Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Opinions On Focus 1.8 Tdci

Dave_TDCI

Well lads

Just wanted to get peoples views on the 1.8 TDCi Focus mk2.5. I came across a very high spec Focus on donedeal which I'm quite interested in purely because of the spec. It comes with heated leather seats, Zetec S kit, 18'' ST alloys, bi-xenon headlamps, cruise control, twin exhausts and the list goes on. I know the spec is usually better in the UK but here in Ireland it's very rare to come across a Focus spec'd this well.

I have two concerns though.

The first is this particular car has 144,000miles on it. Is this high mileage for the 1.8 TDCI? And what type of mileage can this engine usually cope with?

The second concern is the 1.8 TDCi engine itself. I have previously had a 1.6 TDCI which I quite liked but I remember test driving two 1.8s before I bought the 1.6, one drove extremely well with great pull from the turbo low down the rev range, the other had very bad turbo lag which put me off the car. I have also read of various threads where people said the 1.8 had bad turbo lag. However one of the two I have driven had great low down torque, the other didn't. I have also read that this lag is often caused by a bad MAF sensor which when cleaned or replaced greatly reduces the lag. What is peoples opinions on this engine from people who own or have owned a car with it?

I know the ideal thing for me to do would be to test drive this particular Focus I saw advertised but because the owner is a 3 hour drive from where I'm located I would like to do a bit of research before travelling.

Thanks

What year is the car ?

coming from a 1.6 tdci it will probably feel abit more agricultral, as its an 8v engine and older in terms of design.

realiability wise its probably the best out of the diesels, as its a non-DPF engine, other than the common focus mk2 problems the only thing to be aware of for this engine is the DMF, if its not been changed already it might be worn out, signs are vibrations or rattling noises when pressing the clutch. the Injectors can also cause issues expecially on the MK2.5 as there was a batch of injectors that dont last very long, theres a few threads on that.

edit: you might also want to check if the wet belt has been changed, since its a mk2.5 most likely it will have a wet belt instead of a chain at the bottom end.

as for the power low down, an EGR blank would greatly reduce that, and might be something the first car had when you previously drove. also a remap would help that too.

other than that its a pretty strong engine. mine is now at 154k and theres no signs of it aging.

that link you sent looks really nice, personally i dont like the exhaust but a remap would make it look worth having those on :D

Thanks for the reply Nexus.

Being a non DPF really appeals to me, I had a DPF in my previous 1.6 TDCi which caused a lot of problems for me. In the add it says the timing belt has been changed so I presume that the wet belt would be included in that but I might ring a clarify.

Does the egr blank make that much of a difference on the 1.8? I blanked mine on the 1.6 and I can't say I noticed any difference whatsoever.

Yeah a remap would be something I would be looking at getting if I did end up buying this car, remaps without DPF seem to woprk far better.

Do you find you're 1.8 TDCI quite boosty?...If I remember right there was a stronger boost from the turbo on the 1.8 compared to the 1.6 TDCI 110bhp

you will need to clarify because i doubt they change the lower wet belt as its not an easy job.

yeah it does "boost" but i only driven the 1.6 tdci very briefly and when very cold so cant really compare. with the bluefin remap its improved alot.

yes the EGR blank makes a very nice difference especially low down. the car does take a little bit of throttle to pull away though and may be different from the 1.6

best thing would be to give that car a drive, then you can compare back to back with your car and itll help make a decision

i think the 1.8 is an excellent engine - mine's been brilliant.

yes, low down they can be laggy but a remap/tuning box will easily sort this out

the car itself looks ace and has some very nice features - modding can always be done though!!!

price depending - i would go for it

• Like 1

Yeah it's a lovely looking car to be fair...and I'd really like a car without a DPF, with factory fitted Xenons and leather seats so this one ticks all the boxes (or at least it appears to).

It's strange that the 1.8 seems to suffer from turbo lag, I was under the impression that an 8v engine would have far better torque from low down in comparison to a 16v engine which normally would have better mid to high rang torque?

The 1.8 being more agricultural really wouldn't bother me, I'm one of the few people that seems to prefer the "traditional" feel of a turbo diesel with a big push of torque compared to the newer style diesels that drive more like petrol cars. If I wanted the feel of a petrol I'd buy a petrol :)

its not that bad tbh, you just need to get used to the different style when moving off, ive definately driven cars with proper turbo lag.. lexus 220d comes to mind, oh my that thing didnt do anything until 2.5k then shot off. dangerous at roundabout junctions

its not that bad tbh, you just need to get used to the different style when moving off, ive definately driven cars with proper turbo lag.. lexus 220d comes to mind, oh my that thing didnt do anything until 2.5k then shot off. dangerous at roundabout junctions

Yeah I suppose it's all relative really. I recently took a 2006 BMW 520d for a spin and could not get over how bad the turbo lag on that was. Absolutely nothing under 2200rpm and then it just hits. Gearing seemed really long as well which only made things worse. I had always heard BMW's are great drivers car but I didn't think so. Maybe the newer revised LCI engine from 2007 on has improved things but the one I drove felt extremely underpowered and sluggish for a 160bhp car!

i drove a 320d and 520d as a company car and the 2.0d is more suited to the 320d and it was much more lively on that

I'm trying to get used to my 1.8 after having a highly modded fabia vRS and then a mapped corsa SRi cdti so this feels really sluggish. I've heard these suffer with the high pressure pump failures if you map them is that true?? Are these euro 3 or euro 4 engines? I want to order a egr delete and noticed theres 2 different ones listed

Should be Euro 4 by the date of your car ?

Hi, I agree with llNexusll, mine has done 182000, I have just done the ss Egr blank, glow plugs and all the sensors had a spray with carb cleaner and it now pulls like a train with a healthy 56mpg around town with a few blasts up and down the dual carriage ways. Next for me is a K&N panel filter and a remap.... ;)

looks lovely car unusual to see twin exhausts and st badges :lol:better get it bought quick wont hang around long with that spec

Should be Euro 4 by the date of your car ?

Is there any way of telling? Mines a 2007 it's got the indicators in the wing mirrors, the red interior lights and oval stereo but the classic shape headlights so I take it it's a late mk2 and not a mk2.5? Thanks

Feedback seems pretty good on this engine which is great to hear. Might ring up the seller and check the wet belt has been done, says full service history as well which is also good.

Yeah it's an usual spec, only thing it's missing really is a sat nav but if I opted for that car retrofitting one along with a reverse camera would be one of my first mods.

Kyle your engine is a Euro4 I'd say...think you can check it on the Ford Etis website by putting in your registration or vin number to confirm

Cheers I'll order a egr delete for it :) will mine have a wet belt? I always thought it was chain from crank to pump and then the little belt from pump to cam, it's had the top belt changed

if youve done 182k without changing it then it must be a chain otherwise it would have long snapped by now, but im not sure how to find out to be 100% sure, the dealer might know but ive heard some to get it wrong

I've only done 125k on mine it had the top belt done at 99k as my dad had the car before me

oh sorry i thought you were the other guy who posted saying 182k..

im not sure on 2007 best to ring ford parts and they will tell you

Nice motor, could do with zetec s diffuser or st rear bumper which will finish back bumper of nicely +st spoiler. I reccommend gettting it terracleaned just had my 1.8 tdci done today and stuck egr blank in and picks up loads better and goes like a bullet

• Like 2