Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ignition Switched 12V Socket

Micro

Hey guys,

Loving my new wheels. Not thought of a name yet (although I will get a project topic started at some point for her!). First issue - the 12v sockets aren't switched - so my multi-way 12v socket remains powered (and continues powering my dash cam and phone charger).

I'd rather not rely on the "low battery relay" i've read about, and have at least one socket switched - from looking at the wiring diagrams I think i've got two choices:

1) Get a couple of fuse taps and a relay, mount in the passenger junction box between the ignition switched live and the 12V accessory socket perm live.

2) Attach a relay near the 12V socket, use a fuse tap from switched live, and run the switched live cable to the relay

I think option 2 would work better, and hopefully allow me to be as least destructive as possible.

Any suggestions?

Don't know if this will help, but if it's anything like the Mondeo fusebox, the 12V outlet fuse socket has three terminals instead of two - if the fuse is in the lower two terminals, the 12V outlet is permanently live. If the fuse is in the upper two terminals, it's only live when the ignition is on.

Don't know if this will help, but if it's anything like the Mondeo fusebox, the 12V outlet fuse socket has three terminals instead of two - if the fuse is in the lower two terminals, the 12V outlet is permanently live. If the fuse is in the upper two terminals, it's only live when the ignition is on.

Hey BigD,

Unfortunately there is only one set of terminals, the unpopulated terminals have no metal contacts so there is no other place a fuse can go (This is in the passenger fusebox).

Thanks =)

Unfortunately you need to wire it to an ignition live. Most opt for installing a 12v off the back of the radio.

Unfortunately you need to wire it to an ignition live. Most opt for installing a 12v off the back of the radio.

I did consider this - there also appears to be an ignition switched 10A fuse in the passenger fuse box which I plan to tap off using one of the "piggy back" fuses and use it to run a relay on the rear aux socket (That is, if my fuse box has this fuse that's on the wiring diagram!).

I think they are all permalive from the fusebox itself, if I am not mistaken, so you may find it stays permenantly lit...

• 3 months later...

I think they are all permalive from the fusebox itself, if I am not mistaken, so you may find it stays permenantly lit...

Just an update - used fuse 109 (iirc), wired up and switches lovely. Also use my now switched lighter socket to power my dash cam.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Ford OC mobile app

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club