Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Catalytic convertor

flump

Hi all, my poor baby last year had to have a catalytic fitted as the garage where I brought it from jacked it up ! now ,they fitted a generic one and all I got was a banging under the car and poor performance,to cut a long story short my local garage sorted the noise by packing out a bracket the exhaust was tapping on,this was due to it being generic. He also said they also disconnected the maintenance light,so obviously there was another problem they didn't want me to know about,and he couldn't say what the problem was as the maintenance light would give a code as to what was wrong.

Now,he said to take my car for its M.O.T a month early,it will fail on the catalytic,I then tell them it will need a proper one & only pay half the cost as they screwed up the genetic one. Would this work ? I assume there would be a 12 month guarantee on the generic catalytic ?

Hope I've made sense as I'm not good with things under the bonnet or under the car 😅😅😅

Ahhh right,I think this time I'm going to take it to a different garage for its M.O.T.......but if they only put the generic one in last year surely it should last more than a year ? So I could say they can put a proper one in and seeing as I payed £500 last year for the generic one Im only paying half the cost of a proper one,I'm not paying another £800 odd for another catalytic,or words to that effect.....they proper bodged it up to be honest,the tapping noise I had that stopped me pulling away properly they said was the heat shield, so they removed it,my lovely new garage man said that was a load of &£%=#@₩ and showed me under the ramp exactly what was making that noise. I'll never go to them again,they have got proper dodgy just lately.

Unfortunately the cheap generic cats never really work properly in my experience, you have to get them really hot to pass the emissions test even the first month they're fitted sometimes, and as you've found out they don't fit properly either.

I think you were had with the price, as well as the bodges, cheap cats are like £100 - £200, and I can't see it taking 6 hours of labour!  Don't think I'd go back to that garage at all, but you're welcome to try complaining about it and see if you get anywhere!! :)

Not knowing much about under the bonnet I didn't know a generic one would be useless. Thanks for the input & advice,you live & learn. And no I'm not going back there again,I've got a new garage I use,father-in-law has used them for years & never had any problems,I only went to him the once & had a Christmas ard in the post,was a very pleasant surprise