Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Name: Craig
  • Ford Model: Mk3 Mondeo Ghia, 2.0l
  • Year: 2006

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:00 PM

If you are able to save it is definitely the way to do it :)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 cragger89

cragger89

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Name: Craig
  • Ford Model: Mk3 Mondeo Ghia, 2.0l

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

Oh, regular oil/filter changes always go a long way to keep a car running well, too.

#18 mkelbie

mkelbie

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Ford Model: 2007 Focus 1.8 TDCI Titanium

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

My car is having its 3rd service this year but its only going to just be an oil change but its well looked after :)

Timing fords say 125K so I will start to look into it at the 100K mark and change the tensioner too at the same time. The DMF I will just pray it lasts me but I will be happy to pay around 600 for both items to be done and knowing all my car needs than for another 40K+ is servicing

#19 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,113 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

Its recommended by fleet buyers and many experts to do a timing belt kit at 80k to be on the safe side as always its up to the owner but ive heard of the tensioner going at 90k from what ive found out the tensioner is a sealed part pre filled with bearing grease and behind the timing cover so no cool air gets to it how long it lasts is dependant on the temperature its operating at as well as distance so lots of driving in hot temps speeds up how quickly it can go and its a non checkable item so if a dealer says they checked it as they do then they havent

#20 mkelbie

mkelbie

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Ford Model: 2007 Focus 1.8 TDCI Titanium

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

mine is now 87K... Annoys me how they can set a guide off 125K/10years and it need doing at 80K as really the 125K should be early to account of lateness. VOSA should penalise them for it and they should be told to set guides of 80K if it requires it much sooner. Best look into getting mine done soon then

#21 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,113 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

Actually they recommend the belt at that mileage not the tensioner thats the trick if it was to go and take out the belt ford wouldnt honour the repair as the tensioner is not a warranty part only the belt is gauranteed to do the 125k miles not the tensioner and since there are factors as i said that accelerate how quickly it can wear down its impossible to recommend when to change it i know a regular serviced 2009 mondeo tdci that gad it go at 95k and ford wouldnt honour the repair in truth they couldnt give a sxxt dealers were the same im afraid

Almost every snapped belt or belt thats jumped ive ever seen was down to a failed tensioner and not just the belt on its own thats why it should get a timing kit and not just a belt many vws suffer from the same issue the tensioner fails early google ford timing belt and see how many have went early from focis to mondoes

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users