Do Not Sell My Personal Information

De-chroming my Focus

Rumblestrip

So I’m looking at ways to get rid of some of the chrome on my Titanium. Maybe thinking the window trims and around the fog lights. Poooooossssssibly the front grille. 

Anyway, after googling it the options seem to be plasti-dip (which I don’t think would last very long especially cleaning the damn thing) or wrapping. Now the wrapping seems very expensive if done by a professional, so the option is doing it myself. 

So has anyone done this themselves and what product did you use or which product would you recommend. 

BC722514-3503-487F-BA89-CF5D3584EA40.png

Have you considered hydrodipping?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Stoney871 said:

Have you considered hydrodipping?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Wouldn’t that be expensive and wouldn’t I need to remove the parts?

Wouldn’t that be expensive and wouldn’t I need to remove the parts?

Yes you would have to remove the bits, and to get the best results when wrapping you should really do the same. I was going to plasti-dip my trim but decided it was easier to just change the car lol. I looked at doing it and actually bought everything but the plasti-dip, I never had the space to do it though. It looked like there was a lot of prep but didn’t require as much skill as wrapping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

Yes you would have to remove the bits, and to get the best results when wrapping you should really do the same. I was going to plasti-dip my trim but decided it was easier to just change the car lol. I looked at doing it and actually bought everything but the plasti-dip, I never had the space to do it though. It looked like there was a lot of prep but didn’t require as much skill as wrapping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve just got the car so not changing it lol I’m curious as to the plasti-dip and how long it lasts. I don’t mind the prep work as I used to be a paint sprayer do masking off etc is easy. Same with wrapping. Edging and trimming wouldn’t be that difficult. I’m trying to find out which material to use. The 3M stuff seems to only come as sheets and I’d prefer a roll of tape rather than cutting sheets. 

I plasti-dipped the fog surrounds on my Focus and two and a half years on it's still there. I did my wheels at the same time and it lasted a couple of weeks despite careful preparation and application.

10 hours ago, Dan P said:

I plasti-dipped the fog surrounds on my Focus and two and a half years on it's still there. I did my wheels at the same time and it lasted a couple of weeks despite careful preparation and application.

If i were to put this on the chrome window trims would I need to prep the trims or just spray it directly on?

best sell chrom parts and buy witout them

around window good vinyl will help

I’m going down the Plasti Dip route. Ordered a tin of dip and the glossifier. I’ll let you know how it goes when I do it. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rumblestrip said:

If i were to put this on the chrome window trims would I need to prep the trims or just spray it directly on?

Just cleaning them should be enough. Have a search on YouTube, there are loads of videos offering advice on application. 

May be a bit late if you've already placed an order but @kpg has done an excellent job on his, I think with wrap...

• 2 weeks later...

I asked a local firm about wrapping the chrome on my car (window trims, front grille and foglight surrounds) and they quoted me £190. I don’t think so haha

I've done wrapping on my previous car's wing mirror covers. Wrapped them in carbon fibre. With wrapping you need a heat gun and squeagy (credit card may work also). You use the heat gun to soften up the wrap and stretch it over curved areas and use a squeagy to make sure the wrap goes flat and try to prevent creases. 

_20180212_145740.JPG

_20180212_151510.JPG

_20180212_151334.JPG

_20180212_151448.JPG

19 minutes ago, zain611 said:

I've done wrapping on my previous car's wing mirror covers. Wrapped them in carbon fibre. With wrapping you need a heat gun and squeagy (credit card may work also). You use the heat gun to soften up the wrap and stretch it over curved areas and use a squeagy to make sure the wrap goes flat and try to prevent creases. 

_20180212_145740.JPG

_20180212_151510.JPG

_20180212_151334.JPG

_20180212_151448.JPG

It looks good. I’m just unsure about the trimming part. I’d end up cutting into the trim or paintwork or something nasty. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club