Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 Zetec 1.25

DMB1

need more info on use and miles it will do in each journey.

ecoboost will feel a lot more powerful and exciting than 1.25 but more likely to go wrong than 1.25,  it is more highly tuned and has turbo (and many people have had problems with engine damage from sudden coolant losses,as mentioned on this forum, and also rusty coolant pipes on the turbo, as also mentioned on this forum). Many say that ecoboost mpg gets nowhere near claimed mpg (but I don't think many/any cars really achieve claimed mpg in normal use)

Diesel would need to be used on higher speed longer journeys if to avoid diesel particle filter regenration problems.

Is there any reason why you particularly want led drls?  more of a problem if they go wrong (ford say you have to replace complete headlamp unit - I have no idea how many years they last)

Car would possibly be used 8-10k miles per year. We live just outside the city, but is very hilly. Journeys on average will be 10-30miles daily. The led lights just make the car look fresher. Yeah I’ve read that about ecoboost engine, might give it a miss then. 

Hopefully someone else will be able to add some comments also.

I would be tempted by the diesel due to the better torque of those engines and better mpg. But I would be wondering if the drive each day was conducive to the particle filter regeneration behaving. I have one and my drive to work is 33 miles each way, with 25 miles out of the 33 being fairly fast dual carriageway/motorway with no give ways/roundabouts in that 25 miles. Perhaps some others can comment on this. 

If hilly I wonder how the 1.25 will feel. They tend to be not too bad on the flat but on a hill just get slower and slower. I don't if your missus is happy to pootle along at a fairly slow rate or not. 

With the 1.25 the price looks like you are paying extra for the low mileage compared to the tdci, but will that low mileage really benefit you based on how many years it will take you to get to a mileage where the car might be wearing the engine/gearbox out etc. (an extreme example is my wife's car, it does about 2,500 miles per year and she bought one with 40k on , I said it would be better to get one with much higher mileage at a lower price to save money as she is doing so few miles but she wanted that particular one)

Whilst you will read about a lot of ecoboost engine failures, bear in mind there are a lot of those cars about so the failure rate may still be pretty low. I bought my current tdci two years ago (not brand new), I did consider the ecoboost but felt uneasy about it as it seemed that the engine was working hard at a highly stressed level whereas the TDCI seemed to work at a more relaxed level and i just felt that the TDCI might last a lot longer without self destructing. But maybe I am totally wrong.

I had a previous petrol focus and the hills leading out of the city to where we live, killed the mpg as it needed pushed hard.

She would also be using it every day to go to work which is 20 mike return, with about 16 miles motorway. The diesel is possibly the best bet.

Mark...

Based on 30 miles a day, 5 days a week, that works out as only about 7800 miles a year. Even at 10k miles a year I'd avoid the diesel.

I was thinking of changing my Mk6 Fiesta for an EcoBoost but was hesitant because of the stories of rusty pipes on the turbo, and the engines seemed to be highly stressed. You could use the choice to your advantage - plenty of good deals around for the 1.25 petrol engines.

Yeah will possibly look at the 1.25 engine. 

Does anyone know if I don’t get a 2015 model, can the headlights with the drl’s be put straight into a 2013 or 2014 car with no modifications?

having driven both engines the EcoBoost is better in terms of acceleration and fuel economy. 1.25 I averaged approx 320 miles to the tank the 1.0 EcoBoost 420  miles to the tank also the EcoBoost archives zero road tax 

• Like 1

My 2p, the ecoboost may go pop but so may a 1.25. the ecoboost pulls from low revs whereas the 1.25 needs to be doing 3-4000 to start pulling properly.

I've had both, I'll keep my ecoboost

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club