Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help! Corrupt Vid Block

Colin449

Can anyone point me to a possible solution for my problem? I have a check engine light on atm after I played around with a modified OBD-II cable and Elmconfig.

I was reprogramming my PCM to the latest one for my car (MK2 Focus, 1.8 Duratec HE). After a successful flash, I started the car up and a CEL greeted me. I don't want to bring it to Ford's service center here because A. It will cost me money and B. It will tip my dad off that I messed up.

Code scan tells me that the VID block of the PCM is corrupt. Will this affect performance in any way?

probably, I would suggest you try making your changes again and do so at a different speed, you may have been writing too slowly.

did you backup your original PCM firmware before you flashed the new one? the VID block would be within that and you needed to insert that into the new firmware.

If you didnt do so then you are screwed and will need to go to Ford

the VID corrupt error would put the car in limp mode until you clear the code. but it will re-appear everytime you start the car

• Like 2

Crap.

I'm screwed then. I don't suppose there's a generic copy of this floating around somewhere?

EDC16 ECUs tend to have specific hardware and software version numbers swapping between them might not work, as you have found out.

when messing about with ROMs its good practice to backup, backup again, compare the two files which should be hash identical, write the back up then go ahead and modify, this is even more important when using Chinese clone devices as they may not work as expected. (or at all)

the ELMConfig files are "difference" files, they are not complete ROMs, the idea is that it only changes the bits that need changed, normally this is the safest approach as it reduces the chance of buggering up something, the problem is when you take a file that does not exactly match your hardware/software version, it changes the bits it wants to changing the location it thinks they should be but that might not actually be the location on your ECU leading to data loss.

• Like 2

It uses the old ESU-121 module running a 1.8 Petrol.

I'm close to bringing it to the service center. I'm totally stumped.

The only thing you could do, is get the AS_BUILT from the motorcroft website, and try reload that. It may possibly resolve the issue.

• Like 1

your right, what was your module number and which one did you attempt to install?

• Like 1

The 1.8/2.0 Duratec HE engines are build with 3 different types of PCM. ESU-121, ESU-131, ESU-411 /418. Every PCM type has its own software which is not compatible with other PCM types. Next to this there is also different software for different markets. Russian/Asian software for example is different from European software (because of technical differences, different emission standards, different climate, different fuel standards, etc.).

Selecting the correct software version for your car is not easy. It must be compatible with both the PCM type and the vehicle. The list that can be found online does also contain "Europe" labelled software that has never been used by Ford in Europe. It is uncertain whether this software is or is not suitable for European vehicles.

My experience is that updating the ESU-121 PCM with the ELMconfig software is not reliable. On some cars the update can be performed without any problems and on other cars the update will not work without errors. I have seen the exact same problem you have before. After updating the firmware the VID block was corrupted. This can be solved by uploading both the VID block and the software file at the same time.

If you do not have a backup (PCM dump) of the original software and VID block you can create the VID block manually. This can be done by selecting the correct configuration settings on the PCM configuration page of ELMconfig. The correct settings can be automatically loaded (based on AS-BUILT data). Next you can start the update procedure.

You should only update the PCM with an ELM327 interface that supports a Baudrate of 500.000 Kbps. Personally I prefer an interface with FTDI chipset. I updated lots of different PCM types (after people messed up) without any problems.

• Like 2

Thank you for the instructions. I'll try them over the weekend.

I am aware of the incompatibilities between module types, so I made sure I flashed one for an ESU-121.

I did, however, tried a PCM file for a C-Max with a similar engine. I believe that's what the C-307 and C-204 stands for. It flashed okay and it introduced a Rev limiter on the car when in neutral and park.

I flashed back to a Focus firmware and stuff happened.

The reason why I'm fiddling around with PCM and TCM stuff is that I'm trying to iron out a jerky 1-2 shift. The previous modifications made the jerky worse so I attempted to revert.

Side question: Will it hurt my car if I tried a 1.6L TCM file for the same transmission on my 1.8L?

You should only use the correct software files for your vehicle. Using an incorrect software file can easily brick a PCM or TCM module.

The PCM update function of the ELMconfig software can be dangerous in the hands of non experienced users. The program has little protection for using incompatible software files. This way incompatible software can easily be selected and loaded onto the PCM (it is even possible to load 2.0 Duratec HE software onto a 1.8 Duratec HE). In my opinion You should only use the PCM update functions if you have the knowledge and skills to solve problems when something went wrong.

• Like 2

Be aware that if you flash something you may leave yourself in a position where you cannot flash anything else! Be very careful, it'll end up expensive if you flash something and it bricks.

• Like 2

Alright, I've downloaded the as-built data for my VIN. My question now is how to make sense of the hexadecimal numbers in it. I can't seem to make ELMConfig recognize the data from the .ab file. Pressing the "Load As Built" button gets me the corrupt data that I want to replace, while load from file asks me for an .elm file. Tried renaming the .ab file to .elm with no success.

Derp. I figured out how to load the as-built data properly. I just had to type in the VIN on the input box on top of the window. Flashing now.

Fingers crossed your problem goes away!

• Like 1

What was the fix - just reloading the as-built?

I reloaded the as-built data, then kept it in the config page. Afterwards, I reflashed the firmware of my choice and included the rebuilt VID block when prompted.

Another question: As built, my car runs on 95RON fuel. I changed the config file to 91RON so I can run on the cheaper fuel. Now, I know the car has knock sensors and stuff, so it would run on the cheaper fuel regardless of what I put in the config, but will there be a difference in changing 95 to 91? I wouldn't mind it losing some power if it will afford me better mileage since my fuel consumption is abysmal. At the time of parking, it's averaging me 19L/100 Km. Really REALLY awful.

Mind you, a lot of the blame is on the traffic here in my country. My daily 6km commute home takes me 45 minutes to 1 hour when traffic is really bad.

to be honest, I dont believe that setting changes anything, its more of a reference - some fields make changes, others are just reference points.

For example if you set that to a 6 speed gearbox and you have a five speed (and manual) then it wont make a jot of difference I dont think, but if you have an auto and change it, then you will cause issues.

Glad you fixed it. make sure you back it up next time :)

Also, nice to have an expert like JW1982 around :D

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club