What Does This Warning Light Mean?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 Zetec 1.8 TDCI (Climate)
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:00 PM

ford will have the proper diagnosis tools to scan your car but typical garages have scanners that will get codes if logged on the ECU.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Evolve

Evolve

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Ford Model: 2006 Focus 1.6tdci

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:40 PM

When mine came on it was glow plugs and glow plug relay

Mine is still coming on every once in a while. Had it scanned properly yesterday and it said the same thing, glow plugs or glow plug relay. But I'm pretty sure I have a turbo leak somewhere as it's making a 'whooshing' sound under acceleration which sounds like it's coming from on top/in front of the dash. Mechanic said this could be causing the warning light. Also it's chucking out a bit more smoke than usual (it's a diesel), so would this mean it's burning more fuel? And would this too indicate a turbo leak?

Are there any 'usual suspect' areas where the turbo system develops leaks? It's a 1.6tdci

#18 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 Zetec 1.8 TDCI (Climate)
Contributor

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

check the thick rubber air intake tube. mine had a split on the inside of the 90 degree bend, couldnt visually see it but when pushed my finger went straight in. made a sound like the blowers were coming on when giving some throttle.

#19 Evolve

Evolve

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Ford Model: 2006 Focus 1.6tdci

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:59 PM

check the thick rubber air intake tube. mine had a split on the inside of the 90 degree bend, couldnt visually see it but when pushed my finger went straight in. made a sound like the blowers were coming on when giving some throttle.

Thanks mate, I'll give that a look in the morning.

#20 Drich290195

Drich290195

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:58 PM

I had to have the glow plugs and glow plug relay changed. Had just bought mine so was done for free I would try glow plugs first before the relay though mate cheapest option

#21 gidrae

gidrae

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: 1.8 TDCI

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

Mine is still coming on every once in a while. Had it scanned properly yesterday and it said the same thing, glow plugs or glow plug relay. But I'm pretty sure I have a turbo leak somewhere as it's making a 'whooshing' sound under acceleration which sounds like it's coming from on top/in front of the dash. Mechanic said this could be causing the warning light. Also it's chucking out a bit more smoke than usual (it's a diesel), so would this mean it's burning more fuel? And would this too indicate a turbo leak?

Are there any 'usual suspect' areas where the turbo system develops leaks? It's a 1.6tdci

That wooshing when accelerating sounds like an issue I had recently, which turned out to be the manifold gasket. Was fairly cheap to fix that.

#22 Cgull2210

Cgull2210

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6TDCi

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

I have had the same problem with my 1.6TDCi. I was told by a mechanic that my DPF needed topping up, so I took it to the nearest Ford garage (Arnold Clark). Diagnostics cost £99, to top up the DPF a further £192, but the light didn't go off. They're now telling me it needs new glow plugs, which will be £163 for parts alone and they say it will be a BIG job (meaning lots more for labour!). Is this excessive?

#23 Andy H Dibley

Andy H Dibley

Feet Under The Table

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Name: Andy
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2008

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

I have had the same problem with my 1.6TDCi. I was told by a mechanic that my DPF needed topping up, so I took it to the nearest Ford garage (Arnold Clark). Diagnostics cost £99, to top up the DPF a further £192, but the light didn't go off. They're now telling me it needs new glow plugs, which will be £163 for parts alone and they say it will be a BIG job (meaning lots more for labour!). Is this excessive?

Sounds like they were stabbing the dark if I'm honest. I'd be a bit miffed and take it somewhere else for a second opinion.

Don't know what the new diesels look like, but on my old 1.8 TD Glow plugs was an hour and half max! Also, £163 for glow plugs?! They're about £15 a plug roughly.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users