Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DPF Guidance on Mk3 1.6 TDCI request

DickP

Hi,

First post here!

I am considering getting a Focus Estate, possibly the Mk3 with the 1.6 TDCI engine.

My query is what lifespan do the DPF typically have on these cars?  Is there an easy way to find out how full they are and when it would require replacement?

What is the typical cost of the replacement DPF?

Thanks!

A well maintained one should last at least 100,000 miles, but one failed on a van at work after 6000 as they literally drive 2 miles at a time. Ended up costing the company around £1800 to fix. We get charged stupid amounts though as it's a big company so nobody will say anything or shop around.

I'm not sure what DPF info Forscan gives you, but I'm sure someone else on here will know.

I do a high mileage and have never replaced one, my last 3 mondeos did over 175k no DPF problems apart from split sensor pipes, the shortest journey I do is 23 miles and very litt town driving

• Like 1

just remember to put some DPF cleaner in  every 3000 miles or so   redex do one  it cleans the dpf and injectors   

The Mk3 Focus uses a coated DPF which is far more effective and reliable than the old Eolys style used in most Mk2s and a lot of PSA vehicles.

It should last well over 100k if driven normally, they don't even mind a bit of town as long as the majority are longer trips.

Forscan does show the soot loading in the DPF on these but high soot loading isn't necessarily a sign of needing replacement, just that it needs to regenerate on a long run.  There is no way to determine the exact lifespan of each individual DPF, too many variables.

I wouldn't personally recommend running any sort of fuel or DPF cleaner through these but opinions will vary there.

Price of an aftermarket DPF for these is £350+.  Takes a few hours labour (so maybe £200 depending on labour rates).  Genuine DPF is more like £800!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi

Thanks for the replies, very useful.  That'a also good news TomsFocus on the cost front, sounds like they're not as expensive as they were once made out to be.

Thanks,

8 hours ago, Tasape said:

just remember to put some DPF cleaner in  every 3000 miles or so   redex do one  it cleans the dpf and injectors   

Snake oil

• Like 1

We run our 2014 cmax 1.6 tdci on Shell v power which helps keep soot levels lower.

14 hours ago, JONATHAN_11_80 said:

We run our 2014 cmax 1.6 tdci on shell v power which helps keep soot levels lower.

Strange, I found that V Power causes my cause to start regeneration more frequently!

• 1 month later...

Not noticed regular regeneration while running on v power to be honest.  Ours doesn't like bp ultimate.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club