Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Focus Slow Clutch Pedal

scarfuncle

Hi, bought my 1.0 litre turbo boost about 10 weeks ago and am a bit disappointed with the clutch. The pedal is slow to return and can be 'caught out' if I move my foot too fast. The pedal travels slower than my foot and then smacks up into it. If I use the clutch slowly, it works ok, anything faster and it just isn't where it should be (feels odd and dangerous when overtaking and trying to change gear smartish!). I can't find anyone else reporting this, so am I alone in this? I also hate the extra spring travel at the top.

I have done over 4500 miles already (2 hours a day commuting) so I know the car quite well and find I have had to change my clutch control to accomodate this. Had the car in twice for this (two different Ford dealers) and both have said they can feel what I mean but then say it's normal !

Also, the car sometimes hesitates (sometimes doesn't) and can feel like it is holding back (steering feels heavy now too).

Any thoughts?

It is normal and something what cars long term test faulted it for there words its tricky to drive at low speeds due to a shortage of power above idle with slow throttle response most snnoying is the clutch pedal which sticks for a second before moving up meaning youre accelerating whilst the clutch is still disengaging the trip computer states mid 40s for mpg when its actually only achieving 38.2mpg and it says 0 for fuel range when you still have enough fuel to do 52miles more there is no fix for the clutch you just have to get used to it

Many modern cars have a hydryalic restrictor valve between the clutch master cylinder and CSC that reduces how fast the fluid can travel, it is possible to bypass this, (usually after the warrantee runs out) - it is there so that you cannot change gear quickly, to help protect the clutch gearbox etc (Like much of the junk they fit to modern cars it has the opposite effect from intended, (like EGR valves/ DPFs causing more pollution in the long run) - because it increases the time the clutch plates are not firmy clamped it can increase clutch wear )- there are other "nanny" things built in like the microswitch on the clutch that tells the ECU when the clutch is depressed (tell it a joke then to cheer it up then : )

Thanks for the replies. it's rather depressing that on both occasions the car was in to be checked, I was given a fiesta and they both had brilliant clutches.

I do still think that my clutch is slower than the others in the show rooms but both Ford places were lazy and claimed mine was the same. I'll probably have to wait until it gets worse or I get used to driving like my gran!

I don't suppose it would make any difference if I tried to complain higher up (wherever that is....)

What car had there test car in numerous times and its simply how it is on that car im afraid

On my 1.6 diesel the same thing happened, took it to the local dealer who said its a common fault (ford had issued a technical service thing) with the clutch return valve. took about three weeks for the part to come in (apparently due to a shortage) but was fixed under warrenty and never had an issue since. not sure if the petrol engines use a differnet clutch method or not.

I don't suppose you have the technical service thing do you? It might help my case as I still feel the clutch is faulty.

Every review I read about the car is very glowing but mine is laggy with poor fuel consumption (low 40s). I have been doing my 80 mile round trip rabbit run for about 14 years and I usually get the high end of the quoted fuel consumption so something isn't right. It didn't have any codes so the 'mechanics' can't fix anything!

Shame, could be an excellent car.....

Hi Ramone, we have a 1.0 ecoboost and I can categorically state that the clutch pedal does not behave in the way you have described. I suggest you take the car in to a dealership as there appears to be something wrong with the hydraulics. Also, mid 40's is quite good from commuting and I wouldn't expect any more than that until the car is fully run in. We get around 55-58mpg cruising at between 70-80mph.

some things I can understand, but I am with Cuke on this one, perhaps the car that the likes of whatcar had hold of, and some others had this issue, but there is no reason for a car to forcefully slow gear changes, and stop you quick shifting. Torque limiter should help keep the clutch and gearbox in shape, but slowing the clutch down, as FOCA said, your just stretching the pain for the clutch on this.

try this (it will sound stupid!) either Tie your left foot to the clutch pedal (belt or something similar) and as you change gear, pull the clutch up as you move your foot - what happens? if the clutch comes up as you would expect, then it might help in diagnosing the issue, but it does not sound right to me at all!

I have taken it to main dealers twice now and both had it for two days each. Whilst they seemed to agree with me to begin with, they then claimed it to be normal after two days (one place drove it 30 miles and the other only 2).

I don't know how to push this forward as I feel they won't admit a fault.

By the way, I barely got 40 mpg on the my recent motorway trip to cumbria - I have always got good fuel economy from all my previous cars (top end of spec) so the focus is exceptional. Hope it's just a breaking in issue - or the tyres (michellin primacy) which seem very grippy.....

I've had the car since the end of July and I'm close to the 5k miles mark so I do know how it drives....

I don't suppose you have the technical service thing do you? It might help my case as I still feel the clutch is faulty.

Every review I read about the car is very glowing but mine is laggy with poor fuel consumption (low 40s). I have been doing my 80 mile round trip rabbit run for about 14 years and I usually get the high end of the quoted fuel consumption so something isn't right. It didn't have any codes so the 'mechanics' can't fix anything!

Shame, could be an excellent car.....

Number was 39/2012 but does/did state that it only affected 1.6tdci cars made between certain dates, might help you get somewhere with the dealers.

Will have a look through some paper work tomorrow to see if i can find some more info on it all for you

Don't know if the ecoboost uses a different setup for the clutch but my 2.0 tdci does not have that problem.

I can change gears like a ninja and the clutch never leaves the sole of my shoe.

Where abouts are you? Trying to think if there might be any better dealers nearby for you to try.

Probably a couple of silly thoughts on my part :-

Is the pedal catching on the carpet or something ?

Is the pedal return spring correctly in place (i.e. one end hasn't come unclipped) ?

Thanks everyone. Mine doesn't stick down (yet!?), it just returns slower than I feel is right. If I use it slowly it stays with my foot. Anything more spirited can leave it to catch up. It also has that extra spring thing at the last bit of the travel so it feels different right at the end - nasty!

I'm near King's Lynn and have taken it to the dealer in Dereham (where I bought it) and the dealer in King's Lynn.

Anyone leave near by so I can compare?

• 3 weeks later...

Well I went to the dealers again (Dereham) and they agreed that the clutch was slightly worse than the one in the showroom and it did seem less progressive than the brand new one they let me drive.

Progress! Well they updated the software and sprayed WD40 on the clutch mechanism!

The car is just the same only now it smells of WD40....

Is there anyone in the King's Lynn area who drives the same as me and can give mine a try?

I was at the dealers speaking to a guy i know anyway i mentioned it to him and he said not all cars suffer from it some have loosened up over time but they are aware of it and there is so far nothing they can actually do as ford have not stated any fix or reason for the issue but to take it in and explain that you are unhappy and it has become dangerous when pulling away from junctions and you demand answers

Thanks for that, I'll just keep plugging away until I get it sorted then.

Perhaps I should aim higher and talk to the main dealer in Norwich rather than the smaller dealer.....

• 3 months later...

Clutch still poor and engine still holding back and hesitating occasionally. Steering heavy as well. Coming up for 12.5k service in a few weeks - should be broken in by now....

Any one near King's Lynn who owns one of these so we can compare?

Hi mate, I'm near King's Lynn, my 1.6 Ecoboost suffers from this clutch problem from time to time. BTW if I'm thinking you took your car to Marshall's, they are hopeless, I wouldn't trust them to service a wheel barrow, that said it's just my opinion, others perhaps find them ok.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC mobile app

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club