#16 klouise77

klouise77

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Name: Kerry
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8TD
  • Year: 2006

Posted 05 November 2011 - 12:10 PM

I think I have this issue is there a way of testing the oil or how to I check the injectors ?? Ford focus 2006 1.8 td and constant rising oil

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Dturnerwigan

Dturnerwigan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S 1.6 TDCi
  • Year: 2011

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:17 AM

I have had the light in question come on today on my way home from work. It is a 61 reg Fiesta Zetec S TDCi. I bought the car nearing 11,000 miles just 2 weeks ago tomorrow Friday. My dad and I checked when its last service was which was done by Polar Ford on the 26th of January this year at 10914 miles, the garage i bought it from, so it has probably done the additional 1000 miles moving very short journeys being moved around the lot and on test drives in the months before i had bought it. In the time i have had it however it has done 5 journeys down the motorway in 2 weeks, 1 from wilmslow to wigan, then from wigan to liverpool down the m58 and back twice, enough to get the DPF system going im assuming. all other trips have been anywhere from 1.5 mile trips to my work down the road and back, other times have been 3 - 8 miles trips pottering about. In the 2 weeks of having it for this to happen doesnt feel right and after reading all of the above posts im worried about what i have bought into, i love the car, im getting mileage figures i was hoping for on the trips im doing hoping to get nearing roughly between 370 - 400 miles on the 45 quid i put in it when i got it.

im going to check the oil level and see where it is and monitor it, ill be ringing the salesman and see what he has to say about it in the morning.

#18 catch

catch

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Ford Model: MK2.5 Focus 1.6 Titanium Petrol
Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:23 AM

Dave first off .........Welcome to the Forum.

Second off .....don't worry to much as your covered by the Sale of Goods Act. Meaning the said Act trumps any implied restrictions of any warranties give to you at the point of sale.

The car has to be "Fit for Purpose" you have had it two weeks and from what I can glean from your post, a Engine Management Warning light has come on. Are you also saying the oil level on the dip stick is over the maximum fill line?

A correction to an earlier post of mine, some late model Mk2.5 Foci, I've since found out were supplied with the newer CDPF. The ones fitted to the later Volvo S40's feature earlier on in this thread. Best to confirm which DPF your car is fitted with, any Ford Parts desk should be able to give you that information by supplying them with the cars registration number.

Take the car back to Ford Polar, voice your concerns [if the oil is over the max line] and your in fear of oil contamination to the lubricating oil, and thus the potential to cause undue wear to the engine. Given the aforementioned, tell them you require them [at their expense] to drain the oil out, flush the engine, renew the oil and filter [filled to the correct line, not above or below] And that you will be monitoring the oil situation. And if the problem persists, and given your concerns as to potential premature engine wear. You will be returning the car, as is your right under the Sale of Goods Act for a full refund .

#19 Jumper

Jumper

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Name: Ron
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.4 TDI Titanium

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

Hi
New to this site but I found it while doing a search for "Diesel in oil warning light on a Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDI Titanium".
I purchased this car for my wife from Evans Halshaw in Preston and I live in Poole Dorset so there is not much chance of me taking it back to where I bought it. Anyway the car is an 11 plate with 6000 mls on the clock and Evans Halshaw serviced the car prior to us picking the car up in March this year. Tha car has been fine until yesterday when my wife reported to me that the Deisel in oil light was on. True enough the warning lamp was on I dipped the engine only to see that the oil level is about 1/2" above the full mark. Icalled ford assist who sent out the AA man who scratched his head and said "It will have to go into the dealers for them to sort it out" He had never seen this problem before. The car drives fine but I will get my wife to take it into Ford in Poole tomorrow to see what they say. I will get back and let you know the outcome. Incidently my wife is really hacked off, she had her last 1.4 petrol Fiesta for 10 years and it never broke down once.
Jumper

#20 catch

catch

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

Hi Ron welcome to the forum mate,

from your post and posts over on the Volvo Diesel DPF recall thread started May 2010, which I linked to at the beginning of this thread [ now 41 pages long with 31,127 views and 409 replies to date] I have gleaned Ford, Mazda and Volvo now have a Diesel in Engine Oil" contamination warning light.

So the problem is indeed real and ongoing, and think on never mind diesel destroying the lubricating properties of the engine oil. In worst cases, it could lead to self fuelling of the engine.......... a runaway car. Just think wife's out in the car and that happens!

As to your remarks about the wife's petrol variant, I totally agree. I bought a 04 reg S40 2.0 turbo diesel Volvo back in Jan 2008 in total ignorance of the implications of DPF's. And that was before the issue of engine oil contamination came to light, to be fair I never experienced any DPF issues in nine months of ownership, but I moved it on and came back to a petrol Focus.

And that is why I started this thread back in Sept 2010 to warn others. Now I'm no expert on DPF's or the law. But that said, had I at The Point Of Sale been made aware of the potential for issues with DPF's equipped cars, given certain driving styles and conditions. Then I would not have bought the car in the first place. So IMHO I reckon any purchaser themselves not made aware of those issuse could contest that the Contract of Sale was null and void. Obviously I'd run that opinion past your local Trading Standards Office, and or a decent lawyer before I'd go down that path.

Myself, I reckon my next car [ two years down the road when it's purchase price is circa 50% off it's List Price when new] will be the new out this year Focus 1.0 125 Ecoboost .................I'm a patient kind of guy who puts conserving his hard earned cash before the impulse for instant gratification. :D

Ron please keep the board informed as to how you go on at the dealers. As all input adds to the knowledge base that we all use when we hit the web search button on our PC's ...........long may the Internet empower the masses, in the face of Big Moneys attempts to bury the Truth, whatever the issue in question is. :)

#21 Jumper

Jumper

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Name: Ron
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.4 TDI Titanium

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:53 PM

Re my last post, my wife took the Fiesta into English Ford in Poole, (I was working so could not attend) The technician asked my wife what the problem was, she related the storey about the diesel in oil warning light comming on. He asked to see the service book which my wife showed him, he asked why the car was serviced in March rather than in May when it was a year old. My wife explained that as part of the purchase with Evans Halshaw they serviced the car prior to us picking the car up.

They went to the car and the technician stated that "Ford use the diesel in oil warning light as a service light". He then said they have had this problem before and Ford are working on a master key to reset this. He then got into the car switched on the ignition and started to press the pedals, (clutch, brake, accelerator) at which point the fault light went out. he switched the ignition off then on again and the warning light remained out. He stated that if it was a diesel in oil fault, then the fault light would have come back on.

The Tech told my wife that as the car was serviced in March then the service (Fault) light would probably appear again next March but by then they should have this "master reset key" When she asked him about the high oil level he said "dont worry about it"

So there you have it, I have not heard anything like it , has anyone else had this "explanation " from a Ford dealer?

#22 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,228 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:20 PM

To reset the oil service light, use the following procedure:
1. With the ignition in the off position, press the brake and accelerator pedals.
2. For keyed vehicles, turn the key to the accessory position; for pushbutton start vehicles, press the Start/Stop button once quickly. Do not start the engine.
3. Press the accelerator and brake pedals fully for 20 seconds.
4. “Engine Oil Change Due Next Service” and the oil service light will display.
5. Turn the vehicle off. The message and lights will be cleared.

#23 TeddyR

TeddyR

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Name: Edward
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titainium 1.6TDci

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:14 PM

I have had the same problem as Ron. The service was carried out 4 weeks early. After problems with the local Ford agent had not drained the oil fully using the sump plug and had not replaced the filter element which left the black and contaminated. I replace the oil and filter myself a week later with Ford specified oil a week later. Problem was accepted by the main dealer and gave credit for oil and filter. Yesterday 15 July Oil contamination light came on. Checked oil level it is still clear and the same level it was after the oil change (5 marks below max.)

I will try Clive’s reset procedure and report back.

Thanks for the infornation.

#24 TeddyR

TeddyR

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Name: Edward
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titainium 1.6TDci

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

Success: I tried Clive’s procedure to reset oil service message and oil warning light. The message and light have now disappeared and have not returned thanks Clive.

However, my car is key operated and I had to make a slight change to the procedure on Item 2. I had to turn the ignition key to the “ON” position not the “ACCESSORY” position to make the procedure work. Suggest procedure for Key Ignition 1.6 TDci car is:-

1. With ignition key in off position, press brake and accelerator pedles and hold down.

2. Turn ignition key to “ON” position but do not start.

3. Message “Engine oil change due next service” and “Oil Service” light will display then then extinguish after 20 seconds.

4. Wait 5 seconds then turn off ignition. The warning lights will be cleared.

Thanks again for the advice it raises some questions the Message and Oil Light have 2 functions. They warn of fuel in the oil and the 12 month service has not been carried out.

My questions are:-

1. If the fuel is contaminated, do both the message and the oil light come on together or just the oil contamination light?

2. Should the main dealer reset the message and oil light when they carry out the annual service if carried out early?

3. Should the main dealer upgrade the Power Control Module (PCM) software to the latest issue when they carry out the annual service?

5. Why is the resetting procedure not in the hand book or given in the Haynes owner’s manual?

6. The oil contamination sensor is very cleaver bit of kit. How does it work? Where is it located?

#25 Junzo

Junzo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk 7 Fiesta Zetec S 1.6 TDCI

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:57 AM

Hi folks, interesting reading. I just had the contamination light come on yesterday. I checked the oil level (the drive is not 100% level) and it was reading over max fill. So I parked it on the level and will check it again after work.

I've got the 1.6 tdci in the mk7 Fiesta and from new for about a year there was no problem. It had an oil change about a month ago and now this. So I'll maybe try the reset procedure before taking it to a Ford garage to see what they say. Will keep you updated.

#26 catch

catch

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:26 AM

welcome to the forum,

now regards

It had an oil change about a month ago and now this.

all I will say is this.................. it's quite common for mechanics to overfill fluids when renewing same.................see this thread

Hence it is always recommended that you check same on reciept of the vehicle.

Yes I know you pay a Dealer circa £70/80 an hour to do the job properly. But the reality as always in life is .................taking the cynical view, you will be proved right nine times out of ten . :rolleyes:

#27 Junzo

Junzo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk 7 Fiesta Zetec S 1.6 TDCI

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

Oil checked on a level surface and it's near max. Also I reset the warning lights and it's not come back on again...yet...so...problem solved .... ha. Guess we'll see.

#28 johncherokee

johncherokee

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Ford Model: Mondeo TDCi 2002

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:17 PM

Hi, I've just joined the forum, having just bought a Mondeo TDCi 2002. How can you tell if my car has a Diesel Particulate Filter?

#29 Flashblade

Flashblade

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford FOcus TDCI 06 plate

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

Hi. Only just found this thread (and so joinedthe forum!) due to the problems I've had recently. The story starts last September when I had to have a new Turbo fitted (broke as starved of lubrication - I had let the oil get to sludgy :( ). Then in December I had a fuel filter failure. Just mentioning these things as not sure if related to the current issue:

Last Saturday I had a warning light come on during a short journey and car went into limp home mode. AA diags said the DPF was blocked and to take it to a garage as they could regenerate it. The AA man also noted oil level was very high. As it was changed twice around the turbo failure period I presumed it had just been over filled. Anyway, local garage forced a regeneration a few days ago and cleared the warning light in doing so. Why the DPF didn't clear automatically I have no idea as I regularly do longer motorway journeys....I presume there is a fair change it will happen again if the auto-process hasn't been working.

The garage also took some oil out (2 litres so back to Max as it were) and said they would be very surprised if they overfilled it last time (beusing them for years and they are very reliable and trustworthy). They did mention it could be leaking diesel, nut unlikely, and made no relation to the DPF issue - which I have now read about! Two days later, I have checked the oiil and it has risen again - 5mm or so above the max line. What I do not know as I write this is if they took oil out before they did the regeneration, as reading above, logic says the diluted oil level will increase due to the regeneration process.

Maybe this is of help to people - any observations or suggestions welcomed! I think the next step is to lower the oil amount to max again and see if it rises again, now it is running "normally" again. I read above that using supermarket fuel could "irritate" this condition (which I use). Any views on that? Should I stick to a better known brand - any suggestions?

Thanks for your time! By the way, I have 75k on this car and owned for 4 years with very few issues!

Oh, and forgot to mention. Pre new Turbo, I was getting 55/65 mpg motorway consumption. Since new turbo, that came down to under 55 and now - since DPF problem - I am getting 45 mpg on same motorway journey! Painful!

#30 Spanner 680

Spanner 680

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Mondeo 2.0 tdci
  • Year: 2009

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:29 PM

Hello chaps just found this thread and found it most interesting, I'm a mobile tech and have recently been given a mondeo 2.0 Tdci 2009 with this engine oil/fuel problem.

My initial thoughts were to test diesel pump as this is a common problem amongst higher mileage engines, this was found to be ok. The vehicle is doing around 21 mls to the gallon and filling the sump rapidly,I have found myself consulting the web and forums more and more in recent years as the problems i'm facing are the more peculiar problems but ones that i feel are becoming more common. I would like to thank everyone who has had an input to this thread as it's information is invaluable and i'm now a lot clearer as far as the job in hand is concerned.I'm now going to e-mail the chap who was looking to take mazda to court and see what his outcome was (If he is still on his mazda campaign).

My next quest is to find a fix does anyone know if Ford have a software update to this effect??.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users