Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo Tdci Starting Problem

mondiesel

Hello all.

I am scratching my head now, I have a 54 mondeo TDCI 103000 miles old. All has been great until it randomly started playing up :-( Now its very random so not sure what a dealer could do. I have had the clutch replaced 4000 miles ago, maybe related. I have changed the cam position sensor for the grey colour(new style)one and have changed the glow plugs. The reason I mention the clutch is because maybe the crank sensor took a knock when the garage had the gearbox off or is the pick up for the crank mounted slighty different on the new flywheel? The car has on occasion failed to fire up after turning over and has had flashing coil light, Off and on the key a couple of times and it fires up. Other times it will start first time and then hunt between 750 rpm and 1500. Off and on again with the key and its fine. This is now getting to be about 2 in 10 starts and is becoming guess work as to whether it will start. The car is well maintained and upto date on all its filters etc, the battery is strong and it has fuel in it.

Help please.

Many thanks in advance to any of you tech gurus.

Hi Mondisel

check fuel pressure could be a failing pump.

is the glowplug warning lamp flashing? if so would def look at fuel pump for wear.

has the fuel filter been changed?

tom

Hi, When the problem happens the coil light flashes. But over the last few days it seems to be behaving its self. All the consumables are changed regularly if not more frequent than the stated mileage I have a friendly parts factor person often free.

Also the fuel pressure is one of the dashboard codes that you can cycle through but what is a good fuel pressure reading. Any Ideas.

Hi Mondiesel

not sure of pressure but there is a fuel pressure sensor that should read

between pin 3 & earth ignition on 5 volt

between pin 1 & earth ignition on .5 volt

however if your fault is intermitent these may read o.k.

tom

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club