Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is It Safe To Remove The Main Battery To Charge Indoors?

TrafficPilot

Hi all

I've got an early 2010 Focus (not the new shape) and haven't driven it much recently so I think the battery is low. Tried starting it but it won't turn over (dash lights etc come on but no joy from engine).

I was thinking of removing the battery to charge it fully indoors and then putting it back but I'm worried I may bugger up the electrics (ie pincode on radio etc - there is no aftermarket alarm just the standard kit).

Can you advise whether there are any likely issues or am I safe to proceed?

Apart from this (not the cars fault..) it's been the most reliable car I've ever owned!

Thanks

Adam

PS: I can see just a metal strap that needs to be removed from above the battery (two bolts?) and the normal +- connectors? Is there anything else I need to remove?

It's perfectly fine to charge the battery whilst not connected to the car, however you will lose your radio code...so it will have to be re-entered and I think the trip computer will be reset but other than that you should be alright

It may be worth checking the voltage of the battery before you try to charge it using a multimeter so you can see if it is the battery at fault

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Hi Chris thanks for the quick reply - I'll hunt around for my multimeter and check the voltage tonight.

Cheers

Adam

Apart from the radio code, you will loose the settings the ECU has "learned" this is not a big deal, but the car may run roughly for a while and not rev etc, untill it has "relearned". The central locking / remote central locking will not work when the battery is disconnected, and some settings like the "one touch" electric windows may need to be reset

Its not good for a lead-acid battery to be flattened - best to keep a charge in it 24-7

Apart from the radio code, you will loose the settings the ECU has "learned" this is not a big deal, but the car may run roughly for a while and not rev etc, untill it has "relearned". The central locking / remote central locking will not work when the battery is disconnected, and some settings like the "one touch" electric windows may need to be reset

Its not good for a lead-acid battery to be flattened - best to keep a charge in it 24-7

Thanks very much for the info FOCA. Am going to try and get it going via a jump start first but if I can't sort that I'll remove it tomorrow night and charge it overnight. And then keep it topped up!

cold engine flat battery on a smart charge system could mean lots of volts ..i would use plan" b" ..take it off and charge over night

....or how about an 'old school' bump start and take it for a decent drive?

its a diesel .. you gotta be geoff capes to bump start one of them

Thanks for the compliment, I used to bump start my Fiesta diesel. :)

Sent from my HUAWEI Ascend P2 using Ford OC mobile app

Or instead of 'jump starting' why not connect the cars up with the leads as you would normally, with the donor car engine running. Keep them connected for a period to charge the battery of your car. This is the way many recovery agents will do it at the roadside.

good idea stef ,i still prefer plan "b" ..alternaters not designed to charge a battery just replace whats being used ..if the battey's bad and you keep using the alternator to charge it ..soon or later the alternator will give up too ..had the same problem wiyth my zetec .don't use it much so the standard battery drains .( used to use a charging pack ).but now ive got a heavy duty battery its no longer a problem

Or instead of 'jump starting' why not connect the cars up with the leads as you would normally, with the donor car engine running. Keep them connected for a period to charge the battery of your car. This is the way many recovery agents will do it at the roadside.

No donor car unfortunately. I live in a busy street and all the spaces were taken so my Dad couldn't get his car near enough to jump it :(

GreenFlag wanted over £100 to come and start it (I have recovery with them but not "at home").

Will remove the battery this weekend and give it a good charge indoors.

PS: Thanks for all your helpful replies!

A booster pack is usually a good bit of kit to have.

A booster pack is usually a good bit of kit to have.

Is that the separate battery pack that the AA/RAC carry around with them? Are they expensive? May try getting one from my local motorists shop.

Ooopps! So it is :) Tow rope/strap and do it that way then. More than one way to skin a cat ;)

Failing that, tow it to however far away from home counts as 'Not Home' and call Greenflag :D

Ooopps! So it is :) Tow rope/strap and do it that way then. More than one way to skin a cat ;)

Failing that, tow it to however far away from home counts as 'Not Home' and call Greenflag :D

Did consider trying to move it but it would take ages to drag it somewhere outside their "at home" radius!

Do any Focus owners know if there is a default PIN for the radio for when I re attach the freshly charged battery?

If he's one of those jobs worth type and decides it's not far enough away from home would tea and biscuits soften him up? Lol

Afraid not but the code can be obtained cheap enough on eBay with just the serial number required.

Sent from my HUAWEI Ascend P2 using Ford OC mobile app

Move house but leave the car where it's at ;)