Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diesel Starting Problems

martyntdci

hi all, earlier today i changed my fuel filter due to being 12k old and just a service part also really....

it now doesnt start..... i have no air leaks or cracks filter is brimmed and air locks taken out of bleed nipples... i have a few questions first please..

1) does the pump in the boot make any noise? also when the in feed to the filter housing is off, once engine is cranked over should it spit diesel out as mine doesnt?

2) can i have a booster pack fitted to a calcium battery easy start system and crank engine over?

many many thanks for the reply fella's....

i can answer a half of the first question, no it wont spill out diesel because of the high pressure. best thing to do is brim it up again, and try cranking. had the same issue when i did my filter change and ended up having to open two of the injectors to let the air out, but on my second change i just brimmed it and it cranked with the throttle to the floor and it fired up after two tries

im not getting nothing been trying all day even had a spanner here, but he has limited diesel knowledge.... he said it should come out of the feed pipe once cranking over ( or whats going to fill the filter up) the filter has been brimmed again and nothing... when i did it last year it did eventually start but this time nothing....

I used a hand pump to prime mine, diesels can be a nightmare to bleed completely, without a pump I would go down Nexus route and rebrim and crack injector pipes off, it may take a few tries

but what sucks the fuel throu from the tank to the filter? the hp pump? does it matter if the pipe is on or off to see if there is diesel? how can you tell if the pump in the boot is working? all relays fine, wiring fine... got 4amp feed igno off... 7 amp feed igno on?

If it was working before you removed filter, I would be 99% sure its air.

but without the force from the tank im always gonna have air?

No you wont, when line, filter, pump and lines to injectors are full of fuel you cant have air, also in this state its like a vacuum that wont allow your diesel to back drain to tank, believe me if it worked before filter change and all you have done is change filter its air, have you checked pipe joints at filter ect, so no new air getting in.

yes all done and checked.... now my batt is flat...... so take it off to charge.... once they are full of fuel.... so i have to manually suck it from my tank to my filter?

im as thick as pig sh1te lol.... is it the air in my system whats stopping my diesel from coming through? so by cracking the injector and cranking im forcing the air out with the fuel coming from the tank? in that case whats stopping my diesel from coming through a open pipe whilst cranking?

If you suck it up you only have fuel from tank to filter, what i used is something like this, you local small garage will have one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290930282481?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

you fit up with pipe and the the opposite fuel fittings and it goes between the tank feed to filter and you pump, it then fill everything even your return pipe, you then quickly disconnect and fit pipe direct to filter and start. My mate works at a garage and I never change fuel filter till he pops round after work with his. Sometimes you get lucky changing them but sometimes not like in this case.

that pump goes between my filter (infeed pipe) and my hp pump? the only way im gonna do this is cracking the injectors? so im totally wrong with the fuel coming out of a open pipe forced by the pump in the tank......

No pump goes between diesel feed line from tank to fuel filter, disconnect that join and the disconnected pipe connects to to in-side of pump, the other side of pump goes to filter, remember that pump need rubber hose adding on both sides and the connections to connect to pipe and filter.

the diesel will not flow out like it does for a petrol when you crank engine or put ignition on

many thanks for your help... will try this tomorrow morning once sourcing a pump from local Halfords or sommat..... will let you know after if its sorted or not..... once again THANKS....

I did my fuel filter last year and had a pig of a time trying to start it. In desperation I got a neighbour to give me a tow start and within 15 meters was running fine.

the only thing i carnt understand is why do i have to prime it from my tank? isnt that the pumps job? my l/p fuel pump doesnt make no noise/vibration or anything in the tank this is why im thinking its gone?

Thats a good question, another one is why does my car not have a prime pump fitted, if no prime pump is fitted then car should self prime like a petrol, maby someone from ford can answer that one.

I know you say pumps at fault but why would it be if it worked before changing filter, then its a known issue that its a nightmare to prime these without a pump, my money still on air.

keep us updated on this.

unsure why. ive got told that since i did my last filter change last year (with sucess) that my pump could of packed in and because all the system was working correctly air tight etc..... that my h/p pump was doing all the work, and thats why the car didnt have as much power as it should.... (intercoller and re-map).... est 155-160 bhp and about 330nm torque

could i ask a member to help me out please ( diesel owners only)? if you would be kind enough to go outside and on the turn of the key (non start just dash lights) and tell me if your fuel pump in the tank makes any kind of noise at all...... this will help me to rule out some problems..... many many thanks in advance...

could i ask a member to help me out please ( diesel owners only)? if you would be kind enough to go outside and on the turn of the key (non start just dash lights) and tell me if your fuel pump in the tank makes any kind of noise at all...... this will help me to rule out some problems..... many many thanks in advance...

I will report back tomorrow

you could also try using easystart. get someone to keep spraying it into the intake while you crank the car. it should obviously start. then keep the pedal to the floor and it should eventually start revving higher than what the easystart is giving it. that should indicate the fuel injectors have started spraying

also when you do open the injectors you should get some hissing and bubbles coming out

not tried easy start, but used wd40 instead no joy there

No noise from pump on my 2.0 tdci

many thanks... just fitted the charged battery, and sucked diesel from tank to my fuel filter with my mouth. just going to crack the in feed to my injectors in a sec to bleed the air

had to fill the line to the pump with a syringe when i changed the filter on mine

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club