Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch advice

GFoster

Hi all,

Just after some advice as concerned may have been ripped off by garage. I have Mk2 05 Focus 1.6 petrol and yesterday as I pulled away from a junction it would not go from 1st to 2nd, thought I'd just missed the gear but tried again and it wouldn't go into any gear. Pulled over etc etc. Tow was on way so looked for close garages to take it to. Why I didn't go to my usual one I don't know, maybe was pulled in by ad for good price repairs from one I saw online.

Anyway, they quoted me £450 for replacement, fitted. I shopped around online and got great price for the clutch kit so garage agreed to just fit for me. So this would have worked out about £330. When I collected and took the clutch in they suggested it may be the master cylinder and said it could be worth trying that first as only £120 fitted, then if not they would do the clutch. Only downside is I'd pay the extra for that as well, which kind of took the price back to where they'd quoted originally. They tried and it didn't work but they mentioned something about "getting the pedal" back at least.

When I took the car in the clutch pedal was exactly as it's always been, it wasn't on the floor or anything, had the same amount of feel to it etc. Out of curiosity I called the garage I usually go to and the said that if the master cylinder had gone there would be no pedal, ie on the floor. Is this the case? Should the other garage not have suggested this as an option? 

You probably annoyed them with supplying your own parts on a job they knew they were making nice profit. £450 you paid, did they actually change the master cylinder or just use it to bump the price up? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club