Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Leather steering wheel refurb

Simon_K

Hi all,

my Focus Titanium came with a factory leather steering wheel, which has gone shiny over the years. 

I’ve seen a few YouTube videos about using or not using a “magic eraser” to remove the shine (supposedly removing the oils but looks like it abrades the surface). 

Is this a good idea? Or is there a better way to bring back the new car feel?

Thanks, was a bit dubious about the magic eraser but as your link says restores the leather aroma too I think I’ll give it a try!

I use colourlock and their leather light cleaner, conditioner and sealant. To be honest I don't think the light cleaner removes that much of that shininess from the steering wheel but it does take dirt off and makes it feel clean. I used it on my seats abs found the drivers seat to have the most improvement. DSC_0080.thumb.JPG.7cbaad26ce52dc838532cc73fe6fddd6.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried all sorts over the years to get shiny leather to look matt. The Ford leather steering wheels look fairly glossy from new compared to other marques, Audi for instance. Tonight I had a bit of a try it and see session on a spare clean 2014 Fiesta wheel with 40K miles on it. Eureka - I've found an everyday household cleaning product that does an amazing job in minutes. Tomorrow I'm going to do the wheel in my car. I'll post before and after pics and of the product used.

Well I went out to the car and did the steering wheel. I got the same amazing result as on the test wheel I did last night. I've put up a before and after. These pics were taken 5 mins apart and no real effort required. I did this using a soft piece of cotton cloth sprayed liberally with Dettol All in One Disinfectant Spray very lightly rubbed over all the leather to wet the surface and left to dry for a minute or two. Once dry the shine is gone. Looks much better IMO and 99% of the bacteria killed as a bonus :smile:. I did get the feeling that being too enthusiastic with the rubbing pressure and/or time could be detrimental so if you try this and ruin your wheel I take no responsibility.

IMG_1175.JPG

IMG_1178.JPG

Wow, you can see the shines gone. And you can eat your dinner off it!

7 hours ago, Simon_K said:

Wow, you can see the shines gone. And you can eat your dinner off it!

And there are no more bogey germs! :biggrin:

11 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

And there are no more bogey germs! :biggrin:

It's more dribble germs on a steering wheel while you're talking or singing along to the radio!  Plus whatever you've been touching before you get in, door handles, bank machines, shopping trolleys, petrol pumps etc.  :yucky:  I anti-bac mine quite regularly, never thought about it having any affect on the leather though lol.

• Like 1

I tried this tonight and it did seem to take the shine off the wheel, but then I applied some leather care to the leather which made it shiny again!! [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club