Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre Spot destroyed locking wheel nut

rs200

As  the heading says , Tyre spot destroyed my wheel locking nut,  went to get a puncture fixed, had ran it flat , so  not repairable,  opted to but 2 tyre`s (fronts) as i did not like idea of having  a half worn and new Tyre on same axle. Air gunned off  nuts on (previously changed space saving spare )  Air gunned off  nuts on other wheel, yet they smashed the pattern  on the locking nut, they said it smashed as it was too tight (Halfords were the last outfit i used to replace front tyres ) Tyre spot , used  air chisels etc  , i gave my permission to use heat  as it would burn paint on alloys , they smashed the entire head, and they  said i need to  get a nut welded on.  Suggested  a place to go,  went ,  to be told there is nothing to weld  to , will have to be drilled out. The locking key socket i was told usually breaks before the nut , the socket is fine.  So can anyone offer  some help,  can i claim some sort of compensation , as its more cost to me to get  whats left of the nut drilled out .  Thanks  

Yes its cold and snow on ground,  yet surly the cold would not shatter  the pattern   of the locking nut. 

When i changed to space saver tyre , i undid nuts by hand , yes admittedly the locking was tighter than the other  nuts , so i dont not believe Halfords put the locking nut on so tight  , that another airgun shattered   the pattern 

Edited by rs200
added more

The locking wheel nut key on the focus is made of cheese.  Ive had to replace mine £50 from ford.

2 minutes ago, JONATHAN_11_80 said:

The locking wheel nut key on the focus is made of cheese.  Ive had to replace mine £50 from ford.

The locking key  is fine , no damage to key ,  its the locking nut on the wheel  that got destroyed 

Lock nuts should only ever be tightened & removed using a hand wrench.
Using an airgun is a lazy and damaging action.
Imho the tyre spot company should fix the problem as they were heavy handed and broke the nut.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

More information from McGard, regarding Installation/Removal. Interesting to note their comment on the use of oil, grease or anti-seize lubricants on threads - "McGard does not recommend the use of oil, grease or anti-seize lubricants on threads." Spraying the threads with a greaseless lubricant (such as LPS-1) once a year is recommended.:

http://www.mcgard.com/index.php/customer-service/installationremoval

I did read elsewhere, that locking wheel nuts/bolts should be the last to be fully torqued and first to be undone, but cannot find it at the moment.

• Like 1

I had  new tyres  last September ,  I  deliver pizza  for a well known chain, i was a bit gutted  about having to replace  tyres  , yes i do the miles, , tread was still a good  3 mms , my fault , i knew i had a puncture ,  (slow) I always pumped up daily ,  least pressure was  maybe  16mb , i drove it off drive  with a complete flat  , did not realize  at the time , saw tyre was dead flat, , reversed it back  on drive , swapped wheels over.  As i said ,  lock nut was tighter  than other lug nuts,  got it undone  by hand.  With the snow  and having space saver on,  thought it best to  repair puncture  , to be told  tyre was un repairable , and now i face another bill , for a smashed locking nut.  im very peed off  , i need me car so i can work (0 hr contract) plus mot is due soon,  i also have on same side a failed wheel bearing, either way  the wheel has to come off   sorry useless info i know  , just how im feeling at the min, all for what ?  an air gun  

Put your new tyres on the rear.  Understeer is usually only inconvenient, whereas unexpected oversteer can often be deadly.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jethro_Tull said:

Put your new tyres on the rear.  Understeer is usually only inconvenient, whereas unexpected oversteer can often be deadly.

Not possible, i have one new tyre on front, as per the annoyance  of smashed lock nut  the rears are snow tyres  or winter tyres , putting better grip tyres on the front can put a car in a spin 

4 hours ago, JONATHAN_11_80 said:

Tyre place got my nut off in 15 mins for £12.

Also bought a replacement from McGard for £13 with possibility of it being free if you return your old one and it's a manufacturing defect.

You could buy a set of extractors for £12 and get them off yourself, then you're future proofed.

Tighten the new one progressively by hand to 90ftlb.  Its anal to have to do so, but whenever my motor goes in for boots I make a point of telling them not to use a windy gun on the lockers, and always inspect before driving off.  A wise man learns not from their own mistakes, but from someone else's.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club