 hour after it's parked.

28 minutes ago, unofix said:

This could very well just be the common dry solder joints of the instrument cluster failing. An easy repair for about £85

@rd457 can possibly help.

You really should use FORScan and a vLinker FS cable to read all of the DTC's

Also you should check the battery State Of Charge 1 hour after it's parked.

Wouldn't have thought dry solder joints on 2011 grand c max. That's the era of MK3 focus . Maybe  body control module water ingress ? Or maybe a bad earth point near the steering rack  disturbed. 

22 minutes ago, iantt said:

maybe a bad earth point near the steering rack  disturbed. 

Yes, that's a good point.

Yeah apparently (checking wikipedia) the 'grand' variant was introduced with the 2nd gen models, starting in 2011, so I'd expect it's IC model wouldn't be one affected by the cracked joint problem.

You could try hitting the dash above the instrument cluster and see if the cluster reacts. Just a thought , I know it did on my son’s mk2.5 Focus , worth a try?

Could be BCM but it's probably more damaged wiring somewhere

Thank you for all the advice. Me and my partner have no knowledge of cars. Is this something we would need to contact a ford dealer about? My usual mechanics seem unsure about it all.

Mechanic plugged some diagnostic screen in and said it was showing loss of connection in multiple places?

4 hours ago, Anna MRB said:

. Is this something we would need to contact a ford dealer about?

Most probably, or you need a good auto-electrician. What you don't need is a mechanic !!

The diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's) need to be read using FORScan or Fords own equipment. Your mechanic is very probably using a generic brand code reader which don't read all of the Ford specific DTC's.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club