Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Synchro - Ford Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost

DAN222

18 hours ago, GaryM72 said:

My 2018 ST Line X 140 has just been to the dealer for a warranty repair. It kept slipping out of second gear. The fault was diagnosed as a faulty 2nd gear synchro. Apparently they’ve replaced the second gear too. Picking it up in the morning so hope it’ll give me no more trouble. I’ve only had it for around 3 months and warranty will be up in August. 

Haha you've moved threads Gary!😀

A bit more research on the Getrag website since the post you quoted above showed that the 6MTT215 is actually rated at 240Nm, which should be adequate for the 140 ecoboost, so your experience is a bit worrying, particularly as my warranty expires Monday!

Coincidentally the latest 155 mhev has claimed maximum torque of 240Nm, so right on the limit unless some changes have been made?

The Mk7.5s have a common problem with weak synchros, so remapping them is controversial. I had a bluefin on mine and I could feel the gearbox acting differently as to how it was on standard so I was taking it easy with the gearbox and engine so made the remap completely pointless. I'm glad this happened in a way cause it really opened my eyes as to why remapping is a stupid idea. I'm buying an ST now because I'd rather have safe torque on the gearbox which the black edition didn't have even when it was standard, the synchros still felt weak, and I wasn't even driving it hard.

MK8s seem to be fine with a remap but I still think its a risk. Take my advice, if you want more power, buy a faster car. 👍🏼

• 9 months later...

I have a 2017 Fiesta ST Line Red Edition - only had the car a few weeks when I noticed 1st gear wouldn't always go in, after a few days could not get 1st or 2nd gear, under warranty so taken to the garage who replaced the synchro's, all ok.   1 month later the same happened again this time I ended up getting no gears, back to the garage where they replaced ALL the synchro's.  3 weeks later 1st and 2nd gone again, the parts were sent to Ford who have said it is misuse of the gears! ridiculous I drive 2 other cars with no problems at all.  What do I do???

My friends son has the same car as me. a 140 ST Line Fiesta (2019)

I've done over 35,000 miles in mine and had no problems (also had a 2016 -140 St Line for about 30,000 miles with no problems)

He's had his car in twice with dodgy syncros in less the 15,000 miles. But having had the bad fortune of being in the car with him once, I'm not suprised, he slammed it through the gears and was generally lacking any mechanical sympathy.

So it could just be your driving style if you drive like that?

I was in a car the other day and it had "3" pedals !!! well that's just stupid. I mean there is one for 'go' and one for 'stop' and the other one is just for 'show' 😟

• 3 months later...

Hi all! Not sure anyone will reply as this is an old post, I’m having massive issues with my 2017 Ford Fiesta eco boost 140 my gear syncro went in October, I took it to ford to get fixed under my Arnold Clark warranty and they had the car for 8 days and fixed it, then come January it went again but ford fixed it under their warranty incase it was a dodgy part so off on my way it goes again, now come April it’s gone again! I’ve actually had enough of the pile of s*it thing!! It’s fine going up in gears but when you wanna go down it will physically not go into 2nd, I’m being passed from pillar to post it’s driving me insane!!! Once it’s fixed it’s going n I’m staying well away! 

It's very rare that anyone ever has a problem with a 1.0 ecoboost 🤔 The engines and gearboxes are so solid, well they are after they seize up !!

I'd contact Trading Standards to ask for advice.

My daughter has a Zetec S Red Edition, 66 plate, one of the last before it became the ST Line Red Edition.  140PS Ecoboost and I might regret saying this but it’s done getting near 50K miles and we’ve had it from new, serviced annually and never had any issues with the synchros.  Are the issues only connected with poor driving / poor maintenance or is it just a poor design ?

1 hour ago, Edge of Reason said:

Are the issues only connected with poor driving / poor maintenance or is it just a poor design ?

That's an interesting question. There does seem to be a design issue in that the box was carried forward from previous normally aspirated models and was not really up to the job of coping with the torque output of the ecoboost turbos.

That said, it's struck me that there are very few complaints on here of failures on Zetecs and Titaniums, mainly on Zetec S/ST-Line and largely the 140, which, one assumes, may often be driven more "enthusiastically".

So maybe the answer is a bit of both!😀

• Like 1

Good answer 😂 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club