Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking for some wheels

Wookie Monster

I've currently got a set of winter tyres on my 2009 focus, on the 16-inch 5-spoke steel wheels. Rather than change tyres twice a year, I'm after a second set of wheels to fit my summer tyres to. Preferably either the same type of steel wheel or some ford alloys. Can collect from around the Coventry area or Northamptonshire.

moderators: please move if this is the wrong place

I cannot help you with the second set of wheels but if you need any wheel nuts for alloys or even a set of locking wheel nuts for alloys, just PM me.

I am fairly close to Coventry.

ScaniaPBman.

22 hours ago, Wookie Monster said:

I've currently got a set of winter tyres on my 2009 focus, on the 16-inch 5-spoke steel wheels. Rather than change tyres twice a year, I'm after a second set of wheels to fit my summer tyres to. Preferably either the same type of steel wheel or some ford alloys. Can collect from around the Coventry area or Northamptonshire.

moderators: please move if this is the wrong place

Plenty on eBay and gumtree and cheap too

I've run summer tyres all year round for God knows how many years, never considered "winter" tyres myself, don't think I need them, our winters are not exactly harsh just wet where I live in South Wales.

During the recent "heavy" snow we had my summer tyres didn't fail to get my car anywhere.

1 hour ago, wilto said:

I've run summer tyres all year round for God knows how many years, never considered "winter" tyres myself, don't think I need them, our winters are not exactly harsh just wet where I live in South Wales.

During the recent "heavy" snow we had my summer tyres didn't fail to get my car anywhere.

Same here had a few small slips but was able to control them during the bad spell.

An (almost, but not completely) opposing view - my winter tyres have felt nothing but solid. It's 15 miles from home to work for me, along untreated roads/hills, and I only needed a push up one stubbornly steep hill because a taxi decided to stop on the crest in front of me...

They give a much more solid feel when driving compared to my experience driving on summer tyres on fresh/compacted snow and ice, and also just in the general cold and wet weather. They do however feel *bizarre* when driving at any temperature above about 10-11 degrees but believe this is due to the sipes cut in the tread blocks.

They cost about £26 at the local tyre shop to swap all four tyres with new valves and balancing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got some Ford-spoke alloys this weekend with the summer tyres on them.

Winter tyres are better in anything less than about 7 degrees- not just ice and snow! My summer tyres were useless when we did get bad weather though.

The advantages are that you're only using each set of wheels for half the year, so they last twice as long. Plus you have the optimal tread and compound for warm or cold weather. Only disadvantage I can see is having to store the spare set of wheels somewhere.

If you've never driven with proper winter tyres then it's hard to appreciate the difference.

I'm running on 225/40/18s on RS replica rims and like You've said I don't have any place to store an extra set of wheels or tyres, plus Id have to either get them swapped over twice a year or buy another set of RS wheels to fit the winter tyres to, as the car wouldn't look right on smaller wheels/tyres. Think I'm lucky not to have massive snowfalls in my area, and work is only 4 miles away on well treated A roads and duel carriage way.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club