Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch - Help!!!!

smack

Hi. i've got a 54 plate TDCi Mondeo. Last week my clutch pedal didn't return to its original position and stayed on the floor when I pressed it. A lovely AA man temporarly fixed it by removing a spring from the pedal mechanism and told me that it was most likely that the clutch master cylinder had failed. I replaced the mater cylinder over the weekend and the clutch returned to its normal smooth operation. However later in the day the clutch pedal wouldn't return so I removed the spring again and was able to get home with a stiffer clutch pedal feel than normal. Today the clutch pedal has no resistance at all and stays on the floor - if I lift it back up it just drops back down. What do i need to look at next?

Sorry for the rambling first post but I need to know how much of my hard earned cash I now need to pump into this car to get it fixed.

Cheers

Sean

Hmm rather a lot I suspect.! The cylinder at the other end is inside the gearbox housing. Normally if changing the cylinder you would change the clutch. \if you're changing the clutch you need to change the dual-mass flywheel(this may be the cause anyway). Lokking at £500-£650 or much more at main agent I'm afraid.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm rather a lot I suspect.! The cylinder at the other end is inside the gearbox housing. Normally if changing the cylinder you would change the clutch. \if you're changing the clutch you need to change the dual-mass flywheel(this may be the cause anyway). Lokking at £500-£650 or much more at main agent I'm afraid.

£595 - you were almost spot on!!!!!

• 3 months later...

how do you need to change dmf? no you dont.only if knackered.

its false economy not to and it will fail at some point

Everything fails eventually,but if he's gonna get another 60k out of it then not much point. Some dmf last ages. My last 1 did 156k. 1 before 131k. Know couple of guys with over 150k on their original dmf. Also had a couple of conversions to smf which was rubbish. Especially after a remap. Some boxes cant handle the vibrations etc. I know a lot of eastern europeans wi mondeo,passat,golfs etc and when i mentioned yrs ago that my clutch was slipping so was lookin for a mechanic to change clutch & dmf while it was getting done,& they were all amazed. Then the 1 that knew a sh'tload about transmissions said "why? Why do most uk folk change things that especially arent needing changed? £120-150 to take box out and put back its not end of the world".. they just dont have the same way o thinking as us. And you dont see too many of them on forums asking a lot o these questions but their mechanic mates seem to be really clued up. I admire em for it

Tdci Dmfs normally wear out before the clutches do. The petrol ones last indefinitely but diesel DMFs sometimes last as little as 35k miles. Bearing in mind that it's extremely difficult to gauge DMF wear accurately it really is foolish to not fit a new on with a new clutch. I only fit clutches and gearboxes by the way, and have done for 30 years.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club