Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Battery Drain Issue (64 plate)

jamieburchell

Hi

Since new I've experienced an intermittent issue with my 64 plate Fiesta which presents itself as the battery being completely flat. For example, after one journey of 250 miles 2 years ago, the following morning I couldn't get in to the car without manually using the key, because the battery had died. Yet, after leaving the car in an airport car park for over 2 weeks it was fine.

In total it's happened about 5 times since 2014. My service history shows that I first mentioned the fault to the dealership in 2015, but they were "unable to find any fault". And of course, long amounts of time pass when the fault doesn't reoccur.

Time's gone by and it's happened again, but now the car is out of warranty. Ford Assist came out and got the car started and observed a drain on the battery after the car had been locked and off for 15 minutes.

Got the car back to Ford (as a recovery), and the technician has said: "observed the front panel lighting up ... reprogrammed FCDIM". They went ahead and did the update without authorising the cost with me first, which has angered me (and is something the dealership is denying) but also as the car is out of warranty they aren't interested in doing the update for free. In my mind that's total BS given this update appears to address a known fault that has existed since the car was new.

I managed to get the dealership to knock off the cost of the diagnostic, but they've still charged me £85 to do the update. I "paid under protest" because I don't agree that I should be charged for the update. I'm disputing it with Ford Customer Services, but they just keep batting me back to the dealership, who bat me back to Ford Customer Services.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I've been doing some digging and unearthed some things that might be relevant:

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/news/150137/watchdog-new-fiesta-crippled-by-bluetooth-battery-drain

https://ford.oemdtc.com/2331/13b12-check-battery-and-reprogram-the-front-controldisplay-interface-module-fcdim-2013-ford-c-max.

https://www.justanswer.com/uk-ford/96yag-ford-fiesta-fiesta-1-2-11-plate-left-week.html

I'm wondering if they should have also updated the ACM module.

How can I get Ford to recognise and admit fault and ultimately refund me, as I'm not getting anywhere?

Cheers

Jamie

If the battery has been drained enough for the remote to not work then the battery has probably been discharged enough to permanently damage the battery. As regards to the battery drain if it is a known fault then wouldn't this be covered under sale of goods act regardless of warranty?

17 hours ago, cjay1 said:

If the battery has been drained enough for the remote to not work then the battery has probably been discharged enough to permanently damage the battery. As regards to the battery drain if it is a known fault then wouldn't this be covered under sale of goods act regardless of warranty?

I’m told the battery has tested OK by Ford Assist, the local garage and the dealership so I can only assume it’s fine.

I think one of the issues I’m having is trying to get them to admit that this is a known fault. Waiting to hear back from Ford Fraud Customer Services to see what they say.

Hi

Had this problem with my 64 reg Titanium X. My problem appeared to be the rear view camera (known problem) and a Ford software update cured it. You don't mention the model of your car or if you have a rear view camera. My two flat batteries occurred within a two week period after about 3 months of owning the car from new. Don't know if this will be the cause of your problem but thought I would mention it.

What I found which sounds totally inconsequential - I used to have a USB iPhone charger (Anker) plugged in to my car's USB, my 13 plate Ecoboost.  

It barely ever, if ever, got actually plugged in to a phone. But during the cold winter we've just had my battery would go so low as to reset the radio and dash, on one occasion, going completely flat. Sometimes the mirrors wouldn't auto-fold out and I'd notice the radio was "off" instead of just coming on.  

I got the battery tested to see if it needed replacing and the technicians noted everything seemed fine.  

As soon as I took the USB cable out, I've not had a single problem with my cars battery. Apparently there is a power draw when you have something plugged in so you may want to check.

Like you, I could have the car off for 10-20 mins and it would just drain.

I don't have a rear parking camera on my Titanium. I do have a USB stick in the socket all the time for music, but shouldn't this switch off with the car? I think the only socket that seems to stay on when the engine is off is the rear outlet in the back of the centre console - the other sockets are dead. Fingers crossed the issue is resolved now. I'm still waiting for customer services to call back.

The saga continues 😔

Left the car in a car park for 1 hour 30, came back, got in the car and hit the start button and the instrument panel lit up like a Christmas tree. battery was too flat to start the car.

Got AA out again (and purchased a jump starter kit because I have zero confidence in the car now). AA observed a 2A drain after 5 mins of the car being off, locked and keys away from car, nothing on or plugged in. He now says the battery is showing as needing replacing too, which is contrary to what the AA and Ford said last time.

So it looks like whatever Ford did hasn’t resolved the issue. Back to Ford again 😡

No doubt I’ll have to stump up the cash for a new battery now too.

• 4 years later...

I too started to get a battery that would not hold a charge.  After reading about possible alternator diode faults, Sync/Bluetooth issues and rear boot light not turning off as possible battery drain issues,  I think I have located my cause,  as I discovered that the glove box light was not turning off. due to a faulty switch.  (During the faulting I also turned off bluetooth and removed the fuse to the Sync). Something else for people to consider if they are trying to locate their fault.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club