ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,616 posts
  • Name: Nathan
  • Ford Model: Molten Orange Fiesta ST-2
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

I'm probably being stupid, but can I just use the volume buttons to control it? Rather then buying the 2nd set of buttons.

You will need the trim, buttons and cables from a Titanium steering wheel.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 GJC

GJC

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Name: Gavin
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Econetic
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:24 PM

Ok, so I had a look and I have the 2 wires that mean I probably have all the things for cruise control. I'm probably being stupid, but can I just use the volume buttons to control it? Rather then buying the 2nd set of buttons.

Also i'm down on the south coast, by Portsmouth, any one with a IDS box near is to me??

Possibly by re-wiring the plug over yes, bit it mayu be a bit hit and miss to work out out and hard to explain when you sell the car on....

#18 Jack Osman

Jack Osman

• Members via FB
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Name: Jack
  • Ford Model: Fiesta MK7 Sport Van 95hp.

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

Possibly by re-wiring the plug over yes, bit it mayu be a bit hit and miss to work out out and hard to explain when you sell the car on....

Yeah thats what i mean, by re-wiring the volume buttons to work the Cruise Control. As i never use them to change the volume anyway.

I have no idea where the wire go's though. Is there a Cruise Control plug with no buttons attached to it hiding somewhere? Even if I did get new buttons i can't see where to plug them into...

Any one got any pic's of fitting the buttons?

#19 GJC

GJC

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Contributor

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

Yeah thats what i mean, by re-wiring the volume buttons to work the Cruise Control. As i never use them to change the volume anyway.

I have no idea where the wire go's though. Is there a Cruise Control plug with no buttons attached to it hiding somewhere? Even if I did get new buttons i can't see where to plug them into...

Any one got any pic's of fitting the buttons?

Didn't take any photos but it depends how it works as to if simply swapping them will work. Some remotes work by closing circuits, others by sending a set resistance down the wire on a button press so it may or may not work.

Inside the steering column is a plug with xx wires on, this goes to a lead that is either a stright one to the audio side or a Y lead with some going to the Audio, and some to the Cruise side. I may have the audio one at home somewhere to photo later) there is a common ground and wires that split and go to the Audio and the Cruise side. You'd need to remove the pings from the "audio" side of the plug and plug them back into the "cruise" side of the plug.

To be honest I think the two controls look better as it makes the wheel not look lopsided.

This probably makes more sense when I put a photo up..

#20 Jack Osman

Jack Osman

• Members via FB
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

Didn't take any photos but it depends how it works as to if simply swapping them will work. Some remotes work by closing circuits, others by sending a set resistance down the wire on a button press so it may or may not work.

Inside the steering column is a plug with xx wires on, this goes to a lead that is either a stright one to the audio side or a Y lead with some going to the Audio, and some to the Cruise side. I may have the audio one at home somewhere to photo later) there is a common ground and wires that split and go to the Audio and the Cruise side. You'd need to remove the pings from the "audio" side of the plug and plug them back into the "cruise" side of the plug.

To be honest I think the two controls look better as it makes the wheel not look lopsided.

This probably makes more sense when I put a photo up..

Hmm ok I think I get what you mean, but a photo would help so i await that lol.

I'm no expert but i can't see why it wouldn't work so it's worth a try. And yes i think the 2 sets of buttons look better, but I'm just being tight and don't want to pay out for a new wheel! :P.

The other thing is that even when I get that bit done I still need someone to activate it.... iNath (if he would do it for me) is a 3 hour drive away!

#21 GJC

GJC

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Contributor

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

Hmm ok I think I get what you mean, but a photo would help so i await that lol.

As you asked nicely The insert with just the Audio lead Posted Image
king the
The plug that goes to the steering colum showing the spaces that would have the cruise wires, sorry I'm not takin the steering wheel apart to show you the cruise wiring Posted Image

Finally the reverse of the volume controls, it looks like they are sperate switches rather than a resistance that changes depending on the button pressed. Posted Image

#22 iNath

iNath

ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,616 posts
Contributor

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

A 2nd hand Titanium steering wheel will cost you £50-£80 and at least you know it should work - much less hassle!

#23 b1g_dav3

b1g_dav3

Ford Enthusiast

• 2,519 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
Contributor

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:29 PM

How much would a garage charge to activate the cruise, and how many places have the required equipment?

#24 iNath

iNath

ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,616 posts
Contributor

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

How much would a garage charge to activate the cruise, and how many places have the required equipment?

Every Ford garage in the land will have the equipment - though I bet they will all refuse.
A select number of independent mechanics will also have it - but the rates will vary.
Sorry it doesn't really answer your question, but it's a "how long is a piece of string" type question...

#25 b1g_dav3

b1g_dav3

Ford Enthusiast

• 2,519 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
Contributor

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

I just don't want to buy a wheel, then end up not being able to find anyone with the IDS -.- lol

#26 Jack Osman

Jack Osman

• Members via FB
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:57 PM

Ahhh thats a massive help thanks! I see what your on about now.

Im sure i could just move the wires around so that its connected up, but i see what you mean about it being a bit hit and miss. Might be hard to work out what go's where.

I guess just buying on is much less hassle though. Just activating it is the problem! ;P

#27 Jack Osman

Jack Osman

• Members via FB
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:53 PM

I just don't want to buy a wheel, then end up not being able to find anyone with the IDS -.- lol

This is the problem I have. Dose no one know of someone in the South that can do it??

#28 ken

ken

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Ford Model: 2010 Fiesta Zetec S

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:08 PM

well if anyone wants a steering wheel then i have one...

Turns out my car doesnt have the required wiring :-( so i cant do this mod. (should have checked before i bought one Doh!)

£80 delivered (which is exactly what i paid), send me a PM if you want it.

#29 GJC

GJC

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Contributor

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

This is the problem I have. Dose no one know of someone in the South that can do it??

Well it's 3 1/2 hours Drive from Lancaster and 2 ish from Portsmouth, so consider it a Road trip to Sunny Milton Keynes.

Red Bull Racing is there, but probably won't let you in.. Bletchly Park (Station X) is nearby and of course it has the Concrete Cows (and the Concrete Cow brewery) and erm...I'm at a loss to think what else to say about Milton Keynes, Maybe Nathan can think of something better...

Oh and I can't guarantee sun either.....

#30 jmbrown91

jmbrown91

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Zetec S 1.0 EcoBoost

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

Not exactly much in MK unless you like to go indoor snowboarding...I'm sure if you ask nath nicely you can come to some sort of agreement to meet halfway or something

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users