Alan...

Sorry But.......

Hi all.   New to the Forum and cant seem to be able to sort a search in just the Focus Forum.

I'm also new to Fords as such.

So hoping i can be pointed in the right direction.

So...  17 plate Titanium Focus estate. ( stupid question) Mk3?

Sync 3 maps are out of date and it went for 1st service yesterday and I was told by my Ford service center I can buy a new SD card for £150 in the Autumn. I know for a fact that it doesnt use sd cards on Sync 3.  (Sync 2 use cards)

I understand that Sync 3 wifi updates don't work

I get loss of GPS signal and the same Ford dealer have told me its because of my dashcam.  Seems a bit of a strange idea to me but.....   willing to be advised.

Sorry if these questions are all in the wrong place etc.

I blame it on the old newbie.

Thanks in advance.

Alan...

13 hours ago, Alan... said:

Hi all.   New to the Forum and cant seem to be able to sort a search in just the Focus Forum.

I'm also new to Fords as such.

So hoping i can be pointed in the right direction.

Sync 3 maps are out of date and it went for 1st service yesterday and I was told by my Ford service center I can buy a new SD card for £150 in the Autumn. I know for a fact that it doesnt use sd cards on Sync 3.  (Sync 2 use cards)

Correct. Updates are done via WiFi and not SD card. Get a new dealer, they should know this!

I understand that Sync 3 wifi updates don't work

Never heard this one. Connect it to your home WiFi and it should work. I don't own Sync 3 so I can't give you further guidance as to what menus to use!

I get loss of GPS signal and the same Ford dealer have told me its because of my dashcam.  Seems a bit of a strange idea to me but.....   willing to be advised.

Who's made your dash cam? I have a cheap Chinese dashcam at home that when plugged in creates so much EMI it knocks out DAB and other stuff so it is entirely feasible if you have a cheap camera or cheap 12V charger.

Sorry if these questions are all in the wrong place etc.

You're in the right place, you used the search and didn't gatecrash a completely unrelated topic. Well done and welcome 🐵

I blame it on the old newbie.

Age is just a number. My mum is 66 and can operate a dslr camera, A3 scanner/printer mac, pc and photoshop with very good results better than some uni kid!

Thanks in advance.

Alan...

Hi Andy. 

The dash cam Is a nextbase one so it's reasonable. It doesn't interfere with the DAB so that's a fair assumption that it shouldn't affect the gps.  

I will, however, switch cam off next time I lose gps signal just to rule it out.

But if it was the camera I would expect it to give rfi all the time.

17 hours ago, Alan... said:

It's the mk 3.5 as it had a facelift around 2014/15

Not all dealers are the same. 

My local one claimed to have never heard of the ecoboost issue and didn’t have a clue what a degas hose was. I left them. 

I found a dealer who was honest and open. Admitted the issue and advised how to avoid it. 

If your dealer is getting things wrong like that then I’d never go back. Their lack of knowledge can cost you more money in the long run. Any why pay the premium dealer prices if they know jack..?

7 hours ago, Albert27 said:

It's the mk 3.5 as it had a facelift around 2014/15

Trust me not to buy the wife a full mk4 lol

trust me not to buy the wife a full mk4 lol

On 7/12/2018 at 11:20 PM, Alan... said:

I understand that Sync 3 wifi updates don't wor

Your right, Sync 3 doesn't use SD cards, that's the old Sync 2 platform, but AFAIK Sync 3 doesn't use Wifi for Nav/Map update.  

If you search this forum you should find info on downloading the latest F7 maps from Ford servers, and details of how to install on a USB stick to update your maps.  To get the latest F7 nav(voice)/map data, you also need to be on at least Sync 3 v3. Sync 3 system updates are a user installable update available on the Ford UK website (see link below). Just enter your VIN in the appropriate area, and it should allow you to download the latest Sync 3 system files (not nav/maps) for you car.

The F7 Map download is from Ford servers, but it's not "officially" available from Ford UK yet, so use at your own risk. I've had it installed for several months without issues.

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/sync-bluetooth/update#/