Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,887 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:07 AM

passive regen is when the exhaust gets hot enough and automaticly activates the regen process like on a motorway

active is when the soot level gets too high and the ecu advances the timing to increase exhaust temperature however as soon as you stop start slow down this process is interupted and youl get the mil light.

if you have 6 gears the problems worse as the revs are too low harsh driving is required an italian tune up so to speak

the aa has stated that even cars doing motorway miles regularly are failing and in there words if you do less than 12k a year forget a diesel the higher purchase price added to the high cost of diesel coupled with the cost of eloys fluid etc etc the diesel works out dearer than a petrol wiping out the tax and mpg savings.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#32 NorthSussex

NorthSussex

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Name: Stormin
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Petrol manual
  • Year: 2009

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

passive regen is when the exhaust gets hot enough and automaticly activates the regen process like on a motorway

active is when the soot level gets too high and the ecu advances the timing to increase exhaust temperature however as soon as you stop start slow down this process is interupted and youl get the mil light.

if you have 6 gears the problems worse as the revs are too low harsh driving is required an italian tune up so to speak

the aa has stated that even cars doing motorway miles regularly are failing and in there words if you do less than 12k a year forget a diesel the higher purchase price added to the high cost of diesel coupled with the cost of eloys fluid etc etc the diesel works out dearer than a petrol wiping out the tax and mpg savings.

Nice explanation. Something we should all keep in mind when we next change our car.

#33 mitch84

mitch84

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Name: steve
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium mk2.5
  • Year: 2010

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

I see , so if all going well and the dpf works as it should and the driver does a bit of motorway driving at least once or twice a month there should be no need for the car to do a active regeneration.

also there clearly is a problem with them if they are failing for people who do a lot of motorway driving , surely that calls for a recall?

thanks arthur

#34 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,887 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

there wont be any recalls the cost for one would bankrupt car companies and second its not the companies who make the dpf or want to implement it its the eu who made that decision.no dpf has a life cycle attatched to it they can fail at any time motorway driving or not and the manufacturers can do nothing about it it is used if it failed within 6 months maybe they would replace it ,the fact is its a waste of money for you guys who own diesels its a hassle and its flawed technology but the eu want it so the manufacturers have no choice. this is the reason companies are now moving away from diesel and making small turbo charged engines like fords 1.0litre ecoboost engine smaller more economical with the same power as the larger 1.6 with cheaper tax etc etc as diesels are just a nightmare nissan for example have taken a huge hit with dpf issues as have every make.

dpf removal companies are popping up everywhere but be carefull as theres good ones and bad ones,some do the job right some dont and the law is still a very grey area around the removal of them and its said the mot will change to check the dpf is in place and these companies will laugh at the end of the day they did what you asked them to do they didnt force you or say you have to so youre liable not them

#35 jg321

jg321

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Name: Jon
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk 2.5 1.6 TDCi Zetec
  • Year: 2008

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:32 PM

I was under the impression that the car will do an active regeneration anyway regardless of the soot loading, every 500 miles or so. The behaviour of my car would certainly suggest that, e.g. even after a 1 hour motorway drive at 2,500+ RPM, the following day, on a short journey on a cold day, the engine temp will rise quickly and the engine fan will come on, and stay on for a few mins after the engine is turned off.

Always seems to do this around the same mileage for me too, when in other very similar circumstances (i.e. motorway journey before, same short journey following day, and no high temp/fan) everything seems 'normal'.

I could well be wrong on this. I think a lack of understanding is a big issue with these modern diesels, and I honestly believe that if the circumstances are right, they won't be a problem (until the 75k service of course!).

#36 mitch84

mitch84

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Name: steve
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium mk2.5
  • Year: 2010

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

Hi Guys

I arrived at work today after roughly a 12 mile trip on minor roads with the odd traffic lights and roundabouts mainly driving at 30mph -40mph , when I turned my engine off I could here my engine fans running , I'm guessing this was an Active regeneration but how would I know if it completed or not, do the fans indicate the regen has completed?

Anyway as I was unsure and not having done a long run for a while I decided to head home on the motorway , driving at 70mph and about 2200revs , I'm hoping this was enough to start a passive regen to burn off any soot , but I could not tell.

cheers

Mitch

#37 ajt

ajt

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Name: Alan
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec Climate 5dr TDCi 1.6
  • Year: 2007

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

the law is still a very grey area around the removal of them and its said the mot will change to check the dpf is in place

and off you go again!

IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO REMOVE A DPF (no grey area), an MOT will fail if to much soot is coming out the back, not because the DPF has been removed. Check the following link

http://www.dyno-tuni...ovalFailMOT.htm

As for your clairvoyance regarding "its said" (yeah by you) pending changes to the MOT please please please please post a link to some where that verifies that statement. If you can't could you at least stop repeating it.

#38 STEADS

STEADS

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • Name: NEIL
  • Ford Model: FOCUS 1.8 TDCI TITANIUM AND 2.0 TDCI
  • Year: 2009

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

Well within the next couple of weeks i should be able to give you all feedback on having the dpf removed from the the ecu and just an empty dpf box fitted as i,ve just received mine back today from ecuflash got a few more jobs to do on car before i can run it but with just the empty box before ecu was done it would bring up dpf codes had it idleing on and off all day and no codes smoke wise as in black smoke i,d say less on blipping it but like i say will keep you all informed over the coming weeks lets put this to bed once and for all it either works or it dont .and if it does could save yers hundreds .

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users