Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk4 Gearbox

Lee churchyard

Hi my mk4 mondeo started to give me problems ie gearbox it was hard to get it in first gear in the morning and second once it warmed up it was a bit better had a new clutch dmf and bearing so it's all new in there it was good for a few days but although better still seams a bit clunkie in the morning any ideas plz

Was the clutch fork checked?

They can bend a little.

What's that ?

The clutch fork is the bit that disengages the clutch by pulling the plates apart.

If it's out of shape the clutch will not disengage correctly.

Not from a Mondeo but It will look something like this-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mk-2-RS-2000-Genuine-Ford-Clutch-Fork-/270921945984?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f1434d380

Mk4 mondeos don't have that it's all dun by hydrolics if I've spelt that right

• 3 years later...

I have the same problem.

I personally suspect something to do with the gearbox as when driving the gearchange was fairly smooth and the bite was sharp. But like you selecting first or reverse when the car is static was mostly very difficult.

Anyway I took it to the local ford dealership (Macklin Motors) who had their "Master Technician" asses it and he diagnosed the clutch was at fault. ( I was still skeptical) but let them change the clutch complete including the DMF. (My wallet is now very light)

I put the car in on the morning and it was ready at 4.30 (I was impressed) but hey presto the fault is still there.

I ran it for a day to give the clutch time to bed but no change so I asked to go for a run with the technician so I could explain exactly the fault. The car was making an out to be a liar as it was selecting 1st with just slight difficulty but he could not select reverse without selecting one of the forward gears and eventually accepted there was a problem.

The car goes back in next Tuesday and when they have said they will have to take the box back out.

Update to follow.....

The cables may need adjusting, prone to going out of adjustment

If the car is having difficulty selecting gears while stationary then it's likely to bhe clutch related. The reason is this: provided the car is completely stationary when you push the clutch down, every thing in the gearbox should stop moving. Try selecting first or reverse before you switch on. If it selects easily, but won't when you start the engine, it suggests the clutch is not quite disengaging 100%

One thing you can try which might help is to press the clutch in and hold for 2 or 3 seconds before you try to select the offending gear. This gives the clutch disc time to stop spinning, it helps sometimes.

Thanks Clutchman I will give the 2 second rule a try.

What I have noticed is that when I park the car on my drive which is sloped. It seems to go into reverse no probem, especially first thing in the morning.

At other times and when on flat ground is when the difficulty selecting occurs.

UPDATE:

The car went in to Macklin Motors this morning. I got a phone call from the service desk in the afternoon to advise that the Synchro on the lower gears was the problem so the box has to be opened and a few parts replaced.

I questioned why the clutch was replaced in the first instance and was told that it also needed replaced but the synchro could have been done at the same time, "So I would not be charged for the work involved removing the gearbox on this occasion"

I would be charged for opening the gearbox and replacing the worn parts. Cost not far off of £800 on this occasion.

I am not a qualified mechanic but I have driven and worked on cars for many years so I questioned the initial diagnosis when I was told that the clutch was the problem.

Today I have been proven right but cannot prove that the clutch did not need replaced as they have not got the clutch they removed two weeks ago.

With a total bill of around £1800 "after much haggling" I think any further mechanical work will be going to a not so expensive trusted mechanic.

Be wary of wrong diagnosis at ford dealers!!!!

• Sad 1

• 5 years later...

Hi,I have the same problem sometimes is hard to get 1gear even worst in reverse , the car done 143000 miles titanium x 2 diesel manual, I don't think the clutch is bad  no vibration at all is just the gears . Did you sort the problem after rebuild the gearbox ??

Thanks

Vinny

On 6/9/2015 at 10:30 PM, mondeo161 said:

UPDATE:

The car went in to Macklin Motors this morning. I got a phone call from the service desk in the afternoon to advise that the Synchro on the lower gears was the problem so the box has to be opened and a few parts replaced.

I questioned why the clutch was replaced in the first instance and was told that it also needed replaced but the synchro could have been done at the same time, "So I would not be charged for the work involved removing the gearbox on this occasion"

I would be charged for opening the gearbox and replacing the worn parts. Cost not far off of £800 on this occasion.

I am not a qualified mechanic but I have driven and worked on cars for many years so I questioned the initial diagnosis when I was told that the clutch was the problem.

Today I have been proven right but cannot prove that the clutch did not need replaced as they have not got the clutch they removed two weeks ago.

With a total bill of around £1800 "after much haggling" I think any further mechanical work will be going to a not so expensive trusted mechanic.

Be wary of wrong diagnosis at ford dealers!!!!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club