Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Painting calipers


Patrico777
 Share

Recommended Posts

on the paint i brought it told me a drying time i left mine about 45 mins before i added another coat it was quite dry by then i put 3 coats on mine and they look great

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Painting the pads isn't the coolest.

I stripped my calipers down and reassembled when the paint had dried and lubricated everything that moves (not the braking surfaces though!) with a copper based grease.

571942e4c1f10_ImageUploadedByFordOC14612

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC mobile app

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I'm pretty confident that painted calipers will impress everyone and their dogs.

Checked the oil level, water level, brake fluid, washer fluid, tyre pressures recently?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 10:15 PM, Ffoxy said:

Painting the pads isn't the coolest.

I stripped my calipers down and reassembled when the paint had dried and lubricated everything that moves (not the braking surfaces though!) with a copper based grease

Did you do the slide pins with copper grease as well?  If so, that's not a great idea, copper grease is only an anti-seize, not a lubricant.  Red rubber grease is far better on sliders.  I Did my calipers last weekend (yeah I know its not a Ford lol).  Everyone and their dogs like Gold right? :wink:

IMG_20160417_115213605_zpstqrxsmsh.jpg

IMG_20160420_113657378_zpslv2kmqk4.jpg 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 10:15 PM, Ffoxy said:

Painting the pads isn't the coolest.

I stripped my calipers down and reassembled when the paint had dried and lubricated everything that moves (not the braking surfaces though!) with a copper based grease.

ImageUploadedByFord OC1461273315.411312.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC mobile app

Nice job mate, like any paint job, all in the prep as they say. Really like ike the contrast with the graphite/charcoal grey alloy wheels on this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks fella.

That car is now for sale at Bristol St Motors in Bolton, it's a genuine minter.

I've got a "Magnetic" ZS 140 now and I've had the wheels off today for a proper seeing to, gloss blacked the drums (already showing signs of corrosion on a 16 plate with 600 miles on it!) Took the opportunity to clean the wheels and wax them on the back of the rims too.

Probably do the calipers gold on this one.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC mobile app

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did my Hyundai i30's calipers gold.571be176dfd78_ImageUploadedByFordOC14614

The sliders on my Fiestas were fine tbh, the Black was only a year old.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC mobile app

Link to comment
Share on other sites


5 hours ago, Ffoxy said:

 

Thanks fella.

That car is now for sale at Bristol St Motors in Bolton, it's a genuine minter.

 

I've got a "Magnetic" ZS 140 now and I've had the wheels off today for a proper seeing to, gloss blacked the drums (already showing signs of corrosion on a 16 plate with 600 miles on it!) Took the opportunity to clean the wheels and wax them on the back of the rims too.

 

Probably do the calipers gold on this one.

 

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC mobile app

Yeah it looks a rare mint car. If I was looking for one right now i'd consider it but going to keep mine for another 3-4 years as its cheap to run and service (free road tax and 60mpg) and i'll not lose too much in the depreciation stakes that way! really is good cheap motoring if you buy at a year old and run for five-six years.

 

I got my front calipers and rear hubs done professionally in original colours by my friend at the local body shop/paint shop for around £85 (he already had the paint and made a mint job. This was when the car was two year old too! they really do show signs of corrosion due to operating conditions being harsh. my car gets regular detailing treatment too. I think its a false economy on a fiesta to start getting into the sending-them off to the brake caliper painting specialists due to the prices involved. as long as they are removed and well prepped and painted by yourself or a local body shop you won't go far wrong. I think your looking at hundreds of pounds with the specialist firms which is a false economy on this car imo.

yeah if you can a good sealant for the wheels applied twice a year makes all the difference inc the backs so much easier to clean too. will prob have to get the hubs and calipers repainted in another 18months - 2 years I think also.

I think an issue is that a lot of these cars sit at a dockside location for a long period before getting registered in some cases and that close to salt water environment may start corrosion off on some of the braking components.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23. apríla 2016 at 9:03 AM, TomsFocus said:

Did you do the slide pins with copper grease as well?  If so, that's not a great idea, copper grease is only an anti-seize, not a lubricant.  Red rubber grease is far better on sliders.  I Did my calipers last weekend (yeah I know its not a Ford lol).  Everyone and their dogs like Gold right? :wink:

IMG_20160417_115213605_zpstqrxsmsh.jpg

IMG_20160420_113657378_zpslv2kmqk4.jpg 

 

You mean that metal cable yes I did ?! Is it problem what to do now v

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No that metal 'cable' is a spring clip, you can paint that problem, paint on the pads won't be an issue either, just looks a bit odd.  You won't have touched the slide pins, they are what the bolts go through at the back, my post was aimed at someone else. :smile:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership