Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cam Belt Not Turning

Gpallett

Hi,

I just replaced my cam belt and turned the engine over, it started up fine, then the top part stopped spinning, but the bottom half was turning fine.

If anyone with any sort of knowledge know about this I would soo grateful,

Thank for your time,

Glen

Are you talking about the cam shaft itself? Did you align all the pulleys before and after you changed the belt?

I put Piston No1 in TDC and the cam shaft so I could slide the setting bar in place. I also replaced the tensioner and the belt. So with all that done I put it all back together and followed the Haynes manual word by word and constantly read back what I done. So I went to start it and all the cogs are turning as they should, there is petrol going in, it coughs once and no rattles. Personally, I think its not getting spark.

Is it definitely tdc? (On the right cycle).

Sent from my HUAWEI Ascend P2 using Ford OC mobile app

how do you tell if its on the right cycle. I think I locked the crankshaft using the timing pin.

If I remember right both valves should be closed and inlet should be about to open.

Bit coinfusing

First post you say started then Top half stopped spinning, then later say all cogs spinning fine.

If you fitted the locking bar to both cams then cams were in correct position.

Going by your first post, sounds like crank or possibly cam pulleys are too loose, if that's the case then chances are you have damaged the valves

The first post was because the bottom bolt wasn't tightened properly, but that is now tight. I then retimed it so the piston was at the top and the camshaft things were poking up like in the picture and it still wont fire up. What do damaged valves sound like?

Sent from my C5303 using Ford OC mobile app

post-46805-139454739353_thumb.jpg

Usually turns over faster as there will be little compression.

If the crank was loose then that will prevent cams from turning as the cog On the crank behund the pulley is what drives the cams...that cog relies on crank being correctly torqued to spin.

Strong possibility of valves being bent, would do a compression test to confirm

Ok, how would I be able to carry one of those out. Thanks for every ones help, it is much appreciated

Sent from my C5303 using Ford OC mobile app

its sounds like the bottom cam pully has slipped on the tapered shaft this will have the same effect as a broken belt and as already said there will most likly be top end damage, you will need a compression tester to test the compression the hardest part is getting the bottom pully timed back correctley.

Get a compression tester (make sure it's suitable for Ford ) available at most accessory/spares suppliers.

Will need to reset all the timing with the locking pin and cam bar...get the torque right On the crank and cam pulleys....then carry out a compression test

thanks, but no need I took the inlet manifold off last night and the valves are bent, it'll just cost less to get a new engine.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club