Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fly Eye Film?

Brigante

Yay or Nay?

Thinking of getting some in black as a cheap way to do my head lights n rear clusters till I get round to getting actual black units.

Opinions?

Who's already got it n would you recommend it?

This what I'm on about:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-HEADLIGHT-TAIL-LIGHT-TINT-VINYL-FILM-FLY-EYE-KIT-MOT-PASS-/230853710678?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35bff41356&_uhb=1#ht_3912wt_1186

i have seen them on a corsa combo van at a garage i went to a while back. On the van it looked ok but i think it will look better on the focus it does look like he put ladies tights over the headlight as it got the little hole in them he said it cuts about 5% of light but he did recomend it to me if i ever wanted it done. As it cheap try it if u dont like it take it off.

im intrigued may experiment doing this to the rear lights and see how it looks

May order some as it's only 10quid n give it a go in the week. Reading some of the sellers feedback through, they private listings so don't say what the product was, but the feedback says how it was poor quality crappy film, which I'm assuming is about the fly eyes.

Is the free sunstrip that comes with it likely to be any good?

theres a astra bertone round from me with totaly black headlights its a film but apparently doesnt block any light

Any idea what the films called mate?

i think its lamin x im not convinced its legal but they get away with it

Hmm didn't think a solid film would be legal that's why the fly eyes perforated to let the light shine through. May take a punt n get some at a tenner, if it looks crap I'll just rip it off n bin it lol.

i just want to do rear fog and reverse maybe 3rd brake light and see how it looks

I know a lad that has it on his mk1 rs and it looks really good. He said its very easy to put on but does say it cuts the light output somewhat. It is mot passable unlike some tints out there.

Seen it on a few cars at Ford Fair this year and i was impressed with it, coz it looks like a tint from the distance.

i dont want to do the fronts pointless finding great bulbs then cutting the light output but im interested in doing all the rear lights

i was thinking the same as artscot79 worth doing the rear lights but not sure about the reverse and fog light !

ive got the cree lights so the light will still be strong and with the black theme ive got going it may just blend it in

Here is a focus i found on the net with some kind of flyeye kit gives you a idea how it might look i no the pic is the facelift model but just a rough idea

post-27208-0-38440900-1349612625_thumb.j

They do look good fitted to the ST

I know they block out some of the light, but think it's only about 5% and I'd mainly want em on the head lights cause I want black head light units. These would do till I had a spare 80quid for the black units.

I think I may order some in the week n post a few photos once fitted to see what everyone thinks. Then if the light appears to be dramaticallyd reduced I'll just rip it off n bin it lol

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got to chat with my oppo in traffic.

Definitive answer concerning flyeye and tinting films on lights is fine for daytime but illegal on the road at night unless off road.

Anything that reduces the effectiveness of lights at night is a no-no.

Sorry guys, don't shoot the messenger.

Loads of guys up here have the fly eye's fitted. I personally wouldn't, at £375 for a headlight only (ST/RS), it's an expensive lesson if you get it wrong. Have heard of the glue heating up and melting / cracking the light.

I like the look of tinted headlights but the fly eye stuff up close doesn't look as good imo.

"Fly Eyes" tint as it doesn't actually tint the light it just forms a mesh to give the illusion of tint, and comes with a certificate of legality. spoke to vosa who confirm this so youre oppo has no right in reality as it is road legal and mot legal as well as it does not reduce or effect the light output enough only a max of 5% well short of the legal amount and after comparing the before and after on mine the effect is almost un noticeable as vosa stated you can show them the legality they dont have seperate rules that only apply to them

I finally got to chat with my oppo in traffic.

Definitive answer concerning flyeye and tinting films on lights is fine for daytime but illegal on the road at night unless off road.

Anything that reduces the effectiveness of lights at night is a no-no.

Sorry guys, don't shoot the messenger.

"Fly Eyes" tint as it doesn't actually tint the light it just forms a mesh to give the illusion of tint, and comes with a certificate of legality. spoke to vosa who confirm this so youre oppo has no right in reality as it is road legal and mot legal as well as it does not reduce or effect the light output enough only a max of 5% well short of the legal amount and after comparing the before and after on mine the effect is almost un noticeable as vosa stated you can show them the legality they dont have seperate rules that only apply to them

I faught the law and the fly eyes won!

If you fit some fly eye arthur says you won't get done!

There's always a clause in the fine print though.

It's called officers discretion, if it's of the officers opinion that the tint or film adversely affects the effectiveness of a light then they have the right to apply a prohibition order until the vehicle is inspected at a VOSA certificated garage or facility at the owners cost.

You pay your money and take your chance.

I know which side of the fence I'll fall on.

its not a tint though thats the problem and if it was found the officer was wrong and the car passes a vosa test despite providing the evidence the film is legal and passed by vosa i can gaurantee you i wont be paying fort the test the local force will i understand discretion however they are not allowed to make up there own laws in that if the certificate shows it to be road and mot legal at what point does he know better than them theres no point telling you to take it to a vosa testing station when the certificate tells him its already been approved not to knock them mate im just saying they should be dealing with the actual illegal mods

Department for transport (VOSA) has made changes to UK lighting regulations on 01/01/12

I contatcted VOSA's head MOT Technical Standards Engineer to ensure this prduct complies

with the new regulations made on 01/01/12.

Quote from Shaun Martin, BOSA MOT Technical Standards Engineer: "FlyEyesKit film does not

affect light colour and does not adversely reduce output, it is perfectly acceptable on all counts". i cannot see why a vehicle would be sent to vosa testing stations for having this film applied as it has already been passed and is well within the laws as they apply even when tested in dark conditions the light output was more than acceptable with a minimal drop of less than 5% in output, beam patterns or range was not effected should a vehicle be sent assuming the product has been correctly applied it will indeed be passed and deemed road legal, traffic police are aware of these regulations

from flyeye......... FlyEyesKit film has a unique removable adhesive which lasts for up to 5 years after application.

Removing FlyEyesKit takes seconds and will not leave any glue residue behind on your light

casing. If you suspect your vehicle's light casings have been previously sprayed with a clear

lacquer to protect against UV rays or stone chips, or if you have applied other tinting sprays,

do not apply the film to your lights as the removal may cause damage to your existing

lacquered finish.

If you are applying over your main beam lights, ensure that either the bulb has a silvered tip, or

that the fixture has a cowling in front of the bulb. Most UK headlamps are fitted like this.

Our kit can withstand some quite harsh punishment, but the radiated heat from direct exposure

to some high-power, bare-bulb headlamps can go above tolerance levels.

This product when used as recommended is completely legal on UK roads. Very light colours

such as white are not recommended for rear lights or indicators, as daylight can obscure the

appearance of light coming from behind the material. This effect is not noticable with other

colours, and our darker kits provide an unobstructed view of brakes and indicators in any

external light conditions.

As i said, Don't shoot the messenger.

I'm a Dog Handler not a Traffic Officer and in things concerning vehicle regulations and road traffic law I defer to someone who knows his stuff.

If he says no that's good enough for me- he deals with this stuff every day, I don't.

As i said, Officers Discression, If at the time of dealing with something on the roadside, considering road and light/weather conditions, if in the Officers considered and expert opinion the lighting is not deemed satisfactory then if taken to court the Officers word carries more weight.

BTW, as i stated, the VOSA inspection is at the cost of the owner, i guarantee that no refund will be considered.

Sorry but them's the facts.

no i understand mate i just mean that the traffic officers arent a law unto themselves thats all as vosa said they cant see a reason why a vehicle would be sent to them for this as the law is specific and this doesnt break that law in anyway and if it was it would be a pass so in honesty its a waste of the oficers time none the less its like any mod if the plod wishes to be an !Removed! about it they will be and pull anyone for anything it just seems they dont pull the right ones for the right reasons flyeye are sending me a copy of the legal certificate and vosa declaration so if i was pulled the officer woint have anything he can say to it

I would be interested in a copy of those documents if you're happy to pass them to me.

I'd like to show them to my oppo to see his reaction to them.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club