Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Towbar electrics

xn85

I have a Ford towbar on my Edge. When towing in my old Kuga, rear parking sensors were disabled and the dashboard display depicted a car & trailer. Is this supposed to be the same on the Edge? My rear parking sensors still operate and I have no pictogram to show caravan connected. Is this right?

thanks

Dave

No, rear sensors are disabled and a picture of a trailer comes up on the reverse cam

My parking sensors remained on, but I was too busy trying to steer the caravan onto the pitch to notice the camera... 

It back into the dealer this week to sort out some bodywork niggles and re-programme the towbar electrics as they think that's why my tailgate only opens half way...

Just towed our van down to its pitch tonight- had an indicator malfunction on trailer flash up on the dash- don't think the electrics were plugged in far enough. 

My parking sensors are still on when connected to caravan plus all that comes up on display is a notice saying trailer connected. Not sure what is supposed to be displayed.

I'll try and take a photograph late- once the electrics are connected the image of the car in the top right corner of the reverse can has a trailer on it. 

I never noticed on mine , are yours all factory fitted tow bars ? Mine was done at the dealer as there wasn't a car built with tow bar when i ordered mine .

I'm having a towbar fitted on mine tomorrow from the local company just in time for our Easter break, I'm curious now as to what mine will display. I am having dedicated 13 pin electrics.

Well I'm having a towbar fitted on mine tomorrow from the local company just in time for our Easter break, I'm curious now as to what mine will display. I am having dedicated 13 pin electrics.

had my towbar fitted today, when I put the car in reverse the sensors are still going off and no pictorial of a trailer is displayed. Called the fitter when I got home and his response was you have to turn them off manually with your switch in the car, it's funny how my Audi use to deactivate automatically and display a trailer hitch on the screen. Anyway to cut a long story short he is going to make some enquirers next week with the technical department, at least I am able to take the caravan away this weekend now.

There isn't a switch for the rear sensors is there?

14 minutes ago, NeilRS said:

There isn't a switch for the rear sensors is there?

No there isn't, the switch turns both front and rear off. He hasn't got a clue, just taken the bulb out my caravan and it doesn't even tell me I have a bulb out. The car either isn't programmed or they have fitted a crappy scotchlock bodge job electrics.

do you have any pictures of your dash you can send when trailer is plugged in?

Have they used vehicle specific electrics from Ford or just generic wiring and tapped into your loom? 

Mine is a Ford towbar, fitted by my dealer. It was due to go back to dealer yesterday for a software update to the towing electrics as they think the reason why my tailgate only opens half way (I have to manually lift it up fully) is connected to this. Due to a ***** up, the dealer booked it in for next week, but at least it's not stopping me getting away with the caravan...

They have used non ford vehicle specific electrics, think it's westfalia but not sure. Can any of you guys confirm if you get a message saying the trailer is connected when you tow? I'm just after some pictures to show the towbar fitter of what the dash should be displaying etc with reverse sensors etc.

Hello

when I towed with mine the other week there was no picture or a differant sound to say the indicators were working 

my tow bar is a ford bar fitted by the dealer

paul

The picture of the trailer only comes up when you select reverse. Don't think there's a different indicator sound, or any additional lights to say the trailer indicators are working. You do get a message when you disconnect that the trailer is disconnected. 

I have a factory fitted towbar which I used for the first time last week.  

When I connected the trailer a few seconds after I got a message on the info screen in the dash, same style as the message that tells you the park brake has been applied, that stated "trailer connected".  It must then do some sort of test as these were folowed shortly by 2 similar messages anouncing that the the right hand indicator and then the right hand brake lights on the trailer were inoperative.  

I then revesed the combination and I never got the reverse sensor warning biut I also didn't make note of what the camera screen was showing as that is the last place I would be looking when reversing a trailer. 

When I did a traditional lights test, ie, switch them on and walk around, there was no tone or additional lights on when the working indicator was on but as the info centre tells you when it is inop I don't suppose a tone is required.

If I get a chance tomorrow I will try and capture some video to make sense of what I said above.

Jim

7 minutes ago, Jim610 said:

I have a factory fitted towbar which I used for the first time last week.  

When I connected the trailer a few seconds after I got a message on the info screen in the dash, same style as the message that tells you the park brake has been applied, that stated "trailer connected".  It must then do some sort of test as these were folowed shortly by 2 similar messages anouncing that the the right hand indicator and then the right hand brake lights on the trailer were inoperative.  

I then revesed the combination and I never got the reverse sensor warning biut I also didn't make note of what the camera screen was showing as that is the last place I would be looking when reversing a trailer. 

When I did a traditional lights test, ie, switch them on and walk around, there was no tone or additional lights on when the working indicator was on but as the info centre tells you when it is inop I don't suppose a tone is required.

If I get a chance tomorrow I will try and capture some video to make sense of what I said above.

Jim

That video would be extremely useful Jim, I'd really appreciate that.

12 hours ago, llo2006 said:

That video would be extremely useful Jim, I'd really appreciate that.

Me too, please

Hi

As promised I managed to capture how a factory fitted towbar electrics interacts and displays with the car.

As this forum doesn't seem to allow video attachments you will need to look here.

It initially shows the trailer detection.  I then waited a while to see if it detected any faults, which it didn't.  I then selected reverse and you can see the trailer symbol on the screen and no reversing sensor beeps.  Also you will notice that when I put the hazards on there was no additional lights or buzzers to indicate trailer operation.

I did however manage to reproduce one of the error indications as per this picture.

The only other thing is once the trailer is disconnected it took nearly 5 minutes before the car realised it and showed this picture.

I have no idea how this reply will look as this forum also doesn't allow preview to sort out format and layout so the pictures might be in the wrong place!

If yours doesn't behave like above then either you don't have Ford compatible wiring installed or your car need reprograming so it recognises the wiring.

Jim

20170415_101855.jpg

20170415_103003.jpg

Hello jim

thanks for the pictures I will check my one.

how did you manage to get your digital speed come in the centre I only get sat nav radio or a compass is this some thing to do with sync 3 I have the 2 on my edge

paul

THink the speed is only available with sync 3. 

Hmmm... Very interesting! Many thanks for the photos and video Jim.

I connected my car to the caravan yesterday and do not get any of the features Jim has shown. My parking sensors are still operational, too. This leads me to wonder whether the issue is with dealer fit towbars (rather than factory fit ones), or with Sync2. I notice that Jim's photos show Sync3. Has anybody got a dealer fit towbar that has the same displays as Jim has? If so, do you have Sync2 or 3?

On another point, should the car auto-relock? I find that if I have the car keys in my pocket, I often accidentally unlock my car whilst sat at my desk (I'm lazy - I park right outside!). I've noticed it unlocked on a few occasions now when I've returned to my car and have just tried unlocking my car to see whether it relocked again. After 2 minutes it still hadn't relocked...

It's booked in at the dealers Thursday to look at the software on the towbar (they seem to think my tailgate only opening half way is linked to my towbar electrics) and I seem to be developing a list...

Just carried out a test on mine and it auto re-locks after 40-45 seconds.

Jim

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club