Do Not Sell My Personal Information

first time towing in the edge

nickblackedge

Just got back from the first weekend away towing with the new edge . I must say I'm very impressed with it, a very relaxing drive . Just put it in drive a let the auto box do all the work the wife is a completely different person in the edge so relaxed . Unlike in the nissan pathfinder we had before she she was all uptight and never relaxed . It tow's very well in drive  getting up to speed really well also tried it in sport mode off some light going up a hill it sailed up as if the car was solo . Overall well impressed going away next weekend too but a longer drive so looking forward to it. 

20180429_121751.jpg

Towed a few times now and as you say Auto box does all the work for you, just put it in cruise control on long runs and it never misses a beat. 

I had a Pathfinder a few years ago. I'm not surprised you're more relaxed in the Edge, you've gone from possibly the noisiest SUV ever, to possibly the quietest.

Collecting my new edge on Sunday, the reason I have bought this car is for it's towing capacity, glad to read you had a good experience towing your van.

You won't be disappointed Very pleased with it, going away the weekend round trip of 150 miles. Looking forward to towing again . Got a couple of bigger trips planned too .

I’m with @Fergieman and tow a horse trailer, though my ‘Ifor’ is an older model.  Great car and other than on steep inclines / declines, I leave it in drive.  

• 1 month later...

Are people using the Ford removable tow bar? I ask because I noted that the nose weight limit for this tow bar is 90kg. On my previous car the nose weight limit for the detachable tow bar was 150kg so I never really worried about it. On the Edge, with a 90kg limit I think I need to be a bit more careful when loading the caravan. Given that it is extremely difficult to measure the nose weight on a twin axle caravan accurately have other caravanners particularly worried about this?

I'm close to the limit of what the Edge can legally tow anyway which is why I'm being cautious, the caravan has a MIRO of 1640kg and a plated MTPLM of 2000kg, although obviously I wouldn't put anything like 360kg of stuff in the caravan!

@KugaEdge Alistair, as in my post prior to yours, I regularly tow a horse trailer. Not the same weight as your caravan, but an unladen weight of around 950kg, with one horse of about 550kg, plus horse tack and passengers, I’m probably in a similar situation.  I’ve never measured, nor do I know how to measure, the nose weight. Is it easy to do ?  I haven’t had any issues with the removable tow bar as yet.

Been towing a twin axle Cartagena 2 years almost with mine , just got back from Cornwall (370 mile each way) absolutely love it as a towcar. Did check nose weight before this trip and was actually a bit light at 70kg so shuffled some (beer) stuff and got it upto 80kg. Cruise control, auto, lane guidance .. just pointed it south and put my feet up for 6 hours :)

• 1 year later...

I tow a compass rallye 644 with mine did 2400 miles in mine around May bank holiday to Ireland and around Ireland and back to yorkshire regularly tow up and down to Coventry love it had pathfinder then shogun this edge sport 2017 is a better more refined drive and better on fuel than both these cars 

Been told my edge has a non genuine ford tow bar on its a witter fitted by ford garage they say that they can not program it to show on dashboard is there any way it can be done as it does not turn off sensors when in reverse they say does not alter towing or stability 

9 hours ago, Ydda2 said:

Been told my edge has a non genuine ford tow bar on its a witter fitted by ford garage they say that they can not program it to show on dashboard is there any way it can be done as it does not turn off sensors when in reverse they say does not alter towing or stability 

It's probably a universal wiring kit.  If that's the case then Ford are correct, it can't be programmed.  I would try an independent fitter first, just in case Ford are pulling wool over your eyes.

To make it talk to your car, the towbar wiring would need to be removed and the supplementary Ford loom installed. I’m sure your Ford dealer could do it if they wanted to and I’m quite disappointed that the Ford dealer who fitted it, did a cheap job, unless of course the person who owned the car previously provided all the parts and said “fit this please”. 

11 hours ago, Ydda2 said:

My Ford dealer sub-contracts a local towbar fitting company who fit non-ford parts. Mine is a Tow Trust system. They also do Westfalia and Witter bars too.

The loom fitted as part of that kit is a Genuine Ford loom with a Ford Trailer ECU. These do require your car ECU's to be configured and Ford will do that (if the towbar people don't!). However, some fit a really cheap 'universal' kit which is just a tapping off each your rear lights. In this case, the car ECU's knows nothing about your towbar and so can't give you any of the benifits a trailer ECU does.

The ECU and associated loom are fitted behind the right boot trim panel and the harness drops through the floor to the towbar. Its VERY easy to fit or replace the 'universal' loom with a dedicated loom and ECU and get programmed up!

If a Ford garage fitted this then I would keep going back to them saying it doesn't disable rear lights, Fog, Parking sensors, etc and when they say they can't, just tell them to fix it (ie. fit the right kit that does!). Mine originally wasn't fully configured so it went back for that and then when I got my caravan, I found there was no battery feed (for fridge, ATC, etc), so they fitted that (separate 2 wire harness). All of which should have been done at the start, but I persisted until they got it right. Didn't cost me anything extra and I even got them out to my house to sort it out so I wasn't inconvenienced.  

Thank you for all your reply’s I will look in to sorting this going to look to see how it is wired first and go from there had its first service yesterday since I have owned it bought it from Stoneacre ford at york in March with 14000 on clock took out service plan with them at yesterday’s service 24000 on clock according to them needed four new tyres @ £160 to £250 each plus front brake pads 50% warn recommended them renewed £225 ordered four new verdes from local at home fitter £125 each fitted will look at doing brake pads in maybe 6 months myself as I am sure that at 50% warn will last at least 5000 mile yet 

4 minutes ago, Ydda2 said:

will look at doing brake pads in maybe 6 months myself as I am sure that at 50% warn will last at least 5000 mile yet 

I posted the sections from the service manual for this in this post ...

Cheers for the info chaps the tow bar was fitted before I bought it from Stoneacre ford at york,I was told it had been one of the sales teams car, ex demo and that is why it had the extras on it Panama roof, tow bar, driving pack,the salesman I bought it through had driven it for a year he told me, but did not know it had a tow bar on as it was under the boot floor with the 13 pin socket tucked up out of sight under the car, so I did not suspect that it was not a genuine ford tow bar or not configured right until I saw on this forum that it should show a y shape on screen when plugged in indicating a trailer was fitted.  

If it’s Witter then it won’t be a Ford official fit, but you never know. It might just need the programming done at the dealer so the car knows it’s fitted. 

4 hours ago, simonb65 said:

Didn't cost me anything extra and I even got them out to my house to sort it out so I wasn't inconvenienced.  

Did they make a good job of your house ?😂

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Edge of Reason said:

Did they make a good job of your house ?😂

Made a better job than they made of the tow bar install! :wink::laughing:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club