Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vibration Through Car

Dales

Hoping someone can help me out.

Focus Estate on a 57 plate.

I get quite a strong shaking through the car at maybe around 40ish mph. All wheels have been balanced, changed tyres also just in case it was maybe a twisted tyre etc.

In all honesty I don't even know if shaking is the correct word to use to describe the problem. It as if the car is shaking/juddering/vibrations etc.

None of this goes through the steering wheel, pedals or anything like that. It just feels as though its coming through the body of the car.

You can drive through it also as it only comes around 40ish mph as I say. before and after the vibrations/juddering starts finishes the car drives as normal as it should.

At 1st I thought it was wheel balance as you can drive through it, but as I say, nothing through the steering or pedals etc. No steering issues, brake issues what so ever.

Any help suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dales

Whats the revs at 40mph, try driving in another gear at the same revs, or at 40mph in a lower gear, that will tell you if its engine or transmission/suspension/wheels

Could be a bearing or UV joint

Also check under car to make sure a liner panel, rear bumper etc is loose and flapping and no plastic bag etc caught up

in addition, if you get up to 40 to start the judder then apply the brakes lightly, what happens? you could try the hand brake as well which might be better, your looking to rule out warped brake discs.

Could also be the hubs on the rear.

Id have thought any vibration related to the front axle would be felt through the steering wheel but I'm not sure.

• Like 1

I have tried it through different gears. dosnt make a difference,

My first thoughts were wheel balance as you can drive through it. but nothing through the steering what so ever. Brakes defo fine too. think if it was warped discs I would feel it during braking with brake judder, plus I think I am correct in thinking the brake pedal judders when the brake discs are warped. you usually feel it on the pedal anyway as far as I am aware.

The bumper wouldn't cause the car to shake the way it does.

As you have mentioned Darren, I thought if it was anything to do with the front end I would feel it through the steering at least.

Im thinking it has to be coming from the rear of the car. I will be getting it on the ramp tomorrow hopefully. I am just hoping for some suggestions on what to look for before I do take it up to go on the ramp.

Thanks for the replies as it is very much appreciated.

My guess would be check the cv boot/ joint as this is common symptoms of a knackered one.

Also check tyres/ wheels. Something as simple as a warped or out of shape tyre could cause this. I had something similar in a previous A3, when I'd hit roughly 70km there was a vibration/ juddering and all it turned out to be was a warped tyre, nice cheap fix!

I have changed the tyres Dave. Wheels all look fine, Tried putting rear wheels on the front and front on the rear etc.

Car drives perfect except for this vibration/judder/shaking. not sure what to call it lol. no clunks or bangs off the car. just this vibration/judder/shaking.

I have a something similar but would describe it as more of a rumble than vibration, and only at certain speeds which I can drive through and it goes away. I asked a question here - http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/71596-rumbling-noise-at-speed/ but got no answers as I don't think as many people go to this section of the forum.

Let me know if it sounds the same. Since then I drove with the back seats folded down to see if it was coming from the back wheels and to be honest didn't notice it as much but there is usually more road noise without the insulation given by the seats up. If it is the cv joint, is that a big job to do, or just fiddly?

Mine is more of a vibration coming through the car V.

I got it up on the 4 poster the other day. all bushes etc were solid except for the front nearside wishbone bush at the rear of the wishbone.

So I am hoping this is what the problem might be. I am thinking/hoping with it being at the nearside and at the same side as the short driveshaft this is whats giving it the impression it was wheel balance as you can drive through it. maybe causing vibration through the driveshaft.

Wont get near it till the weekend now though.. My mate just done his at the weekend on both sides of the car. only takes about 10/15 minutes to do it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club