Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help!! Mondeo Rear Window Has Shattered For No Reason

LozzySHE

Hi,

The rear window of my dad's Mondeo Titanium X Estate has shattered - seemingly all on its own! No sound of any impact at all... he got back home and when he parked up he heard a "tinkering" noise - looked back and the window broke! We've had the car for years and never had a problem before. The roads he was going down before the window broke were his usual roads, which are very smooth and slow-paced (30mph around town)

Photos below:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

This is really weird and I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Is this a common problem for Mondeos? As far as we can tell, it doesn't look as though the window has been under any stress and there was never a sound of the window being hit.

i have seen it on other cars where the rear screen element has over heated but not on the mondeo

It happened to my Laguna and was a common problem on them it also affects other makes

looks like the tint may have caused the element to over heat the glass, putting it under stress and causing it to fracture.

has the car ever been involved in an accident?

Its nothing to do with overheating, its due to stress in the glass

it depends, ive seen it twice before where tinters have slightly damaged the heating element and it causes it to get really hot and fragile thus shattering.

Dave

I think the black tint has held the heat and stress cracked the glass - the breakage is to widespread to be just a small point of overheating.

Now that's weird! My other vehicle is of japanese origin. and hasd one of those "sticky out" parking mirrors to the rear... I once watched cracks materialize in the mirror as i was parking on eday for no reason whatsoever... But a window shattering certainly is a weird one... Just out of curiousity, you didn't happen to find an iced bun on the rear seat when you returned to the car did you by any chance? :blink:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8316462/Police-investigate-iced-bun-car-attack.html

Now that's weird! My other vehicle is of japanese origin. and hasd one of those "sticky out" parking mirrors to the rear... I once watched cracks materialize in the mirror as i was parking on eday for no reason whatsoever... But a window shattering certainly is a weird one... Just out of curiousity, you didn't happen to find an iced bun on the rear seat when you returned to the car did you by any chance? :blink:

http://www.telegraph...car-attack.html

hahahahahahahahaha

my brother had a rear window go like this in a sierra years ago , it was in the winter and there was a sudden thaw once night

....his car was snowed/iced over when we letf it but when we returned the following morning the sudden thaw had caused his rear window to completely shatter........