Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlight help

sj9

Hello everyone,

Hope you can help me. A necessary advisory on my last MOT was for the headlights on my 2003 ford fusion to be cleaned up. bulbs are fine. So the casing itself. How do you get to these to get them off in order to get them cleaned up please?

Thank you in advance

generally people suggest putting the headlight in your oven for 10 - 15 minutes, glass side down and then the glue softens and melts and you can carefully separate the glass from the housing, never tried it myself, seems open to all sorts of dangers with burnt fingers, and then you need to reglue the glass back on, general advice seems to be silicone but not too sure if that would work, personally I would buy a cheap pair of aftermarket ones, or even some secondhand ones, from eBay or amazon

They do haze over due to ozone. I cleaned mine up with toothpaste. Google it fella. 

Are you talking about the plastic lenses all oxidized, no need to take them off if that's the case, I tried several ways to clean mine, eBay has sellers who sell so called headlight cleaner, didn't work for me, tooth paste is supposed to work but best method I have found {If you have the equipment} is a product by Meguiars called Plast.RX, Under a £10 a bottle, I use this with a car detailing machine and a medium sponge on it, 5 mins work cleans them up nearly like new, then I simply give them several coats of Hard wax and polish in between each coat, they'll last all year like that, if they start to "yellow up" a bit , give them a quick wizz again, no harsh methods like wet and dry needed and far better results, simply mask around each headlight on the paintwork and buff away. 

You have the earlier fusion model so there are normally quite a few spares on eBay if a spare is needed, once you get past the 2005 models (I think) the headlights changed a bit and they aren't so easy to get hold of on fleabay , seem to always be upwards of £35 + P+P when they are available.

My C-max also has plastic lenses so that gets the same treatment to 😀

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club