n_hudson

What the heck has happened to my rotors?

Noticed after the recent clutch change that my offside front was either warped or ill fitted since work had been carried out, so I decided to just replace the discs and pads as the braking performance was shocking... So I fitted a set of Mintex Disc and Pads and braking performance, although still got to slowly bed in, is far better.

Here's the old original discs, after maybe 10-15k miles... what happened to them>>???

IMG_5195.thumb.jpg.5dd3eb984630099d5b8cab87bd6fa2fd.jpgIMG_5196.thumb.jpg.d49d2b8e85be2a7dae2173715027c41b.jpg

the spots / blotches could be surface contamination from contact with some sort of oil / chemical / fluid

*possibly

10 hours ago, biff55 said:

the spots / blotches could be surface contamination from contact with some sort of oil / chemical / fluid

*possibly

I thought that, using the power of Google, I'm not convinced they had been cleaned properly by the Ford technician when they fitted them

I'm done with Ford, this is our first and last... I've been fortunate enough to have never had an issue with a car or main dealer, until now. 

the discs , which otherwise look ok , might have been saved with a thorough clean using wire wool & white spirits , but the pads will have been ruined , the compound material just soaks up chemicals / oil like a sponge  and bang goes any friction

The pads are the Motorcraft pads which (in my opinion) are horrible anyway. 

Motorcraft pads are known to be very hard. This can also cause the discoloration of the brake discs. Especially if the brake discs are the original FoMoCo (ATE) brake discs. 

Apart form the discoloration the brake discs do not look that bad.

9 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

The pads are the Motorcraft pads which (in my opinion) are horrible anyway. 

Motorcraft pads are known to be very hard. This can also cause the discoloration of the brake discs. Especially if the brake discs are the original FoMoCo (ATE) brake discs. 

Apart form the discoloration the brake discs do not look that bad.

The front drivers disc had warped somehow. So changed the pads a matter of course. The brakes felt not existent recently. 

I can safely say that the disc \ pads were at fault, but everything seemed fine before the clutch change... 

I can't prove it, but I'm thinking the tech who did the clutch maybe messed around with the wheel area \ discs with mucky gloves. 

44 minutes ago, n_hudson said:

I can't prove it, but I'm thinking the tech who did the clutch maybe messed around with the wheel area \ discs with mucky gloves. 

Could be. He would've been around that area to remove the drive shaft.

Pfft, call those bad!?  This is the discs from my ~50k mk2. :tongue:  The back of discs always looks bad, it's caused by pad deposits when the brakes are hot that never get washed off being on the inside.

IMAG4814.thumb.jpg.d414811e9ee33b8571db518076c799ad.jpg  

The dark patches on the disks could just be ‘hard patches’ of material in the original castings before the machining of the disks. Cast iron although easy to machine often has hard/tough bits and some places anneal the castings to remove this effect.