• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Name: Andrew
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec
  • Year: 2009
Contributor

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:23 PM

some importants figures there, i do have a question regarding mobile speed cameras

as yet ive been fairly lucky in that ive been doing the correct speed and then suddenly spotting the van,

i was on a 50mph dual carriageway (a500) which i drive up and down every day, i saw the van away in the distance, in a site ive not seen a van there before, looked down had to brake to 50mph (which the bmw sitting on my bumper didnt like much) however the bend that the van was sitting on was a 40mph limit, (the road goes 50, 40 bend, 50 then 70) i slowed down to 50 but would he clock me before the 40 bend or on the 50 straight when i first saw him or clock me doing 50 on a 40 bend?

#33 DanGersFord

DanGersFord

Dan The Gas Man

• FOC Supporters
  • 3,498 posts
  • Name: Daniel
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST3
  • Year: 2014
Contributor

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

some importants figures there, i do have a question regarding mobile speed cameras as yet ive been fairly lucky in that ive been doing the correct speed and then suddenly spotting the van, i was on a 50mph dual carriageway (a500) which i drive up and down every day, i saw the van away in the distance, in a site ive not seen a van there before, looked down had to brake to 50mph (which the bmw sitting on my bumper didnt like much) however the bend that the van was sitting on was a 40mph limit, (the road goes 50, 40 bend, 50 then 70) i slowed down to 50 but would he clock me before the 40 bend or on the 50 straight when i first saw him or clock me doing 50 on a 40 bend?

The bit of the A500 I think you're on about its only advisory to do 40mph have a look and see if the 40mph speed limit sign is triangular shaped. If it is this means its advisory if its circular it means its compulsary. I used to stay in stoke so think I know which bit of the A500 you mean

#34 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,822 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

The van would be aiming quite a distance up the road so would be looking at cars in the 50mph zone.

The camera needs a nice straight lengh of road in order to be able to focus on the car and get an accurate reading.

As long as your speedo wasn't showing over 55mph (allowing for the usual 10% speedo calibration error built into cars) you should be ok.

#35 vince_13

vince_13

Vince

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
Contributor

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

the only 40 sign on there is a rectangle below a triangle warning of a bend, it say max speed, i wish i could remember what i saw on my speedo but all i can remember was braking down to 50 and watching the bmw behind

the lane i was in was empty the car infront had just passed the van, which makes me think he had enough time to sight his laser on my plate (being the first car in the lane)

is it true that they can do "data spots" they sit in a ideal location and measure the ammount of speeders yet dont actually prosecute or give notice? see it more as a warning

#36 DanGersFord

DanGersFord

Dan The Gas Man

• FOC Supporters
  • 3,498 posts
Contributor

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

Yeah that means its only a recommendation that you do 40mph going round the bend :) dont worry about it. Thats where I did my driving lessons and it was my instructor that told me that

#37 vince_13

vince_13

Vince

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
Contributor

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:03 PM

i dont know why its still 40, given technology and tyres and cars these days taking that corner at 40 is a tad unecessary imo

#38 DanGersFord

DanGersFord

Dan The Gas Man

• FOC Supporters
  • 3,498 posts
Contributor

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

i dont know why its still 40, given technology and tyres and cars these days taking that corner at 40 is a tad unecessary imo

As I said because of the triangle its only a recommendation that you do 40mph at the bend but you wont get done for doing 50mph

#39 NorthSussex

NorthSussex

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Name: Stormin
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Petrol manual

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

Mobile speed cameras are never positioned so that if a motorist were to brake suddenly upon seeing the camera it would cause a collision, therefore they are usually located on a striate piece of road with a constant speed limit.  No excuses for exceeding the speed limit.   :)     

#40 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,822 posts
Contributor

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

Mobile speed cameras are never positioned so that if a motorist were to brake suddenly upon seeing the camera it would cause a collision, therefore they are usually located on a striate piece of road with a constant speed limit.  No excuses for exceeding the speed limit.   :)     

Indeed, the cameras are there to stop accidents not cause them.

#41 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:42 PM

The van would be aiming quite a distance up the road so would be looking at cars in the 50mph zone.

The camera needs a nice straight lengh of road in order to be able to focus on the car and get an accurate reading.

As long as your speedo wasn't showing over 55mph (allowing for the usual 10% speedo calibration error built into cars) you should be ok.

They say the cameras used to be set to go off at 10% + 2mph (57mph in a 50mph limit) was this true?

Then there was talk of "zero tolerance" - are there national guidelines for this or does it depend which county etc you are in?  

#42 NorthSussex

NorthSussex

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Name: Stormin
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Petrol manual

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

10% but no + 2 mph any more.

#43 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,822 posts
Contributor

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

Yes, 10% only now.

#44 vince_13

vince_13

Vince

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
Contributor

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

ok cheers guys i say come what may now

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users