• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Name: Micheal
  • Ford Model: 1.8 ghia petrol
  • Year: 2004

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

That sounds like a horrific job.

I know this will fail on mine at some point and will end up trying miserably to fix this. At least I have learned some good tips here thanks to all for sharing.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 clarky100

clarky100

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 Titanium
  • Year: 2006

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

I managed to fix mine yesterday. Bit of a nightmare, but this is how i did it. I managed to use the coin trick only, but I used 5Ps instead of 1Ps. 

Outside of the car, I got one end of the spring attached to something sturdy so it hangs down. Can be anything as long as it doesn't move as you will need to pull the spring down.

Then i got a spring puller and attached this to the other end and pulled the spring firmly down. With it being pulled, I then inserted 5p pieces on each side of each coil. so there were about 25 or so. You need to make sure you have coins either side of each coil on every coil. This i found stretched the spring long enough. 

I then inserted the shorter end of the spring to the bulk head, and with the spring stretched  the longer bit went in nicely on the pedal hole. Dont get me wrong, its a sod to get to and access is tight but if you get a decent torch so you can see where the 2 holes are you can manage it. 

Now, i was expecting the coins to drop out when the pedal was pressed, but this didn't happen, so I had to remove the coins with a pair of long nose pliers. you need to give them a bit of a yank, but they do come out, and then the spring is in nicely and the pedal no longer has play in it.

When I first did this I took the advice of an earlier post of using just 15 5Ps and seeing if this would be enough, so this took a bit of time. I would say if you start with every coil with a 5P in each side, it shouldn't take long at all to do.

Hope it helps. 

#18 jonboy01

jonboy01

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Ford Model: focus 1.6 lx

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:34 PM

Oh great ,sounds like a job that I will have to do this weekend,hurt my back last week so not looking forward to it at all....
Thanks to all who have posted so far and I now have a good idea of where to start.my local dealer has had to order this spring in as it broke this morning and I had a horrible moment when I thought my clutch had gone south..
No matter what breaks on my car they always have to order it in for me, must be the demand..
Will let you know how I get on :-)

#19 Mr_Spock

Mr_Spock

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Name: Tom
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus 1.6 Petrol Hatch
  • Year: 2005
Contributor

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

Did this on my MKII last year. I used the old spring, just used pliers to bend a new "hook"  on the end that broke.

Having read this thread, I used coins - and got very lucky, fixed it in just 10 minutes :)

#20 jonboy01

jonboy01

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Ford Model: focus 1.6 lx

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:31 PM

Well done the spring...awkward to get the old one out from behind the clutch pushrod mechanism or what?...had to split the pedal assembly in the end...not a job I would recommend .
The old spring sat in a slot behind the pedal that I just couldn't get access to.the good news was that the new one went in sweet as a nut with the pedal separated and didn't have to Faf around with coins
So should be all good for the next 10yrs...;-)
Happy days.

#21 Alec J

Alec J

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.0L Titanium
  • Year: 2005

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:47 PM

My clutch seems to have 2 minds of its own. Normally at first it feels quite stiff but after some use it loosens up and feels more up. Could this be the spring sticking?

Alec

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users