Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any Tools/tips On Changing The Oil Filter

Owen J

Just changed the oil on my Focus for the first time but did a bit of a schoolboy error and didn't look at the access to the filter before I'd drained the oil. The tool I've used on my previous cars wouldn't fit in the small gap around the filter so I've had to leave the old one in place.

Anyone got any tips or know any good tools for removing the filter..........

Just changed the oil on my Focus for the first time but did a bit of a schoolboy error and didn't look at the access to the filter before I'd drained the oil. The tool I've used on my previous cars wouldn't fit in the small gap around the filter so I've had to leave the old one in place.

Anyone got any tips or know any good tools for removing the filter..........

The best tool I have found is a hand held grip made out of plastic. It looks like a question mark in shape and has a grip rather like a claw that moves upwards inside of the question mark shape if you know what I mean when you squeeze the trigger. If I can find one on the internet I will post a link.

Chain type tools always seem to slip and if you don't have a ready made tool try a good old leather belt and buckle and make sure the filter casing is dry. You will need to attach a lever to the belt ie stick, screwdriver, and twist to get a grip. I have often done this in the past.

Failing that, put some newspaper down and put a thick screwdriver through the filter and turn work it loose slowly, not the best way but it usually works OK.

• 2 weeks later...

The best tool I have found is a hand held grip made out of plastic. It looks like a question mark in shape and has a grip rather like a claw that moves upwards inside of the question mark shape if you know what I mean when you squeeze the trigger. If I can find one on the internet I will post a link.

Chain type tools always seem to slip and if you don't have a ready made tool try a good old leather belt and buckle and make sure the filter casing is dry. You will need to attach a lever to the belt ie stick, screwdriver, and twist to get a grip. I have often done this in the past.

Failing that, put some newspaper down and put a thick screwdriver through the filter and turn work it loose slowly, not the best way but it usually works OK.

Thanks for replying (and sorry it's a little late!)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club