Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Mysterious Gearbox Drain Plug!?

cbjagtech@live.co.uk

Hi all need some advice here, preferably from a ford tech! Basically weve got a Focus mk2. Its a 57 late pre facelift but has some of the facelift bits-bit of a mix and match!

Anyway i fitted a new clutch recently, bit weird that there isnt a oil drain plug. Ive drained focus boxes before but on earlier ones, this seems to be a later one, with gear linkage at the front of the box. Im not a numpty here, i am a mechanic by trade, but it really isnt there! I googled and looked at pictures for the boxes and its different to mine, and obviously doesnt have the fricking plug! What gives, any ideas, hopefully someone who has access to Etis could take a look for me, i need to drain the oil and replace with something better, the only way i can is the drop the box out again and tip it from the driveshaft outputs, and i aint doing that!!

Cheers in advance

Chris

some of the earlier boxes didn't have a drain plug either. the oil can be sucked out through the filler plug or with a driveshaft removed - no need to remove the box again

some of the earlier boxes didn't have a drain plug either. the oil can be sucked out through the filler plug or with a driveshaft removed - no need to remove the box again

thanks for the quick reply! I knew the answer but i had to ask-thats nuts, how can they not have one- i would expect some stupidity from the french or the like but come on Ford lol!

One last question, the oil i removed was of a red/browny colour - a little like dextron however i i replaced with 75w/90 semi oil as recommended by opie oils. Now is the the right oil, as the gearchange is not good when cold, notchy and hard to shift, hence the reason to change it again!

Cheers again

Edited by stef123
Mind your language please

Think they are all poor to change when cold, mine certainly is,,, and my previous fiesta was, and my jag and 528 beemer beforehand, even changed the gear oil on the beemer to no avail. Think some cars are just like that, and there is nothing can be done to resolve it.

Edited by stef123
Mind your language please

• 1 year later...

Just a quickie for people with the gearbox without a drain plug,if you look along the bottom edge facing the wheel there is a hole with no threads which appears to me to be where they planned to but a drain plug but changed their mind.If you're keen,drill this out and tap the hole M12X 1.5 and use a suitable bolt with a flange and sealing washer to seal again.A bit drastic but a lot easier than trying to drain it out of the filler hole.

Just a quickie for people with the gearbox without a drain plug,if you look along the bottom edge facing the wheel there is a hole with no threads which appears to me to be where they planned to but a drain plug but changed their mind.If you're keen,drill this out and tap the hole M12X 1.5 and use a suitable bolt with a flange and sealing washer to seal again.A bit drastic but a lot easier than trying to drain it out of the filler hole.

and mind flush the gearbox out with some cheap oil afterwards..

I have the drain plug on mine, changed the fluid.. its at the bottom end of the gearbox near/under the torque mount. cant remember exactly but its there somewhere and its an allen fitting for the plug

Most focus petrol models don't have a drain plug. Ther is an easy way to drain most of the oil. Remove the plastic gearchange cover at the front. Unclip the cables from the gearchange levers and undo the two 13mm nuts holding the gear change cable bracket. (and the little 8mm one at the front) pull the cable assemly out of the way. Undo the 3 other 8mm screws which hold the plasic box around the gearchange levers and remove the plasic box. Just below the gearbox oil filler plug (8mm hex) you will see a 19mm domed nut. This is the detent retaining plunger. Ensuring you're in neutral remove this and the oil will slowly drain out. About 75% of the oil will come out this way, much more than removing a driveshaft. Obviously try and jack the car up as little as possible or it won't drain sufficiently.It will only come out in a dribble. Remeber to put the new oil in before you put everything back or you won't be able to access the filler! Should only take 20-30 mins all told.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Hello everyone I've just changed my gearbox oil on a ib5 gearbox after a selector gear shift oil seal spilt.had a slow leak IMG_1092.thumb.JPG.f466529681808d975153dda39f90a7c8.JPG

quite an easy job just take your time had to heat up last bit of seal with blow tourch to get it out highlighted in blue  IMG_1100.thumb.JPG.71cc0ccfe8b469fdb99a412faec03ffc.JPG

i removed 1 litre and 750 millitres replaced two litres if that makes sense. you will never get all of your gearbox oil out 

i drained oil from detent plunger highlighted in red filled back up via blue arroIMG_1106.thumb.jpg.b23da32d630689aca7e0df3d9fed0b78.jpg

i used castrol 75w fe.ford specified I use 75w fe for my gearbox they wanted £30 a litre got Castrol on eBay £13 a litre

Ford spec 

so far all good

there are YouTube videos to look at not by me 

my 05 focus had done 98000+Still going strong hope this helps anyone out there

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1