Do Not Sell My Personal Information

tyre Squeal

mrmetallica

ive had a couple of times that my tyre has gone down. i come out to the car to see the drivers front is down so i pump it up and carry on but in the back of my mind is if ive got a puncture.

but over the next two weeks it stays up but today i was out and i pulled of a bit sharpish and the front wheel squealed and when i stop at a shop and the tyre is down low again.

is it possible that the squaeling is allowing air to come out of the tyre some how ? its always drivrs that squeals

How flat is the tyre? If you've driven it with the rim pretty much touching the floor then you will need a new tyre as it will weaken the sidewall with all the weight.

The squeal is usually the result of a flat tyre and not the cause.

1 minute ago, Luke4efc said:

How flat is the tyre? If you've driven it with the rim pretty much touching the floor then you will need a new tyre as it will weaken the sidewall with all the weight.

The squeal is usually the result of a flat tyre and not the cause.

i never drive with it low i blow it up. it was low enough for me to have to blow it up. i just wondered if the air was gettng out when it squealed

There must be a leak somewhere, though it's odd that it lasts 2 weeks before suddenly dropping.  Either way, tyres don't just drop air like that, get it tested somewhere, most tyre shops will have a large water bath for leak detection.  They literally just pump it up and dunk it in the water looking for air bubbles.  Likely to be a faulty valve in your case.

It is an offence with a fine and points if you're pulled with a flat tyre now so not worth the risk imo.

depending on what has punctured it, it can go down at different rates according to the position of the tyre when parked. A screw in a tyre (where the tip of screw has gone right through to inside ) will always let the tyre down as the screw threads tear their way through the rubber.

A nail in a tyre, even where the tip has gone right through to inside , often does not go gown. a smooth sided nail goes in cleanly and sometimes the air stays sealed in as rubber grips the smooth nail sides. But if for example the nail is in at a 45 degree angle and you park with the nail toughing the road, the weight of the car is pushing the nail sideways and letting air past it. and then if you park with the nail at the top in can be ok again.  

I have had many nails in tyres over my 36 years of driving. 

A friend of mine had a slow puncture. twice the garage put the wheel in the water tank and could not find the leak.  I said to him the problem is it does not have the weight of the car on it flexing the tyre when the wheel is in the tank off the car.  It was eventually found it was a staple in the side wall and it only leaked when the weight of the car was flexing the sidewall at that point.  

im thinking of putting it in the bath lol off the car mind

Will it fit in a normal bath?  Car parts always seem huge when you bring them inside lol.

36 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Will it fit in a normal bath?  Car parts always seem huge when you bring them inside lol.

yeah a wheel should fit in a bath. i think my wifes hoing it wont lol

right i went out jacked car up turned the wheel outwards so i could check it spun the wheel in a circle no nails or screws or anythng.i got a spray bottle with a strong mix of washing up liquid and turned the wheel while spraying done the beads and sides of tyre and the top and no bubbles .i know it not as good as a bath but couldnt be bothered taking it off as ive got arthritus and takes a lot for me to do .any way im baffled the pressure is still ok so will see how it goes will try not to squeel the tyre . also checked the valve seat and all

Spinning up the wheels won't be causing the pressure loss, just taking a few hundred miles off the tread each time lol.  I really would just take it to a local tyre garage, they'll remove the wheel, pump it up high and have it in a water bath in a couple of minutes at no hassle or cost to you.  Obviously if they find a puncture or faulty valve you're sort of obliged to pay them a tenner to fix it.  They might even find a crack in the alloy rim itself, not unusual with all the potholes these days.  Did you check the valve core as well?  They can work loose over time as they only screw in.

Isetta's post reminded of my Dads unlucky puncture a few years ago, would've been borderline repairable but he managed to park right on top of the screw so it ended up through the sidewall as well! :laugh: 

213955543_puncture1.thumb.jpg.5443d3c52c03c288b1e8ae1d1ed74ce7.jpg

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Spinning up the wheels won't be causing the pressure loss, just taking a few hundred miles off the tread each time lol.  I really would just take it to a local tyre garage, they'll remove the wheel, pump it up high and have it in a water bath in a couple of minutes at no hassle or cost to you.  Obviously if they find a puncture or faulty valve you're sort of obliged to pay them a tenner to fix it.  They might even find a crack in the alloy rim itself, not unusual with all the potholes these days.  Did you check the valve core as well?  They can work loose over time as they only screw in.

Isetta's post reminded of my Dads unlucky puncture a few years ago, would've been borderline repairable but he managed to park right on top of the screw so it ended up through the sidewall as well! :laugh: 

213955543_puncture1.thumb.jpg.5443d3c52c03c288b1e8ae1d1ed74ce7.jpg

i dont spin the wheels like that im 61 so not my thing never has been to be honest .its just some times if i pull off slightly fast the drivers lets out a squeal i think the tyres made out of pig skin lol i did check valve core seamed ok maybe ill pop in and get it checked .i did a pressure test and an hour later was the same

and that tyre looks awful never had one like that 

Edited by mrmetallica
forgot how old i am
  • Like 1

right just got back from tyre place.

apparently it was the rim of the tyre,the tyre wasnt seating roperly and leaking air so would explain the squealing causing the tyre to go flat .

they cleaned all around the rim of wheel re balanced the wheel and new valve so all ok now £15

• Like 1