Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.4tdci SMF vs DMF - how to tell

m1tch

Hi all,

I have started to stockpile spare service items for my mk6 Fiesta so that they are to hand when the time comes - as most of you guys know things only fail if its a Sunday or parts aren't in stock etc.

Anyway, I will look to get myself a clutch kit as the car has just ticked over the 123k mark, the clutch seems fine at the moment but I don't know when it was last changed, I do 95% motorway miles so barely use the clutch vs the number of miles I do.

Anyway, I know that some of the engines are fitted with a single mass flywheel and some with a dual mass flywheel, I am guessing as the Ford 1.4 TDCi with its 8v and lower power would probably have a SMF and the higher power Citroen/Peugeot 16v 1.4 HDi would have the DMF. Although I am sure Ford in their infinite wisdom have fitted an expensive and complicated DMF to a low power diesel engine.

Can anyone tell me which flywheel I need to order, I don't know if I will 100% need it but I know that flywheels and clutches are worn together so a new clutch and old flywheel might not be ideal (depends on the wear etc).

Thanks in advance!

my 2007 fiesta 1.6TDCI has now done about 150k miles (mostly by me and now owned by my brother). about 75% motorway driving. still on original clutch . no sign of anything on it's way out. You might not need one for a long time yet. I do not know if that has dual mass flywheel or not. I never found anyone who could tell me for sure.

17 hours ago, isetta said:

my 2007 fiesta 1.6TDCI has now done about 150k miles (mostly by me and now owned by my brother). about 75% motorway driving. still on original clutch . no sign of anything on it's way out. You might not need one for a long time yet. I do not know if that has dual mass flywheel or not. I never found anyone who could tell me for sure.

Thanks for that, I will just keep an eye on it, I don't know the sort of driving that had been done on the clutch with previous owners, will just keep an ear out or make a note of any issues. Might see if I can pop into Ford with my VIN number for them to check on their records to see if there is a way for them to see what was fitted.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club