Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Disable Esp On 5Dr Zetec 1.6 Tdci

DumboBattyhead

Hi

Well I've finally fitted the ESP switch, though I do have one small niggle after the job was completed. The switch works ok and displays a warning in the speedo and MFD displays when you turn it off. My thanks go to everyone who contributed to this thread and, in particular DumboBattyhead, who gave me further info.

After I refitted all of the trim, I'm finding that the silver trim cover below the radio (hidden compartment) does not snap shut and sticks out proud of the bottom of the radio trim and is very noticeable - it was flush before removal. The small clip that goes through the hole at the top centre, does not fully engage and when you push it in, it just moves outwards again.

I've seen some thread about using this concealed space and also some members used 'magnetic tape' to keep it closed and flush. Was it necessary to remove the small clip on the lid when magnetic tape was used and what uses have members found for space?

Regards, BHeart

Hi

Well I've finally fitted the ESP switch, though I do have one small niggle after the job was completed. The switch works ok and displays a warning in the speedo and MFD displays when you turn it off. My thanks go to everyone who contributed to this thread and, in particular DumboBattyhead, who gave me further info.

After I refitted all of the trim, I'm finding that the silver trim cover below the radio (hidden compartment) does not snap shut and sticks out proud of the bottom of the radio trim and is very noticeable - it was flush before removal. The small clip that goes through the hole at the top centre, does not fully engage and when you push it in, it just moves outwards again.

I've seen some thread about using this concealed space and also some members used 'magnetic tape' to keep it closed and flush. Was it necessary to remove the small clip on the lid when magnetic tape was used and what uses have members found for space?

Regards, BHeart

How long it took?

How long it took?

Hi Tato

Once I had removed the gear stick trim which was easy, I then started to pull off the aircon/controls trim and i started at the bottom but after pulling it away from the bottom two clips, the silver trim kept pulling away from the little cubby hole below the card holder and I was worried that the vertical silver narrow parts would just break, so I pushed the trim back in again and then went to the top and removed the silver lid below the radio (hidden compartment)and that was easy. I just used a knife covered with a soft dry cloth and gently levered it from either side of the centre.

Once I had done this, I was then able to remove the aircon controls trim starting at the top (the location of the clips are clearly marked in the link provided) and I again used a covered flat eating knife to gently lever off each side and worked my way down to the cubby hole below the card holder and this time, I had no problems.

If you look at the link from the German forum (page 5), you can clearly see where the clips are and what order to remove the trim.

http://www.fiesta-ka-forum.de/fiesta-mk7-57/esp-57360/

Start by removing the silver lid below the radio, then remove the gear stick trim and pull it up (but not off) over the gear stick and lay it to one side. Then start removing the aircon controls trim from the top and, as stated, I used a flat bladed eating knife covered with a soft thin cloth. Insert the knife at each point and gently prise the trim out on top, each side and then move down to the middle and finally to the bottom and you can then pull away the trim but don't remove the cable that's attached to the bottom half of it - there is no need to.

It took about 20 minutes Tato.

I hope this helps when you get around to fitting you switch.

BHeart

• Like 1

out of curiosity, how would fitting an ESP Off switch affect:

- warranty

- insurance?

would it need declaring?

- warranty

- insurance?

would it need declaring?

Hi orcomma

That's a good question which I think has been asked before and, to be honest, I'm not actually sure myself but I'm sure that other owner's have looked into this.

From a personal point of view, it's not as if we have fitted a larger exhaust or played around with the suspension etc, which may present issues with the warranty or insurance. The ESP mod is just the addition of a switch that enables the owner to turn on and off ESP when the owner requires it, so I don't really see why there should be a problem and, it's a 'mod' that can easily be removed if required.

BHeart

Hi

Pleased to help :D

I didn't have that problem. Is the small T-shaped clip on the cover still in line or did it twist to one side so it no longer clips in place?

- warranty

- insurance?

would it need declaring?

All my insurance compant asked was "are there any performance enhancements fitted"? So I'm not going to declare mine.

Hi Tato

Once I had removed the gear stick trim which was easy, I then started to pull off the aircon/controls trim and i started at the bottom but after pulling it away from the bottom two clips, the silver trim kept pulling away from the little cubby hole below the card holder and I was worried that the vertical silver narrow parts would just break, so I pushed the trim back in again and then went to the top and removed the silver lid below the radio (hidden compartment)and that was easy. I just used a knife covered with a soft dry cloth and gently levered it from either side of the centre.

Once I had done this, I was then able to remove the aircon controls trim starting at the top (the location of the clips are clearly marked in the link provided) and I again used a covered flat eating knife to gently lever off each side and worked my way down to the cubby hole below the card holder and this time, I had no problems.

If you look at the link from the German forum (page 5), you can clearly see where the clips are and what order to remove the trim.

http://www.fiesta-ka-forum.de/fiesta-mk7-57/esp-57360/

Start by removing the silver lid below the radio, then remove the gear stick trim and pull it up (but not off) over the gear stick and lay it to one side. Then start removing the aircon controls trim from the top and, as stated, I used a flat bladed eating knife covered with a soft thin cloth. Insert the knife at each point and gently prise the trim out on top, each side and then move down to the middle and finally to the bottom and you can then pull away the trim but don't remove the cable that's attached to the bottom half of it - there is no need to.

It took about 20 minutes Tato.

I hope this helps when you get around to fitting you switch.

BHeart

Thank you for the detailed explanation BHeart!

Off topic Mark, is this your second Fiesta?

Yes, Titainum 27/11/08-13/01/11

Zetec S 13/01/11 - Present

Well if you don't count the 06 Zetec and 03 Zetec!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

Just to let you know. I called up fordonlineparts today who just straight away allowed me to purchase this button. Cost me £34.00 with delivery. Waiting for it to arrive for brand new ford Fiesta Titanium

Hello Everyone,

Just to let you know. I called up fordonlineparts today who just straight away allowed me to purchase this button. Cost me £34.00 with delivery. Waiting for it to arrive for brand new ford Fiesta Titanium

Apparently, if you have a Titanium, Ford list the swtch as an option. If you have a Zetec (like myself), the Ford system does not list the switch as an option even though the switch fits and all the wiring & software is there for the switch to work.

Go figure!

• 2 weeks later...

- warranty

- insurance?

would it need declaring?

I have a Focus Tit and followed this thread from the start, as i too wanted an ESP off, i mananged to get the Focus switch like on the ST quiet easily from Ford.

Unfortunatly the Focus wiring was not "live" . So when i got around to going to the dealer , after a bit of them not too sure, it was booked in this morning.11/08/11

To cut along story short it (was) possible to activate the switch via the ABS ECU not the main ECU.

BUT !

In a direct phone call through the dealership to Ford UK , they assured the Dealer that activating the addon switch was Illegal and via new laws around modifying factory installed safety systems would indeed invalidate Insurance policy's , regardless of also being already able to de-activate the switch via the stalk trip computer, which was my first reply to the Ford UK Tech guy.

So the dealer kindly denied my request to activate the switch on my Focus.

All i'm saying to you guys is check it out properly , it may be different with Fiesta wiring already "live" prior to inserting the switch.

As for warranty , i never asked that question.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Focus Tit and followed this thread from the start, as i too wanted an ESP off, i mananged to get the Focus switch like on the ST quiet easily from Ford.

Unfortunatly the Focus wiring was not "live" . So when i got around to going to the dealer , after a bit of them not too sure, it was booked in this morning.11/08/11

To cut along story short it (was) possible to activate the switch via the ABS ECU not the main ECU.

BUT !

In a direct phone call through the dealership to Ford UK , they assured the Dealer that activating the addon switch was Illegal and via new laws around modifying factory installed safety systems would indeed invalidate Insurance policy's , regardless of also being already able to de-activate the switch via the stalk trip computer, which was my first reply to the Ford UK Tech guy.

So the dealer kindly denied my request to activate the switch on my Focus.

All i'm saying to you guys is check it out properly , it may be different with Fiesta wiring already "live" prior to inserting the switch.

As for warranty , i never asked that question.

This a very good point and I am so grateful that the wiring in my car was live or I would not have fitted the ESP+TC off switch.

It amazes me that even though my Fiesta manual agrees with many other car manuals that Traction Control is bad in snow & ice to such a degree that they (IMHO sensibly) recommend that it is turned off, they do not make it easy for some cars like the Fiesta Zetec, and effectively illegal on other cars such as the Focus.

You got a Titanium! It's supposed to have bells, whistles, safety features and "please let me use as much throttle as I want in severely icy conditions so I can get home" features. Am I missing something here because I would have thought Ford would want to avoid their cars being stuck in snow & ice.

This a very good point and I am so grateful that the wiring in my car was live or I would not have fitted the ESP+TC off switch.

It amazes me that even though my Fiesta manual agrees with many other car manuals that Traction Control is bad in snow & ice to such a degree that they (IMHO sensibly) recommend that it is turned off, they do not make it easy for some cars like the Fiesta Zetec, and effectively illegal on other cars such as the Focus.

You got a Titanium! It's supposed to have bells, whistles, safety features and "please let me use as much throttle as I want in severely icy conditions so I can get home" features. Am I missing something here because I would have thought Ford would want to avoid their cars being stuck in snow & ice.

Could somebody help me out with sending one new switch by post to me?

Hi

I've looked over the relevant pages and can't find this in the Fiesta manual, so where in the manual does it say that 'traction control' is bad in 'ice and snow'?

Regards

Hi

I've looked over the relevant pages and can't find this in the Fiesta manual, so where in the manual does it say that 'traction control' is bad in 'ice and snow'?

Regards

I've just looked through a 2008 PDF version of the UK manual and I admit I can't find anything about TC being switched off. However I have a US 2011 manual 3rd printing that clearly states on page 242 that if the car is stuck in snow switching off the "Advance Trac" system may help. From what I have heard from owners of cars who are able to turn off Traction Control, it can make the difference between getting home and being stuck.

It's not that TC is dangerous, but (IMHO) in certain conditions it can stop a good driver being able to drive!

PM me with your email if you want me to send you a copy of the US manual. :-)

I can turn off ESP , Via the Stork control on the trip computer , but you have to scroll through the menu , i wanted the "quick" switch like on the Focus ST.

Reading other post's including Cruise Control on a FES . it seems Ford are reluctant to aid anyone in switching on these extra's.I also think most of these dealers have very little knowledge regarding the ECU's and mainly only know how to upload and reset them.

I can turn off ESP , Via the Stork control on the trip computer , but you have to scroll through the menu , i wanted the "quick" switch like on the Focus ST.

Reading other post's including Cruise Control on a FES . it seems Ford are reluctant to aid anyone in switching on these extra's.I also think most of these dealers have very little knowledge regarding the ECU's and mainly only know how to upload and reset them.

I agree with Pree, my dealer didn’t even know it was possible to fit a ST spoiler on the standard focus,

they couldn’t help me with activating the foot well lights neither, and i would also like to get a switch for the ESP fitted rather than going through the trip computer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Ok I am a little confused, I have a 59 plate Titanium with ESP, can I fit one of these switches?

Hi Guys

Ok I am a little confused, I have a 59 plate Titanium with ESP, can I fit one of these switches?

If the wiring is behind the blanking plate, yes.

One more related comment......

Although a local Ford dealer refused to even sell me an ESP off switch, when I got a PAD switch fitted, another local Ford dealer had no problems with supplying me with an ESP switch + Passenger Airbag Deactivation warning light assembly. Not exactly a consistent approach but at least I got what I really wanted. :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok after a little blood sweat and tears I managed to get down to the cable, no one ever mentions that the car requires a blood sacrifice from the back of my thumb before the panel comes off.

The cable is there, is there any way of seeing if this is active, or do i just order the switch and see?

also has any other titanium owners done this?

If only i could read German.

if your trying to view a web page that is in german go to the page, right click on your mouse and then left click on open Translate with bing this will reopen the page in english.

Ok after a little blood sweat and tears I managed to get down to the cable, no one ever mentions that the car requires a blood sacrifice from the back of my thumb before the panel comes off.

The cable is there, is there any way of seeing if this is active, or do i just order the switch and see?

also has any other titanium owners done this?

I read a few forums with people doing this successfully - it's a £30 gamble but I'm sure you could sell it if it didn't work.

I read a few forums with people doing this successfully - it's a £30 gamble but I'm sure you could sell it if it didn't work.

Ok here is an update, I ordered the part on Monday with 3-5 days delivery, it arrived 10am Tuesday, can't beat that.

Fitting took seconds as i had left the cable hanging out.

The button lights up when press and the ESP light comes on, on the dash, so I am hailing this a sucess.

also my finger is healing nicely.

So for all you 2009 Titanium drivers who had ESP fitted at the factory, i can answer Yes the cable is there and yes it does work, well on mine anyway.

Just need to work out what size steel wheel and snow tyres I need and I will be set for the winter.

Thanks to everyone who has posted on how to do this, it was the ESP in the winter that spoiled a great car.

Ok here is an update, I ordered the part on Monday with 3-5 days delivery, it arrived 10am Tuesday, can't beat that.

Fitting took seconds as i had left the cable hanging out.

The button lights up when press and the ESP light comes on, on the dash, so I am hailing this a sucess.

also my finger is healing nicely.

So for all you 2009 Titanium drivers who had ESP fitted at the factory, i can answer Yes the cable is there and yes it does work, well on mine anyway.

Just need to work out what size steel wheel and snow tyres I need and I will be set for the winter.

Thanks to everyone who has posted on how to do this, it was the ESP in the winter that spoiled a great car.

where did you order it from? my local dealer is useless and not willing to help look for it