Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MOT failure on speedometer, help!!

Oden

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if you can help me... I've just got my 1997 1.3 KA back from the garage having failed its MOT.

The speedometer doesn't work, the garage replaced the speed sensor cable and found it made no difference. They ran diagnostic checks... all was okay besides the engine management system ECU which they got no data from. They suspect internal ECU failure. What would be your advice on how to go about this? Just wondering if you've seen anything like this before, and if you know a cheap fix? Thanks to everyone in advance.

The last I knew a speedo wasn't an mot testable item (for operation).

Speedo shouldn't be part of an MOT.

i had a Toyota Hilux Surf that went 5 years without a working speedo and never failed an MOT on it and my Scimitar SS1 passed it's MOT last September without a working speedo (although I intend to fix it). In all, I think I used 4 different MOT stations.

No, as of April 2013 they test the operation of Speedometers. So looking for a solution to fix it. Screenshot_20170428-152026.thumb.png.e1c235a63fc03b4abe45a753526b3631.png

Well, as i say, my SS1 passed it's MOT september 2016 with a non working speedo and my Surf passed 3 MOT's back to 2013 with a non-working one.

I've just googled it and it seems to be a bit ambiguous as to whether it's an MOT requirement or not.

Try another MOT station??

"clearly inoperative" , the check for this or any other part of mot does not require a road test other than to check brakes that cannot be tested on roller brake tester . therefore a non working speedo will pass normally. and as quite a few speedos dont register under 10mph then manourvering around a workshop wont cause an issue with speedo to show up.

• Like 1

try going into the instrument cluster diagnostic mode

self diagnostic Mode

To enter the instrument cluster Self-Diagnostic Mode simultaneously press and hold the tripmeter reset button and turn the ignition switch to position II.

When TEST is displayed in the LCD, release the tripmeter reset button.

The instrument cluster will enter the gauge sweep test.

To navigate through or skip any of the instrument cluster self-diagnostic mode tests press the tripmeter RESET button. If the reset button is depressed for more than 3 seconds between tests, the instrument cluster will exit the self-diagnostic mode.

The self-diagnostic mode is deactivated when the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position.

Self-Diagnostic Mode

Test Odometer Display Gauge/Indicator/Display Tested Description
1. Gauge sweep GAGE Tachometer, speedometer and fuel All gauges go through an up and down sweep smoothness check, which takes approximately five seconds.
2. Fill in all LCD All segments illuminated Odometer LCD Fills in LCD.
3. Indicator LEDs bulb Indicators and warning indicators Illuminates all the warning indicators that are controlled by the instrument cluster.
4. ROM level r XX Instrument cluster read only memory (ROM) Displays the instrument cluster ROM revision level.
5. Non-volatile memory level EE XX Instrument cluster non-volatile memory Displays the instrument cluster non-volatile memory condition.
6. Not required dtXXXX Manufacturing test date Not required
7. Vehicle speed km/h XXX.X Speedometer
Displays the speed signal input in km/h.
--- = input signal is not in range or a short or open circuit is detected.
8. Vehicle speed km/h Sc XXXX Speedometer Displays hexadecimal count output to the speedometer

if the speedo needle sweeps then you know thats not the issue, then the next check is the connector to the speed sensor, pin 1 should have 12 v , pin 3 earth, pin 2 goes to pcm

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club