Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fly Eyes?

LewisZetec

In addition to the many other mods I have my mind on, fly eyes are up for debate. They are really cheap and look good (until close inspection). I have spoken briefly to owners who have fly eyes fitted and they are happy with the results for the price of them. Unfortunately for me my car is technically under my dads name and although he doesn't even drive it, any modifications have to go through him. He is concerned about how the mesh material will affect MOT (I've told him it doesnt make a difference as light outage is not affected enough to cause any problems, but that hasn't made him feel any easier about them). Does anyone have them fitted and could provide some more information about them? Such as any police issues, insurance problems etc... 

9 hours ago, LewisZetec said:

In addition to the many other mods I have my mind on, fly eyes are up for debate. They are really cheap and look good (until close inspection). I have spoken briefly to owners who have fly eyes fitted and they are happy with the results for the price of them. Unfortunately for me my car is technically under my dads name and although he doesn't even drive it, any modifications have to go through him. He is concerned about how the mesh material will affect MOT (I've told him it doesnt make a difference as light outage is not affected enough to cause any problems, but that hasn't made him feel any easier about them). Does anyone have them fitted and could provide some more information about them? Such as any police issues, insurance problems etc... 

But the insurance is all in your name correct? Otherwise you are fronting your insurance.

• Like 1

The film can also damage the headlights.

• Like 2

Well personally if my insurance was illegally through my parents I wouldn't want to draw any police or VOSA attention with Flyeyes...  It also looks awful unless you're a good few feet away lol.

• Like 2

I wonder if you can get those plastic headlight covers that usually clip over the headlights - usually to protect from stones and UV - might be able to apply the film to those instead and have a way to remove the mod easily.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, m1tch said:

But the insurance is all in your name correct? Otherwise you are fronting your insurance.

It is only fronting if you don't correctly declare the main driver and owner.

You can have policy holder different to owner or main driver.

My parents used to do this, my Dad owned and insured the car, but my mum was main driver.

3 hours ago, alexp999 said:

It is only fronting if you don't correctly declare the main driver and owner.

You can have policy holder different to owner or main driver.

My parents used to do this, my Dad owned and insured the car, but my mum was main driver.

Indeed, I was just checking that the OP had declared himself as the main (and possibly only driver) of the car - I know when getting quotes for insurance they ask if the policy holder is also the owner of the vehicle (eg on the V5).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, m1tch said:

yeah insurance is under my name, but it worked out a little cheaper to have my dad as the legal owner of the car. He is a named driver, and so is my mum. it isnt illegal to have the registered owner and main driver under different names, I cleared that with trust ford when I bought the car

18 hours ago, LewisZetec said:

yeah insurance is under my name, but it worked out a little cheaper to have my dad as the legal owner of the car. He is a named driver, and so is my mum. it isnt illegal to have the registered owner and main driver under different names, I cleared that with trust ford when I bought the car

Just checking as I know that some members sometimes aren't aware of some the legal or technical issues - good to see that you checked with the right people.

That's weird, it usually costs more if someone else owns the car.  I was leant a car to get me out of trouble a couple of years ago and had to change the V5 to my name or it would cost more.  Maybe different for younger people though!

You do still get no-claims bonus like that yeah?  That's the important thing when you're a new driver! :smile: 

• Like 1

On 11/05/2016 at 8:44 AM, TomsFocus said:

That's weird, it usually costs more if someone else owns the car.  I was leant a car to get me out of trouble a couple of years ago and had to change the V5 to my name or it would cost more.  Maybe different for younger people though!

You do still get no-claims bonus like that yeah?  That's the important thing when you're a new driver! :smile: 

Yeah I do still get no claims because the insurance is me as the main driver and policy holder. Just worked out a little cheaper to have my parents as the registered keeper of the vehicle, I guess that's maybe because insurance companies feel safer knowing the vehicle technically belongs to someone who has been driving for 20+ years 

• Like 1

What on earth are 'Fly Eyes' call me dumb but never heard of it! Maybe its because I'm nearly 50!

4 minutes ago, Ian Lanc said:

What on earth are 'Fly Eyes' call me dumb but never heard of it! Maybe its because I'm nearly 50!

These are fly eyes, not a fan of them my self.

4-Rolls-Fly-eye-tint-For-Car-Headlight-t

• Like 2

They look pretty brutal up close. Friends of mine have had theirs on other cars and they can cause damage to the units themselves. Can't see the appeal at all myself.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, opr said:

They look pretty brutal up close. Friends of mine have had theirs on other cars and they can cause damage to the units themselves. Can't see the appeal at all myself.

Yeah upon further consideration, I've chosen to not opt for them. Look a bit naff until a fair distance away from the car

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ian Lanc said:

It's basically the equivalent of putting your Mums tights over the light units back in the Max Power days!! :biggrin: 

• Like 2

Well you learn stuff everyday! I wouldn't put that stuff on!

On my Titanium I've got the all chrome/clear front headlamps, thought they looked lovely but strange as it may be I like the standard chrome & black lights.:wink:

I must admit, there is a big difference between chrome bezel and black bezel light units, my Xenons came with black bezel but the majority of 'normal' lights seem to come with the silver, the black looks much better when I park next to an otherwise identical Focus!

I'm not sure if anyone does 'black masked' lights for the Fiesta yet but I'd much rather those than flyeyes or any other tint over the whole light.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club