Sign in to follow this  
taxidon123

cluster problem

Hi I have 57 plate ford focus 1.6 automatic.It keeps coming up with engine system fault    reduced  acceleration   transmission malfunction.And then all the lights come on the dash and the rev counter and speedometer temperature gauge die and will go up and down.I Took it my mechanic and he says it coming up with a gearbox problem.So he cleaned all the connections.but it hasent solved it..Then spoke to someone who said the the clusters have a fault with the soldering.But today it started to not change gear smoothly ever now and then can any one help?? 

On 12/25/2017 at 11:47 AM, taxidon123 said:

Then spoke to someone who said the the clusters have a fault with the soldering.But today it started to not change gear smoothly ever now and then can any one help?? 

The 2006 Focus is absolutely notorious for faulty soldering where the main connector on the cluster (IC) goes open circuit at times. Whether this same fault extends to the 57 reg, I do not know, but it is possible.

However, the IC and the ECU talk to each other a lot, over the CAN bus that goes via this connector. Any faults here could easily affect the way an Auto transmission changes gears. So it needs sorting out.

On the 2006 ICs, the fault usually results in the immobiliser staying on. So this may be a different fault, but still on the IC.

I did a PDF about the 2006 IC fault:

https://www.fordownersclub.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=40491

Some places claim to be able to test and repair ICs for about £100.

Have very similar problem with 2010 1.6 automatic. My local dealer quoted 1000+€ for the fix, so i decided to give it a shot and sort this myself. 

I haven't got far though. Recently pulled out IC and found out its 8V4T-10849-EK, now the question is can I replace it with anything else since mailing it in for repair is not an option for me (high shipping costs, can't live without car for month+).

In this thread someone mentioned that it must match fuel type, so in my case I need a petrol one, but does it have to match AT/MT as well?

Would any of these work?

8V4T-10849-EE
8V4T-10849-EF
8V4T-10849-EG
8V4T-10849-EJ
8V4T-10849-EK (same as currently installed)

I also remember seeing a tutorial about upgrading IC on mk2 to mk2.5 one with details about programming keys, etc, perhaps someone has a bookmark or smth, I can't seem to find it anymore?

2 hours ago, uberdrowse said:

someone mentioned that it must match fuel type, so in my case I need a petrol one, but does it have to match AT/MT as well?

I think Wilco answered that in the thread. He said:

" A MK2.5 instrument cluster can be installed into a MK2 without any problems. Technically there are only 2 different MK2.5 instrument cluster types. Petrol and Diesel. All MK2/MK2.5 Petrol instrument clusters are compatible. The same for Diesel instrument clusters."

2 hours ago, uberdrowse said:

details about programming keys

Have a read through:

http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=839

(Note: The Forscan system has recently been updated to include the incode/outcode generation.)

Follow up:

Received IC this morning, and went to swap my 8V4T-10849-EK with 8V4T-10849-EJ (that's what I managed to source on ebay). 

Here is the tutorial I would definitely recommend to follow (even if you're just swapping mk2.5 IC's):

I used "Tunnelrat Electronics" USB Modified ELM327. All went pretty smooth, only got stuck at trying to reprogram keys on new (2nd hand) IC, problem was my ODB-II dongle was switched to incorrect CAN bus so toggling MS/HS CAN bus solved that.