Sign in to follow this  
Kevh17

Disappointing xenon lights - MK3

I have a MK3 Focus Titanium X and i'm a little disappointed with the output of the xenon headlights. They seem fairly bright but the range doesn't shine much further, if any, than cars I've had with halogen headlights. Our drive is between the garage and side of the house and the cut off to the passenger side seems fairly straight with a slight tilt downwards but I suppose it would be hard to tell if they're correct without properly measuring them. 

It's getting close to being 6 years old now so I suppose they could also not be working as they once were.

Anyone else had problems with these and what was the solution?

Thanks

Quote from this Wikipedia article : " Brand new high-intensity discharge lamps make more visible light per unit of electric power consumed than fluorescent and incandescent lamps, since a greater proportion of their radiation is visible light in contrast to infrared. However, the lumen output of HID lighting can deteriorate by up to 70% over 10,000 burning hours. "

Whilst yours may not have been used for as long as that it's clear that their light output reduces over time so maybe it's time for replacement.

I've been waiting for a while to see if any discount codes are available or they're in the sale but still the same price. Over £100 for a new pair isn't cheap but you're probably right

Incandescent bulbs also deteriorate over time, the high temp of the filament means that atoms of the metal "boil off" and deposit on the inside of the glass...  

Something else to consider is what bulbs are in there, if the previous owner slapped in some 6000k bulbs then they will look really bright and very white but are utterly useless for seeing things.  Factory fitted Xenon bulbs tend to be around the 4500k mark, which gives them a white appearance but casts a white-yellowish beam, which is significantly better for seeing anything in the dark.

1 hour ago, Guzzilazz said:

Incandescent bulbs also deteriorate over time, the high temp of the filament means that atoms of the metal "boil off" and deposit on the inside of the glass

This is true for ordinary filament lamps but halogen lamps are designed to redeposit the evaporated tungsten onto the filament, see here.

4 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

Something else to consider is what bulbs are in there, if the previous owner slapped in some 6000k bulbs then they will look really bright and very white but are utterly useless for seeing things.  Factory fitted Xenon bulbs tend to be around the 4500k mark, which gives them a white appearance but casts a white-yellowish beam, which is significantly better for seeing anything in the dark.

I think an older couple owned it before us - only 21k miles in 4 and a bit years - so probably just standard bulbs. They look like standard xenons when on