Whizzle Dizzle

• FOC Supporters
  • 250 posts
  • Name: Warren
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8TDCI Zetec
  • Year: 2008

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:51 AM

Hey All,

Im wanting to this myself and i have check and i have a hole in the footwell but no holder and i couldnt see any cables straight away.

What do i need? just some cable and the 5w5 bulb holder or could i get some SMD's strips to stick down there?

Also when wireing to the courtesy light will the footwell lighting stay on or just when the doors are open?

Ima complete noob with electrics lol even if i did do part of an apprenticship in it lol :P

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 giwrgos_ath

giwrgos_ath

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Name: George
  • Ford Model: Focus MK2.5
  • Year: 2010

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

Depending on the expected result, you have many options on the lights and the holders. You could either get 5w5 holders and install them in the wholes you have, or get led strips and position them underneath those wholes. The second option will give you more light, although i am more than happy with 5w5 holders.

In terms of wiring, you need some cable (around 4-5 meters i think) which you can run from the side of the windscreen, up to the courtesy light. That one has 3 cables, and if you select the two used by the middle light, you will have the footwell dimming together with it.

I have the system as above for ages, but i now consider buying the illuminated key ring as well. That one, will give you the cable to run to the courtesy light, connectors get power from the courtesy light without any modification, and you can then piggy back that cable with snap on connectors, to get light for the footwells, without any permanent modifications to the car.

p.s. 1 The key ring comes in other colors too. You can get white, blue and red i think.

p.s. 2 Check the cables before buying the snap on connectors. I am not sure if you need the ones for 3.5mm or a different one.

#18 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,454 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:34 PM

I did a slightly different footwell lighting compared to Lenny's guide. I am at some point going to draw up a specific guide to doing it the way I did, and probably collaborate with Lenny to build on his guide.

I too used an illuminated ignition barrel as the source wires for the power, then fed two seperate lines of speaker wire to the LED's in the footwells.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users